Favourite low-carb snacks on the go (no refrigeration)?

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Long-distance drive back home this Christmas (6 hrs). Wondering what everyone's favourite low-carb snack is that doesn't need refrigeration?

In non-diabetic times, I'd be normally pulling in at some service station near the Midlands and grabbing an overpriced burger and fries :lol:

(Apart from pork scratching - got that on the list already!)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts (brazils, macadamias, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans), Babybel cheeses (are okay without refrigeration for a day), boiled eggs (also fine for one day), high cocoa content chocolate.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peperami salamis are individually wrapped and don't need refrigeration. Aldi do dark chocolate, nut and sea salt bats that are 5g carbs each. But for 6 hours most things will be ok in a plastic box in the boot in cold weather.

Reactions: notepadplusplus

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, beef jerky? Nuts? Dark chocolate? Flask of chicken broth? (There’s flasks that keep soups warm for over 8 hours), homemade keto bars that you mix and roll into bars and balls?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I eat morning and evening I usually make a flask of coffee and put a water bottle with cream and water in a bag with a cool block.
If I will be out late I usually make a ginormous tuna salad, but I have been known to take a camping stove and some bacon and eggs, even mushrooms and sweet pepper, a sliver of onion, courgette etc.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts, dark chocolate, low carb bars, babybel cheese would be fine in this cold weather for a few hours.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@notepadplusplus - To be honest, in this weather, the lack of refrigeration wouldn't concern me. I'd just put whatever I fancied into a clip-lock box in the boot.

For a 6 hour journey, I'd not want a big full meal, but I'd likely want something decent to eat, rather than nibbles. There's nothing worse than boredom for generating (false) hunger pangs.

For me, that might be a couple of chicken thighs or a chicken portion, with some salad and cheese. It could be decent cooked sausages, a cheese box, hard boiled eggs, gammon, cold cooked salmon, or smoked salmon, but the beauty of the likes of chicken thighs or sausages is wrapped in foil, they can become finger food, negating the need for cutlery.

We bought a couple of these about 18 months ago. They're ace. So often you see claims of keeping drinks hot or cold for x many hours and being disappointed? These don't, in fact, if you don't want to be hanging around waiting for it to be cool, be mindful how hot you make your drink.

If I am going to the office all day, I tend to make a drink and load the flask before I leave home, then leave it in the car all day, in whatever weather, then I have a drink to sip in traffic jams on the way home. It's just plain fab!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0148QIJO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1