Fed up with cancelled appointments

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Every month since my appointment with the diabetic clinic at my local hospital in sunny North wales I have received a letter saying how sorry they are but my appointment has been rescheduled. The initial appointment was for April..it is now September.
Come on Ysbyty Glan Clwyd get your act together ..rant over

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Every month since my appointment with the diabetic clinic at my local hospital in sunny North wales I have received a letter saying how sorry they are but my appointment has been rescheduled. The initial appointment was for April..it is now September.

You're not alone. I live on the South Coast and mine has been put back twice from August, to October, and now November.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had this a few years ago, in Cardiff. They had staff shortages, and just kept rebooking the appts in a holding pattern on the expectation they would get the staff in by the time the appts came round. I think, in the end, my appt was 10 months late.

It was very frustrating, but i had to appreciate that there wasn't much else they could do. Without qualified staff, they couldn't function.

Reactions: 2 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You get appointments? I haven't seen or heard from my GP practice since I was diagnosed. Not that I am complaining - the last time I heard from them they were a complete waste of space.

I am moving to the South West in a month so here's hoping my new GP is better. I won't hold my breath.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
You get appointments? I haven't seen or heard from my GP practice since I was diagnosed. Not that I am complaining - the last time I heard from them they were a complete waste of space.

I am moving to the South West in a month so here's hoping my new GP is better. I won't hold my breath.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Good morning Welshman 1952. I go to the diabetes center at the hospital and find it very good, I have a dietitian who is scary (in a nice way) a consultant who is very good; now he has convinced himself I am actually T1 . The last nurse I saw was from an agency due to a shortage of diabetic nurses at the hospital. All in all they have looked after me very well so far. Just frustrating having a regular letter saying "circumstances beyond our control" what does that actually mean!!

Kccjf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I live in Glasgow. My last appointment with my consultant was November 2015. It has now been cancelled by the hospital 4 times. My next scheduled appointment is January 2018. So over two years since my last one!!!!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
. Just frustrating having a regular letter saying "circumstances beyond our control" what does that actually mean!!
It's another way of saying "we are short on practicioners because we don't pay 'em enough." Sort of like where I work, at a VA hospital in the US.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you receive these letters phone and ask if there are any earlier cancellations. Normally what happens is a whole clinic date is cancelled and rescheduled but if you call there might be one or two appointments available before the rescheduled clinic date. Also contact your consultant or nurse directly if it's been more then 12 months since you've been seen and they may arrange for you to be seen at the beginning or end of a clinic, especially if you're having issues.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Speak to a Consultants secretary... they understand the need for appts and will be able to offer some help if you explain circumstances of cancelled appts.

Reactions: AnnJohnston

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in Glasgow. My last appointment with my consultant was November 2015. It has now been cancelled by the hospital 4 times. My next scheduled appointment is January 2018. So over two years since my last one!!!!
Does this mean you haven't been seen at all at your diabetes centre? No annual review? If so, that is out of order and deserves an official complaint to the health board.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here the longest a prescription can be written for including refills is a year, and many docs will only do 6 months. So you have to be seen once a year where I work. Or no scripts.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have received letters postponing appointments with my consultants and when I tell them they are surprised because they are not away "from their desk" I'm in central London.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Speak to consultants secretarys.....