Feel terrible

Tarafroggy73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I’m new to carnivore (2 weeks) and I am struggling with having bouts of exhaustion (after eating) and having very low energy, along with rapid heart rate on and off. I’m consuming more Himalayan salt and taking magnesium. I really don’t want to give up on this diet because my blood sugars are very steady, although I am trying to figure out how much insulin to take for protein and fat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How were you eating before starting carnivore?
You could be going through a keto-flu type adaptation period.

Tarafroggy73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I started with a 2 week bone broth fast. I was eating the meat from the broth also. I had been eating a very high carb diet prior to that. So it is possible this is carb flu. I want to feel good and have energy. I hope this passes soon.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would really miss the vegetable part of my diet - the crunchy salads and tasty veges might amount to under 40 gm of carbs, but they add so much variety to the menu with all their different colours and flavours.
Maybe try adding in a few bags of salad, tomatoes coleslaw sweet pepper etc. - and see if you feel better.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Tarafroggy73, I had just been reading up on the carnivore diet again, as I have been basically preparing to experiment again with this eating regimen,as it has appealed me for a long time. I liked this link

https://meat.health/knowledge-base/carnivore-diet-what-to-eat/

because it talked about phasing into a full-on carnivore thing (called level 3), but starting out whilst still drinking tea and coffee, eating dairy and eggs (level 1) and gradually working towards a meat + water regimen. Just to make it a bit gentler a transition (and prevent you feeling so terrible, for instance).

It does sound like you are experincing the Keto/low-carb flu. That isn't fun.