Feel light headed if you are over 8mmol?

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I'm still not right and am trying to make progress with all of this, (going to a diabetic club in the new year!!) I was wondering how many of you feel terrible if your sugars go over say 8mmol? I have been trying to stay Carb free, a constant argument with my diabetic clinic -i have been kicked out now or they fail to contact me, is that I need carbs- here we go again or even smart carbs, so i have two thin 5 inch x 2 inch slice of sourdough bread and that's it, and i'm off my head, completely jittery, dizzy, nauseous, and i need to go to sleep or pass out for an hour or two, anything which takes me over 8-10 mmol and i'm physically ill and it is a horrible feeling, i become really ratty and abusive- swearing at everyone.(is that better?!)

I'm wondering if it affects anyone else like this?

Edited by moderator.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't go over 8mmol/l these days, so I can't advise on how it feels - I was just rather surprised that you choose such a high carb food. It must be a shock to your body to be suddenly faced with that all at once and in an easily digestible form.
I eat a salad or a stir fry, with oil or fat, loads of micronutrients and no rush of sugar.
Your clinic staff were wrong to tell you that we need carbs - I only eat them for the bulk, the colours and variety, plus the vitamins and minerals, and my maximum is 40gm a day as I know that I can cope with that easily.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was told by NHS to eat wholemeal or sourdough as that is supposedly smart carb! They would have been for lunch not for a main meal, whilst i do eat home made meals i keep away from fried food and never use oil only they aggravate my IBS, sadly they keep reiterating that without carbs I shall be miserable, depressed and have little enjoyment in life.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm trying to find out if anyone feels the same way if they go over 8mmol please, this is really the question.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by NHS to eat wholemeal or sourdough as that is supposedly smart carb! They would have been for lunch not for a main meal, whilst i do eat home made meals i keep away from fried food and never use oil only they aggravate my IBS, sadly they keep reiterating that without carbs I shall be miserable, depressed and have little enjoyment in life.
I was told by the NHS education team that baked potato and baked beans was a good choice for lunch - they are so way off the mark it is more laughable than sad.
You do need to have fats in your diet - they are essential nutrients - but if you can have meat and fish then you can include them with that.
My own experience is of feeling a lot better on a low carb diet - I don't need to cut out all carbs, so eat a wide variety of salads and other veges, mostly from above ground sources, lots of colours and flavours and exceedingly cheerful.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I cannot remember the last time i had a baked potato though I do occasionally have a sweet one in a curry and that sends me potty, I have been trying the higher fat diet and told it is wrong and it can make me ill yet my Hba1c was actually lower last time from doing so, it has gone up again following their advice.. maybe i really should sack the lot of them!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potato? Oh dear.
Try using cauliflower as the base for curry.
You really do seem to need to sort out a low carb way of eating, avoiding dense starchy foods and replacing them with fats so you have a good energy source. Low carb high fat has helped a lot of type twos return to normal numbers, and it has helped vast numbers of people over the centuries,.

Reactions: Paulm80

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm still not right and am trying to make progress with all of this, (going to a diabetic club in the new year!!) I was wondering how many of you feel terrible if your sugars go over say 8mmol? I have been trying to stay Carb free, a constant argument with my diabetic clinic -i have been kicked out now or they fail to contact me, is that I need carbs- here we go again or even smart carbs, so i have two thin 5 inch x 2 inch slice of sourdough bread and that's it, and i'm off my head, completely jittery, dizzy, nauseous, and i need to go to sleep or pass out for an hour or two, anything which takes me over 8-10 mmol and i'm physically ill and it is a horrible feeling, i become really ratty and abusive- tourettes at everything and everyone.

I'm wondering if it affects anyone else like this?
When are you measuring the 8 mmol/L? and how long after eating are you experiencing these effects? I would expect most people including non diabetics to go over 8mmol/L a short time after eating a high carb meal.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
oh no, 2 hours or so after, i never test immediately afterwards, i do know that much.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh no, 2 hours or so after, i never test immediately afterwards, i do know that much.
So if you are over 8 after 2 hours then you will be much higher at some time before then, I suggest you test at 30 mins and 1 hour after a meal as an experiment to find your peak level, it is more likely it is that giving you problems.

Reactions: jjraak and MillieT

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to stay Carb free, a constant argument with my diabetic clinic -i have been kicked out now or they fail to contact me, is that I need carbs
Have you been eating vegetables? If you're fine with that you can tell your clinic you are eating carbs. If you're truly carb free, I guess that means meat, eggs and some cheeses only?

Reactions: MillieT

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So if you are over 8 after 2 hours then you will be much higher at some time before then, I suggest you test at 30 mins and 1 hour after a meal as an experiment to find your peak level, it is more likely it is that giving you problems.

No these are the same, I have not been below i think 6 for quite some time, i was just trying to find if anyone else feels horrid if they are over 8mmol, so far only one person has actually answered. 8mmol is nothing in comparison to some that I know and have known and hence my question. Some people cannot actually feel that they are over the recommended level whereas I can.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you been eating vegetables? If you're fine with that you can tell your clinic you are eating carbs. If you're truly carb free, I guess that means meat, eggs and some cheeses only?

I try not to eat root ones as i'm told roots are carbs, the sweet potatoes I have eaten are because of the clinic's advice only, i managed to get my Hb down last time and ate precisely that, meat, eggs and some cheeses along with olives and what have you though they are not one of my fav's.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I get woozy on a high-carb hit (word 'hit' chosen especially), and feel something akin to.... high!

I was very surprised by this physical/brain response, maybe a few months post diagnosis, when I couldn't resist an ice-lolly loaded with sugar, the way they are loaded. Now I know that this is normal, to feel so abnormal, if you like - to feel woozy and off my head. My physical response doesn't last that long, and I feel for you re how long your not at all pleasant sensations and response is!

That you have the symptoms that you have after what I would call a high-carb hit, does not surprise me at all. Ditto on the irritability and - lashing out? Poor you and poor your friends and family! And on anything over 8 on your meter? Egads!

You have very good reasons to knock the high carbs on the head, and yes - potato and bread - way high carbs.

To be honest, I don't know how medical professionals are going to sleep at night with all the studies and evidence out there, not to mention plain old common sense re us and lowering carbs (and raising healthy fat in tandem) - with recommending high carb food to people with blood glucose probs. The fact that carbs are not essential to eat is easily accessible information - can't they look it up online? (And get a hit for this forum first of all - good one!)

Keep getting support in here for your lowering carbs plan for your treatment ?

Oh! I just noticed your medication - could you possibly be having a bad reaction to your medication? Or, the combo of lowered carbing with your medication? My understanding is - your medical team will absolutely have to be on board with your lower-carbing, at least in terms of knowledge, so they can adjust your medication accordingly? Is what I believe. Your symptoms may be a response to the combo of your empagliflozin and low-carbing, or, just a bad reaction?

Do you mind me asking what HBA1c you were diagnosed with back in 2014? And then again in 2017 when you started being medicated?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Side effect listed: (on this site what's more)

"WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF JARDIANCE?
The side effects of Jardiance include:

• Feeling tired or light-headed
Please note the list above is not exhaustive. You should refer to the patient information leaflet in the medication for a full list of side effects."

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
AloeSvea, Thank you so much, huge hugs.... this is exactly what i am going through 100% I freak out and all sorts and usually end up in tears because of it, I don't have any family left so at least they're lucky! but not the same person that feeds the goldfish for sure.

My original Hba1c was under 48 and I managed it with diet alone for some 3 years, I had a bad time and ended up with suspected Ketacidosis due to over consumption of sweet drinks and the like i was admitted to hospital and they had nothing that would register my level, after two days they managed to get me below 100mmol., i was eating a packet or two of Halls mentholyptus sweets because i could not remove phlegm due to packing up smoking over 30 years, I have no idea, I just went off on one and then afterwards i could not get my sugar levels down, i was then treated with metformin and gliclazide to which i had adverse affects from, grating hip joints and allsorts, it truly was horrible so tried diet alone again, then they put me on insulin and i was not happy about it, i failed that and ended up on the empagliflozin and for the first time that worked bringing my sugars right down to acceptable levels, i had been really high for the preceding year. funny how the insulin did not get me down to the same levels as the emp.

After this my Hba1c continued to rise until I was diagnosed with Lymphoma, I had radiotherapy which took my hba1c up again, i finished the therapy just over one year ago and my last 3 hba1c's have gone from 100 to 78, to, 58 and now 64 i believe so it has gone up slightly so I have to do more work to get it below the 48 which is not easy when you feel like utter rubbish as I have never been the same since being nuked so to speak though thankfully, I am in 100% remission. I am so close to winning this, my diabetic doctor did say last time to keep what i was doing getting it down but i have been really depressed of late again, only because I just don't think i shall be as fit as I was before all this started though i would just so love to go for a long country walk or something and not fearing passing out along the way due to losing the remainder of my energy.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I just wanted to mention that i seem to be managing on the empagliflozin, i become light headed within a short time of eating any of the carbs and whilst I don't wish to feel ill these are health professionals and I cannot understand why they would tell me to do something if it continues to make me feel awful, this is why two clinics I have been to will not contact me any longer, that I am listening to you people on here and I should be listening to them yet looking on here I see success stories... I am ill.