Fed up to the Max

rachgray2011

Hi all I have been diagnosed since July fort I was tackling things and gettin back on track after spending time in hospital which was an awful time . After coming home my boyfriend of 3yrs broke up with me with no reason . All I want to do is have a big bar of chocolate and alcoholic drink but I'm scared to . I go out with friends I have water the whole night I have lost soo much Weight I fill soo healthy but soo fed up with all . I think why me all the time ? Does this ever go away ?

sugar2

Hi rach,

You have my sympathy. being diagnosed diabetic is hard. Splitting up with a boyfriend of 3 years is hard, so teh combination must be horrible!Sounds liek he may not have been worth keepingthough..

Yes, it does get easier, promise.I hoppe your friends and family spoil you over teh christmas period, so 2012 can be a new start, and a new positive year.

Are you losing weight becasue you are too scared to eat, or becasue your BGis a bit high? For me, if I really need choclaote, then I have some. Don't do it every day, and always make sure that I take a bit of extra insulin to cover it. Sae with alcohol, although I can usually drink wine without my BG going up...you do need towatch for hypos thouh.

I am not trying to lead you down teh patth of being a "bad diabetic", but for me at least, the occasional "naughty moment" helps me live with the regime for the 99.5% of the rest of the time.

Snodger

it's grim and it's totally normal to feel that grim a few months after diagnosis. I think we have all felt that way. ANd yes, it does go away, even though it feels horrible right now.

On a totally practical note -
Why don't you have an alcoholic drink, are you scared of it making you hypo? Have you tried drinking since you were diagnosed?
I'm not trying to tempt you into a life of alcoholism but as long as you understand what effect alcohol has on you, it's fine to drink when you are T1.
Watch out for the carbs in beer or cider, and the added sugar in mixers and things like bacardi breezers. There are no carbs in gin, vodka, dry wine, or whisky.
Once you are drunk, your liver starts prioritising the booze, and so it stops releasing stored sugars into your blood until it's finished processing the drinks you've had. That's why you are at risk of hypo'ing after drinking - the background sugar isn't there for a bit. So you just need to be a bit careful and make sure you don't go to bed without some carby snack. So, maybe a big glass of wine and a few squares of chocolate would be ideal...!

[edit: I see sugar 2 says similar things. And personally I could not handle being diabetic without the occasional gin...]

good luck and concentrate on those friends who are true friends and haven't disappeared as soon as things got rough....I'd say something at this point about your bf but it would probably involve rude words which the moderators would take off!

rachgray2011

Thanks mean a lot ! I am scared to have a drink as my sugars are still up and down ! I cnt seem to get them right :( . I have lost weight cos I have cut all sugar stuff out proper healthy now . I just think why me all the time ? It seems to be I tell ppl I'm a diabetic and they run a mile . I keeping my head high n plodding along