Fear of set changes

Meep

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 11 and have had Diabetes type 1 for 3 years. In Sept 2012 I moved onto an animas pump. Some of the recent set changes have been painful and now I am really scared to do them. The last one took 2 hours to pluck up the courage to do it. Has anyone else had this problem and what can I do about it?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Meep.

Welcome to all of us here :)

I have moved your post into here as you say that you are 11years old with type1 .
In this section there are other young people and their parents who will be able to
assist and support you .

After looking at your profile it - this says that you are type2 diabetic ?

Am sure someone who uses a pump will be along soon to support and help you . :thumbup:

Anna.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Meep,
I'm on the animas pump as well. What type of sets are you using? Some times when you hit a patch of muscle it can be very painful. I'm always a chicken when it comes to changing my sets as I was with injections and doing finger pricks it always takes me ages to press the button and slide a set in. I would suggest maybe asking to try some different types of sets just call animas or get your parents to and get a selection of different types of sets. Some times as well you just need to try a different area of your body to put them in anywhere where there are any giggly bits is a good bet that includes the top of your arms, legs are an excellent place, hips, lower back, bum. The more you rotate your pump sites around the better. Sometimes if you are keeping your sets in the same area a layer of muscle (very small and thin) can form when it's not supposed to be there. This can make putting sets in hurt as well, not to scare you, after a time of not putting insulin in that area it breaks down back into fatty tissue. When I came off injections my legs, where I mainly injected, where very swollen in big lumps after 7 years of injecting after 6 months they were back to normal. I found that I didn't like the automated set firing thingy and prefer to use just manually putting my sets in. With that I can chose the angle and I usually manage to skip the sore muscle bit. I can also change my angle midway if I go too close to sore bits (as I put it in really slowly) and because I'm such a big chicken I don't like pressing the button to fire a set in I would be sitting around until I feel ill with a high before I could press it.

On a differnt note I found that whenever I had cognetive behaviour therapy I learned to put positive thoughts around when I injected or tested my blood sugar and there are things that I still use today that I find really help reduce the stress and anxeity around dealing with my diabetes. Being in a calm relaxed atmosphere when doing things not feeling in a rush, putting on my favourite music and giving yourself a reward after doing anything you don't like. When you change your thoughts around your diabetes sometimes it's easier to deal with the pains and stresses of it.
I'm sure you'll get lots of other replies with tips to make it less sore. Good Luck Laura :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are your sets put in by hand or with an inserted.

I'm an old type 1 with a pump and slim and muscly. I too find sets can be painful to put in on occasions..But putting them in by hand I find that if they feel painful on way in.. It means I'm not in a good place.. So I try another place.. Sometimes just a couple mm's away from the one that was painful.

I cant use my stomach at all because of sets always being painful there. I only use my bum or legs...

I was petrified too with putting in sets 1st because I got so much trouble with stomach which I was told was the best place to put them.

I find my bum better than tum!!

Persevere, its worth it...