Faulty Strips ?

dipsydo

I have an Accu Chek Aviva which up to now I had been really happy with despite the expensive strips.

Suddenly I went one morning from 5.9 to 7.3 and as I had a stressful day ( a funeral and a long drive) I thought this might have caused the high but it continued to be much higher averaging 6.98 when previously had been averaging 5.46 . I reduced carbs and upped exercise but bsg was not falling so was getting worried. However came to the end of a tub of strips and the first new strip gave a 5 and since then the average is back to the 5's of old.

I thought I would contact Roche about the fact that it looked like I had faulty tub of strips detailing the averages and how the bsg changed with the new tub . I stated that I knew that the tolerance was +/- 15% but felt that the tub of strips was outside this tolerance .

I was shocked by their response which was a condescending e mail on the lines of explaining in great detail how take a test, that I should wash my hands when I test and that one test does should not be taken in isolation It ignored the fact that I clearly stated I had higher average was based 42 results and that as soon as had a new tub of strips I was back to my "normal". Talk about teaching a grandmother to suck eggs !

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that I had had a faulty set of strips ?

PS I am so annoyed by the customer "service" that I have ordered a Tee 2 meter and 3 lots of strips at less than the cost of 50 Accu chek strips on the basis that if I am going to have inaccurate readings then I might as well have a cheaper version

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
did any of the test results cause you to alter medication for treatment ?

dipsydo

No I am just on trying to manage things via diet and this had been working really quite well until I had the odd results - never had anything like this before . I had thought it was the stress of the funeral but then it continued and I was at a loss why it was happening . The empiric evidence indicated some fault with the strips but any other suggestions greatly received .

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar problem with a whole batch (10 pots) of Code Free strips. I'm relatively new to this diabetes game, only diagnosed in May. By late June/Early July I was seeing pleasing numbers mostly 5s and occasional 6s. But then it all changed! It switched to mostly 6s with the occasional 5, I was racking my brains what had changed, nothing really. I was worrying that my new found control was unravelling. Then last week I opened a new delivery of strips and Bingo! Back to mostly 5s with occasional 6s. I don't rely on the readings for medication, just my peace of mind. I posted here about it and after suggestions from other forumites, I'm now recording when I change pot and the Batch numbers

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
stress can play a bigger part than we sometimes give it credit for.

remember that D is a lifelong chronic condition we live with -- so a "blip" of a few weeks with readings +15-20% is of course something to be aware of

but in my opinion nothing to be too worried about - I normally test about 10 times a day and have done for the last 20 years :)

Reactions: azure

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
stress can play a bigger part than we sometimes give it credit for.

remember that D is a lifelong chronic condition we live with -- so a "blip" of a few weeks with readings +15-20% is of course something to be aware of

but in my opinion nothing to be too worried about - I normally test about 10 times a day and have done for the last 20 years :)
I agree stress does. I notice significantly higher readings after a stressful event. The M25 does a good job of raising my readings! :banghead:

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Rachox -- complete agreement -- and as you probably drive the M25 Monday to Friday -- your stress levels will be higher than at a weekend -- measuring BG's needs to be looked at in patterns over a period of time to develop strategy in treating

D

Deleted member 308541

The M25 does a good job of raising my readings! :banghead:
Not only stress but it gave me the "scours" last time I drove a car on it in 1986. I come out of the Dartford Tunnel then first gear all the way to the Redhill exit junction 9 when I wanted to get off at the Reigate exit junction 8.

A French truck driver rolled a truck load of carbon black just before junction 8 and blocked the road till it was all cleared away. *****!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox -- complete agreement -- and as you probably drive the M25 Monday to Friday -- your stress levels will be higher than at a weekend -- measuring BG's needs to be looked at in patterns over a period of time to develop strategy in treating
Don't worry I don't drive the M25 that often, it just happens to be the route from my home to my son's Uni and also Luton, Gatwick and Heathrow airports! Today the M25 was fresh in my mind as I've been to pick up my daughter, who loves travelling, up from Luton!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was shocked by their response which was a condescending e mail on the lines of explaining in great detail how take a test, that I should wash my hands when I test and that one test does should not be taken in isolation It ignored the fact that I clearly stated I had higher average was based 42 results and that as soon as had a new tub of strips I was back to my "normal". Talk about teaching a grandmother to suck eggs !

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that I had had a faulty set of strips ?

PS I am so annoyed by the customer "service" that I have ordered a Tee 2 meter and 3 lots of strips at less than the cost of 50 Accu chek strips on the basis that if I am going to have inaccurate readings then I might as well have a cheaper version

I can well understand your reaction to that email dypsydo, I've no doubt that I would feel the same. I think it would be worth replying to let them know how shocked you were by their poor customer service; that you found their reply patronising and condescending and that their response clearly has ignored the complaint regarding (possibly) faulty test stripts, contained in your original contact with them. As a result of their unacceptable behaviour you have now taken your business elsewhere. Thing is, is your change to TEE2 likely to be permanent, or do you plan (or might want) to return to Accu Chek at some stage in the future? When your annoyance had calmed down a little, think about what's best for you, and moderate the words accordingly. But I'd still let them know that you found their response unacceptable towards a customer of xx duration, has been diabetic for xx years and is fully conversant with testing procedures.

:)

dipsydo

Thanks for the helpful posts . I did draft a reply e mail to Roche but did the sensible thing thing and left in draft so not yet sent . I will tone it down ! Also will have the Tee will give me an alternative . It does make testing and interpretation a bit more of an art than the science I thought it should be . I guess I have to put all down to experience .