Fat head pizza problem

oracle999

Hi,
I attempted to make a fathead pizza last night using the standard almond flour, mozzarella and cream cheese base. The problem was that it stuck to the parchment paper when I was trying to roll it sandwiched between two pieces. also getting it off when cooked was tricky. It tasted good and I'd like to make again but does anyone know a solution to the sticky dough. Thank you

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you pre-bake to half done before adding toppings? It stops the base getting soggy (and sticky) if you use a wet tomato sauce. Also if you pre-bake, it freezes well, just whizz it out, slap on the toppings and bake, instant pizza!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me a couple of goes to get it right, persevere, it's worth it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of mozzarella did you use? The wet stuff tends to do this more than the grated. (Yes I know the grated type is coated with flour. I rinse it and allow to dry if I can be bothered and am concerned enough). Also dust the surface before rolling and perhaps add a little extra flour if it’s really sticky.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't be bothered with rolling I squash it out with my hands, quicker less fuss, fun :)

oracle999

I used the grated mozzarella. I mixed the cheeses first in the microwave and then added the almond flour and egg. It seemed a little dryer than in the fat head video but I managed to get it all mixed

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the gooeyness of the mix is hugely dependent on temperature. A few seconds more or less in the microwave has a significant effect.

Also, I roll/stretch/pull it out on silicon rather than parchment. Am wondering if that makes it easier?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought one of these (not sure if this is the exact size): the flat base comes out and can be used in place of parchment - butter it and roll the dough out on it. No problem with sticking. The holes help to crisp up the base too. I use a carnivore recipe (grated mozzarella/cheddar, cream cheese and ground pork rinds) for the base.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/kitchenwa...-stick-crusty-bake-quiche-tin-u001387300.html

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the grated mozzarella. I mixed the cheeses first in the microwave and then added the almond flour and egg. It seemed a little dryer than in the fat head video but I managed to get it all mixed

OK I tend to use a pan (because we have no microwave) and reckon you get a better mix stirring the ingredients together that way. Also I miss out the egg.

Edit to add... the few times I tried it years ago...in case anyone was worried I had deserted carnivory!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to prebake once on the parchment paper whilst a bit gooey, flip it onto a mesh thingy and bake a bit more. Then top it and finish it off on a third bake.

Still pretty bendy and ends up being folded and eaten calzone style as it’s a bit floppy otherwise. Maybe it needs even longer to maintain some rigidity

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - just throw in some more almond flour till you get the right consistency, making sure you mix it in well (i use my hands). I also do not use the double layers of baking paper - I just use the one to cook it on, and use my hands with a bit of olive oil on them, to 'roll' the pizza base, and shape it for the first round of baking.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @oracle999 - by 'first round', I mean when after you mix the fathead pizza dough, you bake it in the oven for 10-15 mins.

The second round of baking is after you take it out, and add the marinara/pizza sauce as the pizza base, and add your toppings, and pop it back into your lovely hot oven, and further cook for 10-15 mins (depending on how you like your toppings - I'm a browned crispy cheese person, but I have l learnt I have to watch my pizzas very closely at this stage, to make sure the pizza base does not get burnt, but my cheese is yuuuuuuuumy).

(sorry I didn't come back to this thread till today so didn't see your question.)