fasting sugar 5.7

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello. What are peoples opinions on a fasting reading of 5.7? What category does that put someone undiagnosed in?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. What are peoples opinions on a fasting reading of 5.7? What category does that put someone undiagnosed in?
None, not really. There's something called dawn Phenomenon, it's your liver dumping glucose to give you energy to start the day. Thing is, if you have a restless night, woke early and tested late, had nightmares or had a cat that thought it'd be cool to use you as a trampoline at 3 a.m., it'll start dumping a bit early or more than required. What's more telling is what sugars do around meals. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If that's off, you have something to work with.

Technically speaking, 3.9 to 5.4 mmols/l would put you in the normal range. You're just barely over, and a meter has a 15% margin of error, so... Far as that goes, you're fine.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
None, not really. There's something called dawn Phenomenon, it's your liver dumping glucose to give you energy to start the day. Thing is, if you have a restless night, woke early and tested late, had nightmares or had a cat that thought it'd be cool to use you as a trampoline at 3 a.m., it'll start dumping a bit early or more than required. What's more telling is what sugars do around meals. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If that's off, you have something to work with.

Technically speaking, 3.9 to 5.4 mmols/l would put you in the normal range. You're just barely over, and a meter has a 15% margin of error, so... Far as that goes, you're fine.

These are good points. One of the symptoms I have which is more apparent in the mornings and especially after higher carbs/ sugar is my skin is very yellowy. I thought maybe I was just paranoid until a work colleague mentioned it. I had bloods taking and apparently liver numbers were all ok.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are good points. One of the symptoms I have which is more apparent in the mornings and especially after higher carbs/ sugar is my skin is very yellowy. I thought maybe I was just paranoid until a work colleague mentioned it. I had bloods taking and apparently liver numbers were all ok.
https://www.diagnose-me.com/what-causes/yellow-skin-color.php and Carotenemia might be worth a little research. Usually turning a different color does indicate something's off somewhere, so don't just leave it, okay?

Reactions: EllieM