1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Faulty insulin pen needles

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Fatima_94, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Fatima_94

Fatima_94 Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of months my GP changed my usual insulin pen needles to PenFine needles ( this one: https://www.mylife-diabetescare.co.uk/mylife-penfine-classic-overview.html) but on the rare occasion, I've noticed that a needle was faulty. Disappointingly, I would usually only notice this after wondering why my sugar didn't react to the insulin. I would then proceed to check underneath the needle and to my surprise would see that the inner part of the needle was not there (to connect it to the insulin pen!) This happens very rarely, but it's still unacceptable. If you have these needles, be weary and make sure to air shot beforehand.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Fatima_94 I've been using those needles for as long as I can remember and not noticed any issues. I'm hoping you've just had a dud batch. Try a new box and if it doesn't improve ask your GP to prescribe a different product.

J

• Like Like x 2
  3. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Please ensure you report this to the MHRA website and to your doctor.

In such instances you should keep the needles and take them in to your GP / DSN and ask for the better brand BD Needles and no compromise.

You should also ask them if they report these instances to the MHRA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Levy

Levy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As previous responses, make sure to report it. In the meantime, you could do a 1u test/prime on every new needle attached so you can see that insulin is flowing out before you inject yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook