Fasting.....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
5 hours in to my first fasting 'stint' which started at 5am this morning and will finish at 12 noon - I am starving! :lol: had some high numbers so far so I'm guessing I will have to reduce my morning basal at some stage - which means this not eating lark will be worth it in the end!! it better be as I am seconds away from nibbling my PC mouse :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thanks, but I can't increase them as I am fasting to set the basal at the correct rate?? are you a pump user Carbsrok? Have you been told differently? I have different instructions from my DN team which expressly tell me not to correct unless hypo or above 14 otherwise I will have to abandon the test.....hav eyou been told something different? I would be interested to know, thanks :D

NB - fasting is over now so I have corrected and am back to normal :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
CarbsRok said:
Debloubed said:
5 hours in to my first fasting 'stint' which started at 5am this morning and will finish at 12 noon - I am starving! :lol: had some high numbers so far so I'm guessing I will have to reduce my morning basal at some stage - which means this not eating lark will be worth it in the end!! it better be as I am seconds away from nibbling my PC mouse :wink:

Most people increase their basal when they have high readings :wink:

This is a good guide for basal testing.
http://www.diatribe.us/issues/13/learning-curve.php

Carbsrock was refering to the next day/dose of basal insulin. When on injections, a fasting result with high readings does mean a small increase is required, likewise lowering the dose with low readings. Of course, if you are on the pump this information may differ.

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Nigel, thanks for that, I was aware about the pen side of basal/bolus but am less aware of pumping as I am only 6 days in! although the theory is pretty similar, by all accounts :D

My original post was more about how hungry I was, I was trying to think about anything other than eating!! Not good at the fasting, but hopefully have the basal sorted now - phew! With the pump I can adjust my basal hourly rate rather than adjusting the morning/evening dose of basal which I would have done with the pen....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
Hi Nigel, thanks for that, I was aware about the pen side of basal/bolus but am less aware of pumping as I am only 6 days in! although the theory is pretty similar, by all accounts :D

My original post was more about how hungry I was, I was trying to think about anything other than eating!! Not good at the fasting, but hopefully have the basal sorted now - phew! With the pump I can adjust my basal hourly rate rather than adjusting the morning/evening dose of basal which I would have done with the pen....

I see, your on the pump now! :D

Of course it is somewhat different on the pump adjusting the rate. Yes, fasting does make you hungary, but lately since getting my basel right I often miss meals should I choose, which means I can fast for 10 hours sometimes. Somedays I can do this quite easy and not feel hungary, other times I give in to temptation and eat something and inject.

Good luck wth the pump, the more good stories I hear about pump therapy, the more I convience myself that this could be a possible option to me in the near future. Keep us informed of your progress!

Nigel

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Deb I'm with you on the hell that is fasting, I'm used to snacking through the day so it's just a nightmare not being able to eat for the duration. At least it's only a couple of times a year and you can split it. When I had a small op in January I walked into A&E at 8am and was then waiting until 11.30pm for the surgery, which was under general anaesthetic so nil by mouth for 16 hours, TORTURE!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kegstore said:
Deb I'm with you on the hell that is fasting, I'm used to snacking through the day so it's just a nightmare not being able to eat for the duration.

Kegstore.............................................mind over matter! :wink:

Switch off, don't think about food!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Debloubed said:

Yep, on the pump! was your first clue that my post was on the Pump part of the forum?! :lol: I can't recommend it enough, lots to learn and a big commitment but if you get the chance, go for it! I (weirdly) thought I would miss injecting but I don't miss it at all! Changed my first infusion set on Saturday and have got my first all singing/all dancing insulin cartridge change this eve - keep everything crossed! :p

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
CarbsRok said:
Debloubed said:
Yes I have been pumping for 2 years :)
Do read the link I posted above.

Ah, I see, your profile says you have been type 1 for 99 years but doesn't mention your insulin or your delivery method :lol: I've read the link, I know the score, thanks :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Debloubed said:
noblehead said:
Debloubed said:

Yep, on the pump! was your first clue that my post was on the Pump part of the forum?! :lol: I can't recommend it enough, lots to learn and a big commitment but if you get the chance, go for it! I (weirdly) thought I would miss injecting but I don't miss it at all! Changed my first infusion set on Saturday and have got my first all singing/all dancing insulin cartridge change this eve - keep everything crossed! :p

Nice one Debloubed, didn't see it was in the Insulin Pump Forum! :oops:

I have a habit of just looking at active topics and not looking at the heading.........I know am stupid :cry: Anyway, I don't think that I would miss the injections either, although in truthfulness they don't bother me that much. It would appear that you are coping really well, I hope this continues and you change your insulin tonight without any problems.

Nigel

jopar

Deb

I hate to disapoint you, but one fasting won't mean a cracked morning basal settings, it will only give you an idea where best to make a change to your settings..

Don't make two many changes at one go, just change a hour or perhaps 2 at first, and see how this pans out sometimes a small change can make a lot of difference later...

It can be a frustrating slow process at times, but change too much and you won't know what did and didn't work.. I've seem people who thought that they could change this and that because they had thre fasting test, then got themselves in a right old pickle, as they hadn't taken on board that changing the basal in the morning, would relfect also in the afternoon, which they had also changed because that was out of kilter at the same time etc...

My fist full set and cartridge change, took me round about an hour to accomplish, as I checked then doubled checked the manual, and then rechecked it and doubled checked that at each stage :lol: :oops: But now after 2 years of pumping, I've got it down to a fine art and only take 5-10 minutes... And a cannala change is down in a flash

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
jopar said:
Deb

I hate to disapoint you, but one fasting won't mean a cracked morning basal settings, it will only give you an idea where best to make a change to your settings..

Don't make two many changes at one go, just change a hour or perhaps 2 at first, and see how this pans out sometimes a small change can make a lot of difference later...

It can be a frustrating slow process at times, but change too much and you won't know what did and didn't work.. I've seem people who thought that they could change this and that because they had thre fasting test, then got themselves in a right old pickle, as they hadn't taken on board that changing the basal in the morning, would relfect also in the afternoon, which they had also changed because that was out of kilter at the same time etc...

My fist full set and cartridge change, took me round about an hour to accomplish, as I checked then doubled checked the manual, and then rechecked it and doubled checked that at each stage :lol: :oops: But now after 2 years of pumping, I've got it down to a fine art and only take 5-10 minutes... And a cannala change is down in a flash

thanks, but I don't think that at all! Wish I hadn't posted now, I was hungry and thought I'd share my dislike of fasting with people who may have fasted too - I have zero plans to change anything until my appt next week where I will sit down with my DN and the pump nurse and analyse my 'findings' - as for changing the canula, did that in approx 20 secs on Sat and I don't envisage having any major probs with the cartridge change, I'm more worried about the bubbles! But I will have help in the shape of my other half who also attended the meeting with me last week so hopefully he has remembered what I have forgotten :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Carbsrok, I recognise your friendly advise, did you recognise my humour?! My post was about fasting, how much I didn't enjoy it and that was it, friendly banter, not meant to be a lesson in all things basal. I am aware of basal rates as you don't have to be a pump master to know such things 8) Yes, I am new to pumping and when I've got questions, trust me, I will ask those who have much more experience than me! no need for your post suggesting I think I am an expert as believe me, that is not the case. Last night, mid prime, we had a powercut down my street so no lights for 4 hours. anyone ever primed by candle light cos if you have, please advise me how to do it! :lol: :lol:

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Candlelight sounds so romantic, shame you had to prime at the same time!! I haven't had to do any fasting yet, not looking forward to it at all. I've got to see if my shifts have an impact generally to see if i need to fast for each different shift pattern. Well Horace has been with me for two weeks now and already BG levels are much better than before, hope all is going well for you and the priming during candlelight hasn't resulted in too many bubbles. :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
JANROU said:
Candlelight sounds so romantic, shame you had to prime at the same time!! I haven't had to do any fasting yet, not looking forward to it at all. I've got to see if my shifts have an impact generally to see if i need to fast for each different shift pattern. Well Horace has been with me for two weeks now and already BG levels are much better than before, hope all is going well for you and the priming during candlelight hasn't resulted in too many bubbles. :D

thanks Janrou, if they'd been champagne bubbles with the candle light I wouldn't have minded as much! Think it went ok, 7.1 before bed and 6.5 when I woke which is within my target range so I'm guessing I coped, despite the darkness! :D Good luck with your shift/fasting exercise, keep me posted, would be interested to hear how you get on :)

sugar2

CarbsRok

Well, I have been pumping for a whole 5 days now, and would like to ay thank you for the link..it is now in my favourites.

For whatits worth (not a lot!!) I ddin't read Debs reply as negative about yours and Jopars relies, but I guess something is offensive if offense is takinen, not whether it was meant. I for one really appreciate aall teh help experienced pumper give to us newbies!
Thank you

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sugar2 said:
I for one really appreciate aall teh help experienced pumper give to us newbies!

Ditto :D