Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done it.

Very good.

I saw this lady interviewing Prof Panda earlier in the month, she is a very impressive clear communicator:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
A shame the supporting slides were only flashed up briefly. Do PHCUK offer a slide package on its own?

The message is loud and clear. and most of it has already been aired in this Forum but it is nice to have it all in one easily understood package.

Well worth taking the time to view this. Thank you.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A shame the supporting slides were only flashed up briefly. Do PHCUK offer a slide package on its own?

The message is loud and clear. and most of it has already been aired in this Forum but it is nice to have it all in one easily understood package.

Well worth taking the time to view this. Thank you.

You could contact Trudi directly and ask her for them?

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you buy into her diet, she'd probably made it available for subscribers.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a reasonable screen size you could always pause the YouTube video ( its on YouTube) and photograph the screen with a digital camera. D.
The only digital camera I have is built into the screen of my laptop for selfies only. Good idea, but impractical.

I have emailed a request to PHCUK.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Woooo... Excuse the shock, but having read chapters 4 & 5 of Fats That Heal & Fats That Kill... I can actually read and understand all the chemical visualisations and slides... makes me feel much more confident:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Chapter 6: "The Sugar Fat Connection"

He describes sugars as "the hidden parents of the fats that can kill us"...no arguments from me on that:)

Refined SUGARS & syrups:

- simple sugars; glucose, fructose and galactose

- double sugars; sucrose, maltose (in beer), lactose (in milk)

- dextrins, dextrans and syrups; sugarcane, sugar beets, sorghum, maple (honey and maple syrup are included).

Our body digests and absorbs all these rapidly and quickly turns them into saturated fatty acids

STARCHES:

These are glucose molecules bonded together. Enzymes break the bonds gradually turning starches into glucose, so digested more slowly. Refined starches more likely to turn to fat than whole grains.

He makes a note that Protein-Starch mixes are more difficult to digest than protein or starch by itself. Incomplete or poorly digested is the core of bloating and gas.

He makes clear that when we eat fruit year round we tend to build up fat year round.

Carbohydrates & Health Problems:

He makes a case that sedentary lives rich even in complex carbs and fruit leads to early death from CVD, diabetes mellitus (T2) and of course stay away completely from simple sugars.

EXCESS GLUCOSE:

Bodies deal in 2 ways:

- stores as fat

- spills excess into urine

Healing & Fatty Acids:

- killers: long chain FAs from refined sugars lead to stroke, CVD, T2, clogged arteries.

- body can add double bonds and make them unsaturated which can oxidise and damage arteries if diet has no antioxidants. Processed foods often remove antioxidants.

Both SAT and body made unSAT can serve as energy sources, but neither is essential.

Sugars Turn Sour & Vinegar Becomes Fat:

How does our body concert sugar molecules into fats and cholesterol?

When our cell furnaces (mitochondria) break down 6-carbon glucose molecules to produce energy, a step involves creation of 2-carbon acetates (vinegar). These acetates are building blocks for both cholesterol and SAFs. If acetates are produced faster than can be burned burned by our body into carbon dioxide, water, and energy, they pressure enzymes in our cells to hook
them end to end to make SAFs and cholesterol.

So our body can turn excess sugar to fat, but not excess fat back into sugar. It must burn the fat off by activity.

All of our organs can use fat as energy, BUT our brain demands Glucose, glutamic acid or KETONES to function. It cannot use fat.

If no glucose is present in our diet or ketones from a ketogenic diet, our body must make glucose. Since our body cannot turn fat into glucose it must make glucose by converting protein to the brain fuel glucose.

Refined Carbohydrates & Disease:

Author provides an explanation of HyPerGlycemia (high BG) and hyPOglycemia (low BG). And the function of Adrenal glands kicking in with HyPO to mobilise body stores of glycogen and stimulate synthesis of glucose from PROTEINS.

MORE PROBLEMS:

SAFs decrease oxygen to our tissues (hypoxia) choking them by making red blood cells stick together (glication of platelets). Refined sugars can cause significant tissue hypoxia.

Sugars inhibit functions of immune system and increase diseases cause by poor immune function such as colds and flu etc.

Sugars also support development of food allergies including asthma, colitis, joint pain, muscle pain

Sugars increase body's production of adrenaline by 4 times, putting us in permanent state of fight or flight. This stress reaction increase production of cholesterol and cortisone.

Sugars thus play a big role in causing fatty degeneration and degenerative diseases by contributing to the fat and cholesterol our body must carry; by depleting our body's stores of vitamins and minerals; by interfering with essential fatty acid, adrenal gland, and immune system functions; and by their lack of bulk and fiber.

An interesting chapter:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chapter 6: "The Sugar Fat Connection"
........>
MORE PROBLEMS:

SAFs decrease oxygen to our tissues (hypoxia) choking them by making red blood cells stick together (glication of platelets). Refined sugars can cause significant tissue hypoxia.

Sugars inhibit functions of immune system and increase diseases cause by poor immune function such as colds and flu etc.

Sugars also support development of food allergies including asthma, colitis, joint pain, muscle pain

Sugars increase body's production of adrenaline by 4 times, putting us in permanent state of fight or flight. This stress reaction increase production of cholesterol and cortisone.

Sugars thus play a big role in causing fatty degeneration and degenerative diseases by contributing to the fat and cholesterol our body must carry; by depleting our body's stores of vitamins and minerals; by interfering with essential fatty acid, adrenal gland, and immune system functions; and by their lack of bulk and fiber.

An interesting chapter:)
Not sure I agree with some of his conclusions, especially those in the last section Further Problems. He demonises sugar worse than Richard Feinman is doing in USA at the moment (or Robert Lustig for that). I know Adreneline is the fight/flight hormone, and that hypo's can trigger it to give liver dump, but I think his explanation extrapolates it further than that. Maybe he feels IR is actually due to adreneline from sugar, but no one else seems to draw that conclusion.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not sure I agree with some of his conclusions, especially those in the last section Further Problems. He demonises sugar worse than Richard Feinman is doing in USA at the moment (or Robert Lustig for that). I know Adreneline is the fight/flight hormone, and that hypo's can trigger it to give liver dump, but I think his explanation extrapolates it further than that. Maybe he feels IR is actually due to adreneline from sugar, but no one else seems to draw that conclusion.

Thanks for feedback @Oldvatr, could be down to 23 years old second edition and being out in the edge back then and perhaps a little extreme with his conclusions today.

It was great to see a chapter on sugar in a book focused on Fat...of course I get his link.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for feedback @Oldvatr, could be down to 23 years old second edition and being out in the edge back then and perhaps a little extreme with his conclusions today.

It was great to see a chapter on sugar in a book focused on Fat...of course I get his link.

Would be interesting to compare it to the current edition to see if he has changed his ideas in this chapter. I mean, Bernstein has owned up to changing his mind, and Atkins did too. Better we get closer to the truth than hide behind an ego, eh? Few Guru's have been shown to be infallible. I think he did well for 23 years ago.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Would be interesting to compare it to the current edition to see if he has changed his ideas in this chapter. I mean, Bernstein has owned up to changing his mind, and Atkins did too. Better we get closer to the truth than hide behind an ego, eh? Few Guru's have been shown to be infallible. I think he did well for 23 years ago.

The sad thing is this was his last edition, so perhaps most of those 200,000 in print are still boxed up in his garage:)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
demonises sugar worse than Richard Feinman is doing in USA
Where did you get this idea? I've read his book, watched interviews and read blogposts where Dr Feinman disagrees mightily with Lustig's stance on fructose. My impression was that Feinman believes all carbs are the issue, not that sugar is particularly toxic.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where did you get this idea? I've read his book, watched interviews and read blogposts where Dr Feinman disagrees mightily with Lustig's stance on fructose. My impression was that Feinman believes all carbs are the issue, not that sugar is particularly toxic.
It was a rebuttal he made on the ADA nutrition guidelines where he strongly disagreed with their statement
<<sucrose-containing foods can be substituted for other carbohydrates in the meal plan or, if added to the meal plan, covered with insulin or other glucose lowering medications.” While substituting sucrose-containing foods for isocaloric amounts of other carbohydrates may have similar blood glucose effect>> since not all calories are equal. This was reported in the New York Times, but I cannot provide a reference since it was one of my browser travels that I did not track since I was researching something else at the time. The popular press is my source. Looking at the ADA recent guidelines, it seems they did not accept his arguments.
Edit to Add: You are right. Apart from the extract above, i can find no corraboration to my assertion. It was definitely the New York Times, and I was researching SFA not being the big bogeyman we thought, In UK it is, but Richard was mentioned as prime antagonist in the Sugar is Toxic debate in USA, along with Lustig. I took it at face value which was an error on my part. I do not have subscription to NYT so cannot find the article again.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Chapter 7: Liquid Oils & UNsaturated Fatty Acids

The author kicks off by saying the fats that heal contain UnSAT Fat Acids (UFAs) which makes them liquid oils. UFAs differ from SAFAs in only one respect, namely they contain one or more double bonds between carbon atoms in their fatty carbon chain. And for each double bond they have upto 2 hydrogen atoms. Aside from this they are identical:)

Like SAFs they have a methyl end and an acid end and carbon chains of varying lengths.

Properties of the Double Bonds:

The small difference in structure (double bond) DRASTICALLY changes an UFAs properties.

SAFAs and Trans-fatty acids look like straight bodied caterpillars, UFAs look like bent caterpillars. This so called Cis-configuration and kink in the molecule makes them difficult to align and this UFAs aggregate poorly and melt at low temps (are more liquid) than SAFAs.

MUFAs (Monounsaturated F As):

Unseats with just one double bond.

Shortest are 10-carbon chains. C22 and C25 also found, appearing in small quantities in milk. But 12 & 14 are of minor importance nutritionally.

More important is a MUFA with C-16 and double bond between 7 & 8. It is called Palmitoleic Acid and occurs in large quantities in milk., coconut and palm oils. An excess he states of this MUFA can lead to health probs due to chemical conversion into hormone-like prostaglandins.

Most important MUFA has 18-carbon chain with double bond at 9 and 10 and is called Oleic acid. Found in Olive, almond, cashew, macadamia, peanut, pistachio, pecan, canola, avocado, hazelnut, membranes of plants and animal cell structures, and fat deposits of most land animals. OA's fluidity (melts at 15c) helps keep our arteries supple. I found this a fascinating piece of info. It also resists damage by oxygen and is fairly stable.

OA is THe major fatty acid found in the oils from our sweat glands. Our body can also make it from Saturated Fatty Acids.

UNSAT Fat Acids with More Than One Double Bond:

Our author thinks these are the most interesting UNSats. Most important contain 28- carbon atoms and two of these are known as EFAs ( Essential Fatty Acids). Very important in nutrition & vital to health.

First is called Linoleic Acid - often referred to as polyunsaturated. Members of this w6 group also include Gamma-Linoleic acid found in borage, hemp and evening primrose oil.

The second w3 EFA called Alpha-Linoleic acid has three double bonds. It is referred to as SUPERunSaturated to distinguish it and it's family from poly w6 family mentioned first.

W3 UFAs include EPA, and DHA BOTH found in fish oils. These families are commonly called Omega 6 and 3s:)

Natural & Unnatural:

W6 polyunsaturated are shortened to PUFAs. Natural w6 are vital to health but there are also NON-natural man-made w6 which interfere with biological functions. The same is true for w3 SUPERunSats. Again they can be made toxic with artefacts in processing. In the western diet we struggle to get a balanced ratio of omega 6 and 3s and need to work harder to take in w3.

Converts:

Our body converts EFAs to longer more highly UNSats with important functions in brain cells, nerve endings, sense organs, adrenal glands, sex glands, and ALL cells. Some of these EFAs can be supplied by plant seeds, seed oils, fish and marine animals.

I found the whole section on Oleic Acid as a MUFA so fascinating:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chapter 7: Liquid Oils & UNsaturated Fatty Acids

The author kicks off by saying the fats that heal contain UnSAT Fat Acids (UFAs) which makes them liquid oils. UFAs differ from DAFAs in only one respect, namely they contain one or more double bonds between carbon atoms in their fatty carbon chain. And for each double bond they have upto 2 hydrogen atoms. Aside from this they are identical:)

Like SAFs they have a methyl end and an acid end and carbon chains of varying lengths.

Properties of the Double Bonds:

The small difference in structure (double bond) DRASTICALLY changes an UFAs properties.

SAFAs and Trans-fatty acids look like straight bodied caterpillars, UFAs look like bent caterpillars. This so called Cis-configuration and kink in the molecule makes them difficult to align and this UFAs aggregate poorly and melt at low temps (are more liquid) than SAFAs.

Did he mention that UFA's are weaker due to double bond, and hence more prone to oxidation damage? This is where plaque is purported to come from. But SFA's are much more stable.
PS whats a DAFA? A SAFA in mufti?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did he mention that UFA's are weaker due to double bond, and hence more prone to oxidation damage? This is where plaque is purported to come from. But SFA's are much more stable.
PS whats a DAFA? A SAFA in mufti?

Yes he did @Oldvatr... Good point. I think I mentioned it later in the edit:)