Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very insensitive of your father-in-law Shelley, I would make it known to him that he has hurt your feelings and hopefully get an apology from him, whatever you do don't let this get you down.

Take care!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

:) haha my husband text me earlier and said there is nothing wrong with a curve here and there. I suppose now I just see thunder thighs and a big wobbly ass ;) xxx

See as long as your husband is happy and loves you for you that is all that matters! :) I know it is hard for us women but heyho! :) xxx

Reactions: 5 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaaargh! That's such an awful thing to say! He should be grateful for his grandchild, not making comments like that!

Big hugs! I know it's not easy but try to ignore them!
I'm sure your husband loves you the way you are, and his opinion is the only one that really matters!

Reactions: 4 people

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Very insensitive of your father-in-law Shelley, I would make it known to him that he has hurt your feelings and hopefully get an apology from him, whatever you do don't let this get you down.

Take care!!!!

thank you noblehead xx

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
Aaaargh! That's such an awful thing to say! He should be grateful for his grandchild, not making comments like that!

Big hugs! I know it's not easy but try to ignore them!
I'm sure your husband loves you the way you are, and his opinion is the only one that really matters!

thanks Paulina :) xx

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
That's appalling behaviour from anyone, let alone a close family member. If he does it again maybe you could reply - "And you're ugly/bald/big-nosed, but I can lose weight..." obviously this may cause a couple of rows but it might make you feel a bit more empowered and a bit less upset

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People can be just "orrible" sometimes I am a skinny type 2 and I have had comments at functions such as "no wonder you are so skinny you need to get some proper food down you" They were very fortunate not to get proper food down them!!!!
CAROL

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Say to him: Well I maybe fat, but at least I can slim down, but you are ugly, what can you do!

I think Winston Churchill said something like this to a woman who had a go at him, so you are in good company I guess.

I'm fat too, and with students it can be a thing, so I am self-deprecating - I draw attention to it first when appropriate of course and then say I'm a work in progress! :)

However, I also know that these sorts of comments can be very hurtful and it can take a few days to get on top of it. But you will, and do you know why? because "You is Woman!" Well that's what my wife says.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Braddock: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk"
Churchill: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly :happy:

And on that note as we all agree about the FIL being an insensitive ***** ermm person? and as no one is drunk (l fall into the ugly).....:confused:

Great minds think alike...fools seldom differ..........:hilarious:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just don't take it to heart.

I used to get bullied a lot at school so I know how you feel. People will generally only say something like that if they have their insecurities.

Just make sure you always remind yourself of the great thing you've done.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
There must be a negative aspect to his appearance. Point it out to him. If he says anything tell him that's how you felt. Unless he is rich obviously.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I've been chuntering to myself about this .. ( I'm in an Official Bad Mood , as I've been hanging around for a delivery promised between 7am and 7pm, which will probably arrive at 7.15 pm )...anyway....;)

What gives people the right to negatively comment on other people who are out of the range of "normal size" when they are eating, need to eat, or are anywhere near food or the subject of food ? What business is it of theirs, and what on earth do they think they are going to achieve by it ?

"Oh thanks.. I hadn't realised I'm fat... thank you so much for pointing that out and preventing me from eating a meal that obviously I don't need, I'll just go and starve myself as that seems to be the answer to my problem . And of course I don't mind you saying so, I have no feelings to hurt whatsoever, being other than human and a pariah ."

It seems to me that fatism is one of the more persistent "isms ", and man, I so hate those :mad:

Signy
(skinny, but genetically so. If I wasn't, and wasn't diabetic, I'd give Pavrotti a run for his money )
Chuntering? On a forum? Well I never. Have not heard that word for years.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Braddock: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk"
Churchill: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly :happy:

And on that note as we all agree about the FIL being an insensitive ***** ermm person? and as no one is drunk (l fall into the ugly).....:confused:

Great minds think alike...fools seldom differ..........:hilarious:

It's a pretty amazingly quick witted thing to say whilst inebriated. I think most drunks response would be: "What, what u say, come here I'm goin ter it yer, er, why is the floor coming to meet me?."

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
It's a pretty amazingly quick witted thing to say whilst inebriated. I think most drunks response would be: "What, what u say, come here I'm goin ter it yer, er, why is the floor coming to meet me?."
Well that certainly sounds like drunk talk to me.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My my, even that is lucid compared to Signy after a night on the lash !:D

Signy