Faulty insulin pen needles

Fatima_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of months my GP changed my usual insulin pen needles to PenFine needles ( this one: https://www.mylife-diabetescare.co.uk/mylife-penfine-classic-overview.html) but on the rare occasion, I've noticed that a needle was faulty. Disappointingly, I would usually only notice this after wondering why my sugar didn't react to the insulin. I would then proceed to check underneath the needle and to my surprise would see that the inner part of the needle was not there (to connect it to the insulin pen!) This happens very rarely, but it's still unacceptable. If you have these needles, be weary and make sure to air shot beforehand.

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fatima_94 I've been using those needles for as long as I can remember and not noticed any issues. I'm hoping you've just had a dud batch. Try a new box and if it doesn't improve ask your GP to prescribe a different product.

J

Reactions: Fatima_94 and Dodo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of months my GP changed my usual insulin pen needles to PenFine needles ( this one: https://www.mylife-diabetescare.co.uk/mylife-penfine-classic-overview.html) but on the rare occasion, I've noticed that a needle was faulty. Disappointingly, I would usually only notice this after wondering why my sugar didn't react to the insulin. I would then proceed to check underneath the needle and to my surprise would see that the inner part of the needle was not there (to connect it to the insulin pen!) This happens very rarely, but it's still unacceptable. If you have these needles, be weary and make sure to air shot beforehand.

Please ensure you report this to the MHRA website and to your doctor.

In such instances you should keep the needles and take them in to your GP / DSN and ask for the better brand BD Needles and no compromise.

You should also ask them if they report these instances to the MHRA.

Reactions: Fatima_94 and Dodo

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

As previous responses, make sure to report it. In the meantime, you could do a 1u test/prime on every new needle attached so you can see that insulin is flowing out before you inject yourself.

Reactions: Fatima_94