Feeling bruised and fed up :-(.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Ok, so I don't mind testing due to being on a pump, that I understand. But I have one hand- 5 fingers to test from, so got hubby start on my ears, then suggested use my toes, which I have been doing. When I saw my DSN she suggested Ast,( alternate site testing) ok will give that a go, I've now had to raise the site tester to 5 to get a small amount of blood out, because the blood supply on my left is very small,
I now have a nice big purple bruise on my arm and the sites on my left are tender, enough for me to smack my husband when he pushed on one to get a supply for a bs. Sorry for the rant just feel like a pin cushion, and I know I'm just being a whimp, but my DSN does not like cgm's, but would love one, but can't self fund, mum bills, kids etc. sorry for the downer.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
So sorry you are feeling fed up, silly question but have u tried the other side of your fingers?
hope you can get sorted

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Totsy, yes I use both side of my fingers, hubby does ears and toes and helps with ast as well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, how often are you testing?
Genuine question - don't know anything about pumps and the required testing.
Sounds awful!

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Before meals and if it's high and I need a correction dose I test an hour later etc to see how the correction is doing and so I don't over correct, yes it's hard work and testing to get Basal's right, but it is well worth it look at my hb1ac's, before I started a pump and look at how they have dropped since starting, I just don't inject to correct to cover carbs, the pump does it according to my bs. One jab every 3 days. Ok the testing takes it yo'll, but now it's just the testing, not both.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which lancing device do you use?

I test about 10 times a day but haven't run out of fingers, even only using one side of six of them (no pinkies or thumbs).

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've got the one given out by the Istar company, that does a the Iphone machine as DSN has the ast, but ordered one from one touch with 9 depth settings and the ast cap. Just waiting for it to turn up.. My fingers both sides and pads don't take a lot to make them sore, plus with my job I need feeling, plus depths on each person and how it effects them is different, so what works for one, won't work for another, as I'm sure you are aware diabetes isn't a one size fits all. So what works for you, may not work for me. For instance ast sample took 6 attempts 2 at the base of my thumb, not enough blood and 5 then on the 6 a sample big enough to work with the freestyle machine, so not a big supply.

Last edited by a moderator:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope your new lancet will be better for you. I found the iBGStar one very brutal - am currently using the Accu-Chek FastClix

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Robert I like those with half depth settings personally.