Feeling a bit wobbly at 4.7

ian1968

I have a pretty regular diet, in which I eat lunch at 12.30 and then have an afternoon snack of peanuts at 3.15. Today I was feeling a bit wobbly before my snack so I did a quick blood test and I was 4.7, which is pretty normal for me. I was under the impression that 4.7 is within the normal range - not too low, not too high - so any idea why I might be feeling wobbly at 4.7? Eating my peanuts now and they're definitely helping me feel more normal.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always feel wobbly below 5. If I was at 4.7 I get the shakes. I've just assumed that although its within the "normal" range, it's not suitable for me and I should stay over 5!

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
It will all depend on what your normal blood glucose level runs at, what stressors you are suffering at the time, hormone levels, etc etc. The current cold weather can have an effect also.

I have known teenagers run at a constant high of around 13-15 mmols/l and yet feel hypo at 7.

Although the general guidance would say that 4.7 is within range - you at least had the warning signs and that is what is important. It may also be a one off and it will never happen again. Well worth keeping an eye on it anyway

imalittlefishy

I also find that I get earlier warning symptoms if my blood sugar is dropping quickly...for example I might feel hypo, test to find it's 4.something and then test again 10 minutes later to find it has dropped below 4. Whereas if it's a more gradual drop I won't feel symptoms until I'm down in the 3s. Don't know if this happens to others?
xx