fasting v post prandial numbers

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

I just wanted to ask my fasting blood sugars are now in the 5s but my post prandial can get up a bit depending on what I eat , I am not eating a tonne of carbs but im mostly vegan at the moment. I dont eat crackers bread potato rice pasta at all. Why would this happen ? is it the post prandial numbers that may give me a higher hba1c. I can get up to the 9s depends what I eat normally the 7s or 8s though again just depends

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we would need to know what you are eating... I'm guessing that vegan Low Carb is relatively difficult to achieve. If your FBG is low and your post prandial is high then it really must be caused by something you are eating.

Reactions: coleyd

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are carbs in a heck of a lot of things. Could you keep a food diary for a few days, totting up every carb in everything. You may be surprised how they add up. All the green veg, any root veg, the fruit, the mixed macro protein sources, and so on.

Personally, if I eat more than 20g carbs in a session, then that will show significantly in my test results. And I do best with less than 20g a day.

You may have a much better carb tolerance than that, but it is more about your individual carb tolerance, than about how many carbs you eat. To put it another way, if your carb tolerance is (for example) 60 g a day, and you eat 80g, then that is too much and will result in too high blood glucose, doesn't matter that 80g is still in the low carb range, and that other people can tolerate it very well.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I was trying to say but Brun always puts it so much better...

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the reply, today for example

Breakfast was tofu scramble with spinach and mushrooms and 10g of 74 % chocolate

Lunch was a leafy salad with vegan cheese hemp seeds and a small apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter

Later i will have a smoothie of pea protein 100 % pure no additives with half a banana and almond milk and almond butter and possibly some flaxseeds

Dinner will be some bean loaf (cannelini beans about half a cup) with cauliflower rice and sauteed courgette. later if im not sitting in the 8s (which I was even 3 hours after dinner and was starving) then I could have a banana with another 10g (1 square of dark chocolate) and some seed or nut butter about an hour before bed. if im in the 8s i will just have 10 almonds

My calorie intake is not that high either its around 1300 odds today , Im using chronometer to track

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply, today for example

Breakfast was tofu scramble with spinach and mushrooms and 10g of 74 % chocolate

Lunch was a leafy salad with vegan cheese hemp seeds and a small apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter

Later i will have a smoothie of pea protein 100 % pure no additives with half a banana and almond milk and almond butter and possibly some flaxseeds

Dinner will be some bean loaf (cannelini beans about half a cup) with cauliflower rice and sauteed courgette. later if im not sitting in the 8s (which I was even 3 hours after dinner and was starving) then I could have a banana with another 10g (1 square of dark chocolate) and some seed or nut butter about an hour before bed. if im in the 8s i will just have 10 almonds

My calorie intake is not that high either its around 1300 odds today , Im using chronometer to track

A lot of this may be a function of time ? How long have you been on vegan LCHF ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
oooh yeah I noticed on chronometer that my carbs for today are 153g almost, so hard getting it lower as i dont eat root veg even, so weird

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so im not in the low carb range with 153g am i ! oh dear. its the vegan thing that i was eating that contributed to the type 2 in the 1st place with my M.E I cant do much exercise I have lost 2 stone though but still, I have been on this a few months but im not 100 % like above food diary I eat that way most of the time, i prefer kidney beans and chickpeas and tend to sometimes have quinoa too

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you, I would go through all those foods, checking each one of them on an online nutrition source (I use Tescos website which gives the nutritional values, carbs and so on of every item they sell), and tot up all those carbs.

For example, depending on the size of your banana half and small apple, you could be over 30g carbs with just those.

I spike (disproportionately and absurdly!) with any pulses. I have given up hummus, dahl, and even red kidney beans in chilli. Very sad, but worth it for my numbers. So you may find that there are particular food types that affect your bg more than others, if you do a bit of comparable testing.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
what I mean above is that I used to eat a tonne more carbs per day and had no idea about spacing food out and grazed all day all while being overweight and mostly housebound and it seemed to creep into type 2 so fast as they were checking my hbaic and it was always ok until it wasnt this past February

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh dear! I could not get enough nutrients if I didnt eat pulses and beans. I even have a savoury breakfast now in place of the oats I used to have lol , I think that works even for the M,E thing and the type 2

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Bananas, apples and pulses all spike my BG. :(

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree that those foods are pretty high carb as is quinoa thats cray carbs even in half a cup serving according to cronometer and its a seed not even a proper grain lol

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
and 25g carbs in a medium apple :( I dont understand all the vegan drs that have books say its fat not carbs and there is no way we could eat high carb no fat !

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
maybe berries be a better choice then but less satisfying and **** in a smoothie without banana :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegan Low carbing must be a real challenge.
Are you able to add in mayonnaise, coconut oil, hemp oil, rapeseed oil, etc. to make you feel comfortably satisfied, without adding in more grains.

For instance could you have berries with coconut cream, or make some vegan fat bombs with a few cranberries in to give a little fruit flavour but mainly made of the non-carby stuff.

For instance, have you seen these websites:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/weekly-meal-plan-the-low-carb-vegan-menu/

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/roundup/18-keto-fat-bombs/

https://lowcarb-vegan.net/