FBG 3.2...shaking

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
morning all. Went for a belated Mother's Day meal last night - Chinese. Reading 5.2 first bite. Had mixed seafood hot pot, no rice, no noodles. reading 2.5 hours later 5.3. Woke up 10 mins ago, reading 3.2. Shaking, difficulty concentrating, struggling to type this. Having coffee cream and some berries and Greek yoghurt. Any advice on how to raise sensibly?

Thank you in advance!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Confess I'm not massively experienced with RH but don't you keep sugary drinks (Lucozade, Coke, OJ) for such occasions?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
morning all. Went for a belated Mother's Day meal last night - Chinese. Reading 5.2 first bite. Had mixed seafood hot pot, no rice, no noodles. reading 2.5 hours later 5.3. Woke up 10 mins ago, reading 3.2. Shaking, difficulty concentrating, struggling to type this. Having coffee cream and some berries and Greek yoghurt. Any advice on how to raise sensibly?

Thank you in advance!

What you are doing is sensible to slowly lift your bloods up. It may take a while, but test every half hour to see if they respond, eat sensibly, but you may feel rotten for the rest of the day.
Those Chinese meals hide all sorts of sugars every where even if every thing if freshly cooked.
Hope you will feel a little bit better soon.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Confess I'm not massively experienced with RH but don't you keep sugary drinks (Lucozade, Coke, OJ) for such occasions?

Sorry mate, but it would only exacerbate the way she feels if you drank that stuff and send her hyper then hypo again, sort of a yo yo effect on her blood sugar, thanks for responding!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the responses guys. Feeling a bit better now. I knew the meal was going to be a risk, I should have had a snack before bed as I really didn't eat enough fat yesterday. The OH is off to the shops to get high protein rolls, eggs and smoked salmon for me. I need sustenance for the rugby this afternoon!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only

This is exactly what I used to do when hypo and the results were exactly as Nosher described! It was my instinct this morning to reach for something sugary but thanks to Nosher and Brun I know what I am dealing with and the importance of getting the readings up slowly without spiking and falling into the vicious cycle.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you're feeling better now. We had a family Chinese a few months ago. Feeling apprehensive and not knowing what to eat I rang them and spoke to the chef. He was very helpful but said the only dishes he could do without added sugar were chow mein or chicken/beef with veg. I suggested things that you wouldn't expect there to be sugar in and there was! I stick to Indian now as there's more choice of suitable dishes. Shame though as I love Chinese! Enjoy the rugby

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry mate, but it would only exacerbate the way she feels if you drank that stuff and send her hyper then hypo again, sort of a yo yo effect on her blood sugar, thanks for responding!

OK -that's interesting -I'll obviously have to read up before responding to an RH post again!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is exactly what I used to do when hypo and the results were exactly as Nosher described! It was my instinct this morning to reach for something sugary but thanks to Nosher and Brun I know what I am dealing with and the importance of getting the readings up slowly without spiking and falling into the vicious cycle.

Glad you have it under control.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK -that's interesting -I'll obviously have to read up before responding to an RH post again!

lol
When I first fetched up at this forum I blundered round for weeks reading all the hypo-treatment advice to T1s and T2s on meds thinking
'What!?! You IDIOTS!?!? Are you INSANE?!?!'

Of course now, I know that in those circs, rapid release carbs are the best answer - but really it all comes down to portion control. Even we RHers can benefit from a small controlled dose. The problem comes when your body is screaming for carbs, it is so difficult to stop at just one biscuit, or just one sweet...

Took me ages to get my head round the idea that sugar is a friend, sometimes. lol

Reactions: 7 people