Feeling about 2 inches tall

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hate when you email companies to enquire about nutrition information and they don't have an understanding of diabetes and their response is
'Hopefully you can determine whether you are safe to eat these items, as they are not really a diabetic friendly product, sorry!'
Just burst into tears because of it and has happened more than once this week :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hate when you email companies to enquire about nutrition information and they don't have an understanding of diabetes and their response is
'Hopefully you can determine whether you are safe to eat these items, as they are not really a diabetic friendly product, sorry!'
Just burst into tears because of it and has happened more than once this week :(
Next time tell them allergic to high carbs and don't mention D word?
We shouldn't have to but until the right people are in the right jobs. It seems more effective.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next time tell them allergic to high carbs and don't mention D word?
We shouldn't have to but until the right people are in the right jobs. It seems more effective.
Its easier to obtain the information if you are honest with them, I'm not avoiding mentioning that I'm diabetic as then it seems as if I'm ashamed or embarrassed about it xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a long running email convo with Las Iguanas last summer asking about carb counts and they didn’t have nutritional break downs at all but in their replies kept saying calorie counts even though I kept writing CARB COUNT in bold capitals!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

You may find some interesting info on food labelling laws on nutritional values here.. https://www.gov.uk/food-labelling-and-packaging.

Edited to add, it's mandatory to put the carb contents on the packaging (page 7 here) https://assets.publishing.service.g.../file/595961/Nutrition_Technical_Guidance.pdf

Though I can't understand why the company couldn't send you a nutritional value list of their products.

My wife used to work for a pet food/treat company & she had nutritional info on hand, should a customer enquire....

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in a place where everything comes with piles of carbs, I have never been so hungry for so long.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not on that you were made to feel this way for a simple question.

I'd be interested to know which company and what product you were after information for?

It might make them rethink their attitude if it gets outed publicly.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee I know it is mandatory to print on labels but this was on an independent website that didn't provide the information, I enquired so I knew whether I would like to purchase anything, I hasten to add that even if they do get back to me now, after their attitude I certainly wont be! haha x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not on that you were made to feel this way for a simple question.

I'd be interested to know which company and what product you were after information for?

It might make them rethink their attitude if it gets outed publicly.
I wont be mentioning any company names as I don't want anything brought against me, sorry xx

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Its easier to obtain the information if you are honest with them, I'm not avoiding mentioning that I'm diabetic as then it seems as if I'm ashamed or embarrassed about it xx
I know.
I see your point.

Like I said not the right respondent, for you. :(

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Don't let the b********************* get you down. They don't know you're a lovely person. Have pity on them for not having good people skills. It's definitely not a reflection on you.

Reactions: rab5

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The subject matter of this thread regards a food company's inability or ineptitude to provide nutritional value on their products & poor customer service...

There have been a number of posts removed for off topic bickering.
Further posts of this nature will incur immediate membership sanctions.
Stay on topic.

I thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hopefully this kind of thing will improve if more were like you @kaylz91.
Good luck getting through to many underpaid marketing juniors.

You sound up for the fight thou.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree, I hate seeing things with no nutrition info (or worse, incorrect info - for example, I once saw an item with more sugar than total carbs, physically impossible). I have considered calling the companies on multiple occasions, but concluded that even if they did tell me a number I don't think I would trust them. They already got it wrong (or omitted it) once, so who's to say they will tell me the right info when I call, or even if they will make something up to get rid of me. Think of it this way, sure it sucks you don't get to eat this because you are diabetic, but a company which provides such poor nutrition info isn't one you want to support anyway. Hopefully in the future all products will have better labelling.

Reactions: rab5

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok maybe not the healthiest thing to be asking about but I asked a company about their fudge as well, here is a snippet of their response
Unfortunately our fudge wouldn't be suitable for a diabetic as the main ingredient is sugar !
There was seriously no need to speak to me like that or include the exclamation marl, I'm not completely thick!! :( xx

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok maybe not the healthiest thing to be asking about but I asked a company about their fudge as well, here is a snippet of their response
Unfortunately our fudge wouldn't be suitable for a diabetic as the main ingredient is sugar !
There was seriously no need to speak to me like that or include the exclamation marl, I'm not completely thick!! :( xx

Sadly a byproduct of the media agenda in this country to vilify diabetes as a self inflicted condition - what you encountered is the ignorance it breeds. On the one hand I can understand not understanding a condition you do not have to live with (I didn't know much about it before being diagnosed) but the snippets people learn about it through popular media steers them towards being judgemental. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Hopefully you can find an alternative supplier of fudge that is worthy of you buying a treat from them. :)

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly a byproduct of the media agenda in this country to vilify diabetes as a self inflicted condition - what you encountered is the ignorance it breeds. On the one hand I can understand not understanding a condition you do not have to live with (I didn't know much about it before being diagnosed) but the snippets people learn about it through popular media steers them towards being judgemental. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Hopefully you can find an alternative supplier of fudge that is worthy of you buying a treat from them. :)
I responded with 'it is a common misconception that it is sugar we need to be careful of, it is in fact the total carbohydrates, especially for me as a Type 1', hopefully that will make them think twice about responding/judging someone like that again!! haha xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow very impressed at THEIR enquiry to me xx

"Thanks for that. That is really interesting as we get a lot of people at markets that say 'I can't eat that I'm diabetic'.

Could a type 1 diabetic eat the fudge then if they covered carb intake with insulin ?"

Reactions: Brunneria

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I responded with 'it is a common misconception that it is sugar we need to be careful of, it is in fact the total carbohydrates, especially for me as a Type 1', hopefully that will make them think twice about responding/judging someone like that again!! haha xx

If they come back @kaylz91 maybe you could add that the sugar and fat content would have been perfect in a hypo situation but now you will be buying elsewhere, thanks.

Reactions: kaylz91