Favourite Book

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here’s a question to get to know everyone. What is your favourite book and why?

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite set of books is A Song of Ice and Fire (George R.R. Martin). Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever finish writing them. Why? Because the writing is full of detail that's not in other books that I've read. He's, in my opinion, an amazing writer. When he writes. My second favoruite set of books in C.S.Lewis and and the Narnia series. I like those books because they let me escape into a world that while not perfect at least has Turkish Delight which I think is very yummy

Last edited:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Can’t say I have a favourite book but I read all the time , I tend to have favourite authors rather than books love Wilbur Smith and have read his books more than once. At the moment I’m full into James Patterson have done the complete” Private” series now doing Alex Cross read the first one only about 16 to go , I have to say I use to be a real book reader but now I use an e reader never thought I would but it helps my ageing eyes as I make the print bigger lol

Reactions: jjraak

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t say I have a favourite book but I read all the time , I tend to have favourite authors rather than books love Wilbur Smith and have read his books more than once. At the moment I’m full into James Patterson have done the complete” Private” series now doing Alex Cross read the first one only about 16 to go , I have to say I use to be a real book reader but now I use an e reader never thought I would but it helps my ageing eyes as I make the print bigger lol
You have very good taste. I agree 100%

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes like using an iPad and downloading books as you can change the font size but still love paperbacks and the feeling of getting a new book.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My favourite authors are Jodi Taylor and Angela Marsons.
The Chronicles of St Marys series followed by the Time Police series are five stars on Amazon.
And so is the Kim Stone series written by Angela.

as a kid reading Dune was unbelievable.

In my time I have read many American civil war non fiction, lots of WWII non fiction, Napoleonic wars including the whole Sharp series. Also a lot of fiction in historical dramas.

At one time Harry Turtledove had my attention for his American series of what if books. Read some of them also by many different writers.

And more!

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It's hard to say why. A lot of interesting thoughts, emotions and passions elevated to the absolute. This is the anatomical theater of the human soul. I know that people say about Dostoevsky that it is difficult to read, but I read this book in 6 days and reread it many times. It's really something that has left a mark on my soul. I don't agree that reading these books makes you depressed, but I understand why people say that. I just love it, despite everything that is said about the author and the work.

Reactions: Larissima

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to switch genres so if I read a war book I will then go for a romance book or an autobiography. Do any of you belong to a book club?

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t belong to a book club either but when I’m reading a book I like to read at my own leisure. My favourite book has got to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin as it reminds me of a time before phones and the way you they dressed. Also like the Harry Potter books and The Secret Garden because of the magic and the words they use.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don’t belong to a book club either but when I’m reading a book I like to read at my own leisure. My favourite book has got to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin as it reminds me of a time before phones and the way you they dressed. Also like the Harry Potter books and The Secret Garden because of the magic and the words they use.
If you like these sorts of books. Jodi Taylor first book in the St Mary's chronicles will be just right for you.
And probably free of very cheap as an ebook. It's called.......'Just One More Damned Thing After Another '.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dostoyevski changed me, especially The Idiot. I read his books in my very early twenties and he's my favourite ever since. I reread them often.

Reactions: Zhnyaka

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m about to start a murder mystery book but I’ll check out the Jodi Taylor books afterwards.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a prolific reader since I was tiny, I read lots of genre’s in fiction, police procedure, psychological thrillers, romance, chic lit, I also like autobiographies. I have lots of favourites and couldn’t name one, but a book that made one of the greatest impressions on me was Gerald Durrell My Family And Other Animals, I read it when I was about 10 years old and his life as a child in Corfu sounded idyllic, It’s been a lifelong wish to visit the real Corfu (not the touristy bit) I don’t know if it will ever happen because of home circumstances but never say never.

Another book I always remember with a smile is 101 Dalmatians, I read it in one night when I was 6 or 7, I still remember looking at the clock when I’d finished and it was 1.50 a.m. and my eyes were stinging with lack of sleep and I remember thinking haha I beat the sandman lol

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Dostoyevski changed me, especially The Idiot. I read his books in my very early twenties and he's my favourite ever since. I reread them often.
Wow, I didn't expect to find a Dostoevsky fan on this forum! I was 14 when I first read the idiot and I just fell in love with Prince Myshkin (my tastes were already strange then, weren't they?). I see that you are from Canada, may I ask a stupid question, but what do foreigners find in Dostoevsky? I know that he is very popular in the West and that there is even an article on the German wikipedia dedicated to the word "надрыв", but still, what do you like about him? I think he's too much about Russia

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven’t read those 2 books just the seven in the Harry Potter series. I know she also writes under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. I read it back in the 80's. It changed the way I thought about science. I still reflect on it all these years later.

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started this book.

Attachments

• IMG_1673608630.699383.jpg
    IMG_1673608630.699383.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, I didn't expect to find a Dostoevsky fan on this forum! I was 14 when I first read the idiot and I just fell in love with Prince Myshkin (my tastes were already strange then, weren't they?). I see that you are from Canada, may I ask a stupid question, but what do foreigners find in Dostoevsky? I know that he is very popular in the West and that there is even an article on the German wikipedia dedicated to the word "надрыв", but still, what do you like about him? I think he's too much about Russia
Prince Myshkin is part of me. Dostoyevski's characters are so real for me and I really admire the way he portrays them. Though his books take place in Russia, I relate easily to them, maybe it's partly because I also live in a cold country. Most of all I love the way he portrays how and what his characters think. I enjoy the ideas about politics, religion, forgiveness and psychology. The conversations are amazing.