Fatty liver cause of George Michael's death

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I've just heard on the radio that George Michael's death was due to fatty liver!! - am quite shocked, I have fatty liver but I didn't know you could die from it. Can someone enlighten me please before I worry myself silly? thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just heard on the radio that George Michael's death was due to fatty liver!! - am quite shocked, I have fatty liver but I didn't know you could die from it. Can someone enlighten me please before I worry myself silly? thanks

I don't think you have to worry - he also had massive heart problems which I think may have been the main reason with the fatty liver as a contributing factor. He abused his body for many years with drugs and alcohol- god rest his soul,

Lots of people not just diabetics have fatty liver and live long and healthy lives in ignorance.

I had a lot of respect for George a most generous man and much misunderstood- finally his family can lay him to rest

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's more likely that he died of the cardiomyopathy, and happened to have fatty liver:

Dilated cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart’s ability to pump blood is decreased because the left ventricle is enlarged and weakened. In some cases it is inherited. It can also be caused by viral infections, uncontrolled high blood pressure, problems with the heart valves or excessive drinking or recreational drug use.

Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle. It can be caused by a viral or bacterial infections, and by certain medications, toxins and autoimmune disorders. Symptoms include pain or tightness in the chest, which can spread to other parts of the body.

Reactions: ickihun

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad died last year of Lung Cancer and on his PM report it said CA LUNG and Fatty LIver . It contributed to dads death but it didn't kill him @carina62

Reactions: Prem51

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I don't think you have to worry - he also had massive heart problems which I think may have been the main reason with the fatty liver as a contributing factor. He abused his body for many years with drugs and alcohol- god rest his soul,

Lots of people not just diabetics have fatty liver and live long and healthy lives in ignorance.

I had a lot of respect for George a most generous man and much misunderstood- finally his family can lay him to rest

Thank you. Yes, I too was shocked of his sudden death and I do know that some celebrities abuse their bodies with drugs and alcohol (I think David Bowie also took a lot of drugs in his younger years). I hate having fatty liver (and diabetes) and it's just a constant battle for me to lose weight which I know would help my fatty liver a lot and I try so hard with weight loss. I cannot wait until I am a healthy weight with a healthy BMI.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

people usually do not die from fatty liver... not the kind gotten from eating , when people get fatty liver from drinking there is so much more burdening the liver, and there is many times also and the infectional liver disease also when drugs are in the whole picture..
my sister was told she had fatty liver and so I researched on the subject , and the non alcoholic fattyliver from just being obese was said to not shorten lifespan in itself I read...(turned out from scanning she didn´t have fatty liver anyways)

didn´t George Michael use drugs as well...? think I have read that somewhere...

don´t think you should worry especially , the best way to get rid of fattyliver is to not overeat and to eat a rather high proteinrich food and very low amount of carbs..

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2016...-in-people-with-type-2-diabetes-94851578.html

Last edited:

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think his lifestyle over the years finally caught up with him and his heart just packed in. However with them mentioning the liver specifically I imagine a few people are going to think about this. Surely if George's fatty liver was caused by his drinking and or drug use you would have thought they would specify this, maybe they have I haven't read the pathologist report so don't know.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fatty liver can turn into cirrhosis which is where if too much of the liver is affected, regeneration of the liver cannot happen. The liver regenerates all the time, unless cirrhosis prohibits.
I think fatty liver can prohibit medication from being as effective as it should be. Not processed as it should be.
Fatty liver can be easily reversed. Cut out fruit and other carbs.
I got rid of mine!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fatty liver can turn into cirrhosis which is where if too much of the liver is affected, regeneration of the liver cannot happen. The liver regenerates all the time, unless cirrhosis prohibits.
I think fatty liver can prohibit medication from being as effective as it should be. Not processed as it should be.
I got rid of mine!

It takes years for the most serious stages to develop

This is what the NHS has to say about it.

Stages of NAFLD
NAFLD develops in four main stages.

Most people will only ever develop the first stage, usually without realising it. In small number of cases it can progress and eventually lead to liver damage if not detected and managed.

The main stages of NAFLD are:

1. simple fatty liver (steatosis) – a largely harmless build-up of fat in the liver cells that may only be diagnosed during tests carried out for another reason
  2. non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) – a more serious form of NAFLD, where the liver has become inflamed; this is estimated to affect up to 5% of the UK population
  3. fibrosis – where persistent inflammation causes scar tissue around the liver and nearby blood vessels, but the liver is still able to function normally
  4. cirrhosis – the most severe stage, occurring after years of inflammation, where the liver shrinks and becomes scarred and lumpy; this damage is permanent and can lead to liver failure (where your liver stops working properly) and liver cancer
It can take years for fibrosis or cirrhosis to develop. It's important to make lifestyle changes to prevent the disease from getting worse.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got rid of mine!

I thought the liver only did try to clean the body from the medication, not that the liver was distributing it, but maybe you are right in that too...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I thought the liver only did try to clean the body from the medication, not that the liver was distributing it, but maybe you are right in that too...
If the liver isn't working properly its not cleaning/filtering the drug properly. Metformin works on the liver to help block glucose distribution. All drugs work differently but liver primarily a filter. Like kidneys.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the liver isn't working properly its not cleaning/filtering the drug properly. Metformin works on the liver to help block glucose distribution. All drugs work differently but liver primarily a filter. Like kidneys.

yes you are right about that , thank you for explaining

Reactions: ickihun

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fatty Liver can be managed and treated . Fatty liver is also similar to type 2 diabetes inthe sense that it's a wake up call ....change of lifestyle is needed !

My dad was very old school and his favourite snack since he was a little boy was a sugar butty . Till my dad started work at 14 years old in the cotton mill his diet was appalling and his childhood contributed to the kind of things he ate in later life

Reactions: Bluetit1802

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Not quite, the Liver also produces most of the Cholesterol found in your body and other substances needed by the body so saying its primarily a filter is short changing it..

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made myself cry :arghh:.....I wasn't calling my dad

Michael4450

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Rubbish he died from naturally causes there is no set age as to when you should die

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is a difference between NAFLD which is NON alcoholic fatty liver disease and fatty liver caused by alcohol. From what you have said the news reported there is no way of telling which one.

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rubbish he died from naturally causes there is no set age as to when you should die
True, but drugs and alcohol use in the past will have exacerbated or caused both of the conditions which culminated in his death. A natural death, maybe, but still untimely.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

So is Metformin bad for the Liver or some kind of cause of a fatty one? You'll have to forgive my ignorance if i'm wrong here, only the mere mention of this drug and any disease starts me flapping. Tbh i'm a little paranoid now i'm taking a cocktail of drugs for blood pressure, statin and metformin

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So is Metformin bad for the Liver or some kind of cause of a fatty one? You'll have to forgive my ignorance if i'm wrong here, only the mere mention of this drug and any disease starts me flapping. Tbh i'm a little paranoid now i'm taking a cocktail of drugs for blood pressure, statin and metformin
In my exerience metformin benefits definitely outway an occasional loose tum. I have better hormone control, weight control and bg control for starters. I benefit from metformin enormously!
Metformin doesn't cause fatty liver - carbs do!

Reactions: Johnjoe13