Favourite bands / Artists in history

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Slightly digressing . My dad used to say that when he returned home and opened the door, he knew straight away which of my older brothers were home ( oldest was 12 when I was born), because of the music playing on their record player :)
On the record player .....:headphone: sounds so quaint now.
I remember when we had a gramaphone player!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Anyone remember The Edgar Broughton Band?
Probably the best live band I ever saw.
Trouble was he'd be dragged off stage by the police nearly every show because he'd refuse to stop and the audience would be going wild the management pulling their hair out.
Back in the days of long hair loons and Jazz cigarettes.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I was born in 1954, and my memory of who I liked best in the decades concerned at the time is probably

1950s too young
1960s Beach Boys
1970s King Crimson
1980s New Order
1990s Radiohead
2000s Goldfrapp
2010s Imogen Heap

From the perspective of the present, I would go for Billie Holliday in the 50s, The Doors in the 60s, not sure about the 80s but not New Order especially, too many to choose from.

But I prefer modern jazz anyway, so that list would be something like

1950s John Coltrane
1960s Miles Davis
1970s John McLaughlin
1980s Terje Rypdal
1990s John Scofield
2000s Dave Holland
2010s Phronesis

We were obviously separated at birth! (Well, nearly: I'm a couple of years younger than you :p) because a list from me would be very similar. I particularly love Miles, in all his manifestations, and was a big fan of King Crimson when I was a callow youth - particularly the line up that recorded "Larks' Tongues in Aspic".

Not sure where I'd put them, but I would have to add Richard Thompson to my personal list - one of our greatest living songwriters and guitarists - and John Martyn (ditto, but sadly deceased).

Going back to Miles, when my kids were very young, I could sometimes soothe them by putting "Kind of Blue" on the stereo. As they got older, if I wanted them out of the room, I'd put on "Bitches Brew" instead. Horses for courses :D

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Bellowhead are in Crawley 16th April, so I'm trying to decide if it's too far. They are on in Southampton but I hate the sound in Southampton Guildhall so won't go and see bands there.

Couldn't agree more - Southampton Guildhall must be one of the worst venues in the country: the sound comes out as an indistinct mush and anything that gets through to your ears is interrupted by the constant chatter from the bar, particularly as they insist on leaving the doors open. I've given up going to anything there.

Saw Bellowhead a couple of years ago, in Salisbury - a great live band and well worth travelling to watch them.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
We were obviously separated at birth! (Well, nearly: I'm a couple of years younger than you :p) because a list from me would be very similar. I particularly love Miles, in all his manifestations, and was a big fan of King Crimson when I was a callow youth - particularly the line up that recorded "Larks' Tongues in Aspic".

Not sure where I'd put them, but I would have to add Richard Thompson to my personal list - one of our greatest living songwriters and guitarists - and John Martyn (ditto, but sadly deceased).

Going back to Miles, when my kids were very young, I could sometimes soothe them by putting "Kind of Blue" on the stereo. As they got older, if I wanted them out of the room, I'd put on "Bitches Brew" instead. Horses for courses :D

I think you're right :cool:. Larks Tongues in Aspic, especially side 1, one of my all time favourite albums. Saw the album tour in 73 with the manic Jamie Muir on percussion, then the Starless tour in 74 without him (at the Liverpool Empire while at uni). Soft Machine Third and Fourth, Pawn Hearts, still good today.

C

chris lowe

King Crimsons' Court of the Crimson King was my faveourite. 21st Century Schitzoid Man, prog rock at it's proggiest! Richard Thompson is Mr Chris' hero, so much talent and brilliant songwriter, and his version of OOps I did it again from 1000 years of Popular Music is an absolute classic. Only he could make a teeny pop song sound pretty much decent and to show it all comes around (bit like fashion) he does a little bit at the end like something from 16th c