Fasting.....

meela83

Hi Deb
I completely agree fasting is hell! I need to do mine again as I know my basals aren't right but just can't bring myself to do it. Running after 30 kids all day and no food is a bad combination lol :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
am going to do the easy option tonight, bed at midnight, test and set the alarm for 2am, 4am and 6am - heck, I get up at 6am anyway so shouldn't be too hard! am leaving the 10am-6pm one til a day when I am not hungry.............which should be on the 12th of never gonna happen!!! :lol:

sugar2

Candlelight! ermm, watch out for the hot wax!

I do have a question though. I am new to pumping too, and have tried the midngth to 5am fast..and have been trying to tweak my basal to get this right. In your experience, should I
a try and get this time period right, before moving on to the next one or
b move through the day, making gradual improvements to each time period in turn, before returning to the orginal timeslot and repeating teh process?

I have years of mdi experience, and know that sometimes an injection you did yesterday, can affect what happens today, but as far as I know, withteh pump, and teh rapid insulins go, it is all over in about 4 hours, so there is no reason why I shouldn't focus on this time perios first?

I want to get this one nailed, as i am due to go away with work for a week, and don't want things to go wrong, whilst on my own in a hotel when I am asleep,

Any advice or experience, very much appreciated!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi ya, not sure I am the best person to offer advice being a newbie myself but my plan is to take each time slot at a time, as perhaps each change will have a knock on effect? I guess the main thing is we are all different so what works for me may not work for you, unfortunately! I am waiting til my next appt next week before I make any tweaks as I am just not confident enough yet :?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I tend to deal with each fasting slot separately, I don't necessarily do them in strict order or even on consecutive days. What you change - if you need to - depends to a great extent on the insulin you're using, because there will still be a delay you need to account for.

For example with Apidra if I got a high reading at 2pm I'd want to increase basal at 1pm to counter it. For NovoRapid I'd probably make the change an hour earlier at midday. Also remember that insulins affect people differently, so you need to work with your situation which is unique (and the most important!).

If you haven't got it already, there's a very good book worth buying and reading (several times): "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh, contains some very useful info on this topic and many others.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I did a fasting last night from 00:00 to 06:30, i had a slight peak at 4-5 should I adjust for this.
My readings were a steady 9.2- 8.9.

Also is it ok to carry on fasting until 13:30 therefore doing 2 back to back :?

Gary

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, I guess it depends on what your targets are? 8-9 would be a bit high for me, but did you set some target levels with your DN? Can you call him/her to double check?

as for continuing the fast, I don't see why not but I am not particularly experienced (or competent!) at fasting. I'm sure someone else who has done more fasting will be along in a minute :D

jopar

Hi Gary

Can see from your siguture that you only just gone onto the pump...

At the moment I would be tempted to leave the night -time adjustments, until you've looked at what your day time basal is doing..

Your blood glucose is maintaining itself very steady, all be it a tad on the higher side.. What you need to do now, is suss out what the day time is up to as this will give a better picture for any adjustments that you might need over-night... If you are running at a good steady level, throughout the day, but this is around the 9ish mark or you get a period of time in the day, that you increase then I would change here first.. Then see how this effects your night readings, it might pull these more into line naturally..

As to fasting, well you can do a 24 hour fasting if you really wanted to.. As long as you took the prcautions of adbandoning if Blood Glucose goes too high or too low and take the appropiate actions... Spliting fastings into sectors is really done so that it's easier for us to carry them out.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Thanks Jopar, I managed another 6 hour fasting from 6:30 to 13:30 blood levels were at a steadyish 9.5. my current basal rate is 0.750.. I am just keen to tweak to get the level a bit lower.
I had a 70 g carb meal at 13:35 my pre level was 7.2 but 2 hours later it was 14.4 which is a bit steep

Gary

jopar

Ouch..

Could be that you might need to change your dinner-time ratio's, but the only real way of telling is to carry out an afternoon fasting to see whats happen, to determin if it's the ratio or the basal rate.. But don't try to alter too much as one go otherwise you won't know which did or didn't do the trick or not...

I would wait a couple of days, and monitor your levels closely over dinner, might give you a notion to whats happening..