Favourite low carb meal

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Yes, not too much. You need to balance the sweetness of the PB with the heat of the chilli too.

Serve it with the leaks or beansprouts.

Reactions: lizdeluz

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
Lamb's liver is cheap and nutritious but difficult to cook well. I hated it as a child; my mum's cooking turned it into something more fit to sole one's shoes with than to eat. But since starting a LCHF diet, I have been eating it quite frequently, though I haven't yet been able to tempt my husband. This is a recipe I devised recently which is my best yet.
Please note that the quantities are not fixed, so adjust according to one's carb intake and one's liking.
Slice the liver as thin as possible, about 2 mm thick. Marinade in cider (or white wine) vinegar with dried oregano and freshly ground black pepper for about half an hour, turning regularly.
Meanwhile, melt some dripping (or use olive oil) in a frying pan. Slice and fry some onion with a rasher (optional) of chopped, smoked, streaky bacon. Add Ras el Hanout spice mixture, (recipes available online if not available in the supermarket), fry for a minute or two more, turn off the gas and leave. Heat a plate.
Five minutes before mealtime, reheat the onion mixture and then push to one side of the pan. Use a slotted spoon to drain the liver of the vinegar and add it to the hot pan. Flash fry the liver for a few seconds turning constantly. Do not overcook or it will be tough. Then put just the liver on the heated plate and cover - it will continue to cook a little. Add a little water to the onions plus salt to taste and boil quickly to make a thickish sauce, then pour over the liver. Serve at once with a green vegetable or a side salad.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I find the recipe makes a huge amount of creamy sauce.
So what I usually do is fish out the chicken, cheese and olives, and serve them with 'enough' sauce.
Then set the remaining sauce aside to pour over other meals. Very nice over steak, or veg.

I really like this one from DD, but that sauce is very rich. Good tip about saving some though.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Steak, salmon, mushrooms, broccoli, cheese sauce, leeks, cauliflower, courgette, chilli, bolognaise, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, bacon, lamb. Oppo ice cream, nuts, raspberries, strawberries, heavy cream, dark chocolate.
I miss buttery potatoes and marmite on toast but all the above makes some fabulous meal options. Can’t be too sad. Lol.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
This past fortnight, I've been pulling mackerel in on the beach. Early and late sessions. Evening fishing allows me to leave the cleaned fillets in a cure overnight, to be smoked the next day, and turned into smoked mackerel pate. I allow myself half a treasured Lidl protein roll (only a few left in the freezer). Other meals have been panfried/ grilled with extra butter or lemon mayo. Garden salad is all you need.