BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Hi Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a rut and needing some advice.
I'm also very aware of how lucky I am to have the Libre on prescription (after 18 months of self funded) so do not want to seem like I am moaning, it is a wonderful tool and it has really helped me! However, past month or so I have noticed it has been seriously under reading, by around 5mmol every single time. It often reads that I'm low all night, and I'm actually around 6, or that I'm around 6 all night and I'm actually 13+. It often tells me I'm low and I'm not. I'm wondering if something has changed, why is it suddenly so incorrect? I feel like I can't trust it anymore and am looking in to getting a CGM, even though financially I cannot afford it I feel like its important to be using correct readings!

I have also changed sensors a few times to see if its that..... any help greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Knikki

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Libre for about 7 months now, and it's been mostly ok, though some sensors are better than others.

A couple of things occur to me, one is that you might be able to use an app like Glimp that calibrates it, so it works better. I'm not a libre tech person, so you'll need advice from someone who knows more than me.

The other thing I read once somewhere on the internet, that if we're slightly dehydrated the libre might be less accurate, but I can't remember where I read that, and it might be meaningless. Hopefully some other people will come up with some better ideas.

K

Knikki

Hello @BethTwydall, the joys of the Libre Sensor.

There could be a couple of things that effect the sensor:
Is it near the end of its little life so close the 14 day expire?
Where you place it? Have you found that it is better in one part of the body to the other?
Night time if you lie on it heat and pressure from lying on it can effect it.

On the other hand doing a quick search around and you will come across a few threads on this same subject which cover a multitude of things.

I have, on occasions, found the sensor to be out, reading LOW when i wasn't, but I also use mine in conjunction with xDrip+ on an android phone (Glimp is another on the Android platform, Spike is the same thing on iPhones) and with this bit of kit I can recalibrate the sensor so it will give a "truer" reading and will often be different to both the Libre Reader snd the Libre Mobile app, both of which I use.

Another thing is you might have just been unlucky and got a faulty batch of sensors :(

But after reading all of the above but you still think the sensors are wrong then give Abbots helpline a call and explain to them what your finding, more than likely they will replace it free of charge but ask you to send the old one back in a pre paid envelope.

D

Deleted Account

I second using a Glimp.
It is another app like LibreLink that works on your phone.
As @Alison54321 says, it allows you to calibrate against finger prick readings (and shows these on the graph).
It also uses a different algorithm compared to LibreLink and Reader to calculate BG from the interstitial fluid reading. This algorithm seems to suit me much better.
Initially, I found the Glimp user interface a bit confusing but worked it out.
If you try it and need a bit of help, feel free to PM me. You can use it at the same time as LibreLink so you are not completely blind whilst working it out.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm wondering if something has changed, why is it suddenly so incorrect?

As others have suggested
1) contact Abbott and describe your issues - with that amount of inaccuracy they will replace the sensor
2) try the glimp app
3) Are you developing an allergic reaction to the sensor? Many long term users find that they start getting drastically low readings after they develop an allergy (red/weeping skin under the sensor?) at which point they may find the libre is no longer an option for them (sigh, I am one of those). Apparently if the tissue around the needle is inflamed/healing/damaged then the blood sugar readings there are lower???

Good luck

Timostags

I've had my libre for about 5 days now and it's been amazing I love it with alot of thanks the the recommendations above.

But....
Today it was working as normal until I finished work. I scanned the libre and there was a sudden unexpected rise in my BG (I'm using glimp) I then scanned about 30mins later and it said my BG was 0.0! So I do a finger test and it's 3.6. I then tried a scan with the official libre app and it displayed an error about unable to get reading try again in 10 mins.
I kept getting the same error over and over. After about 3 hours Glimp started giving me readings again but the are way off what a finger test says +\-7mmol. The official app keeps changing between the error message and incorrect figures.

This is the first sensor I have ever bought, it worked great until today. Is it a faulty sensor or something I might have done to it? If it is a faulty sensor (I plan trying the customer service number tomorrow if not resolved) how common are faulty sensors?

The fact that it gave me readings that were completely wrong - making me think I was feeling unwell due to high blood sugar when it was actually low has massively effected my confidence in Libre.
Screenshot_20181024-225358.jpg
Screenshot_20181024-225552.jpg

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I struggled and struggled and struggled with cgm. I found it incredibly inaccurate. I found myself incredibly discouraged when it worked for others and they said I had to have it...

You don’t have to have it. If it doesn’t work stop using it. That was my best solution to the problem. I stuck it in my supplies cabinet and stopped using it. Complaining about it only made me upset. But it didn’t resolve anything.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Faulty sensor. Had a few myself. Always have spares so you can put one on. Ring Abbot they will replace it. Don’t throw the old one away, they will send packaging for you to send it back.
It’s a shame with it being your first one. Don’t give up yet. I’ve just had 4 fantastically accurate ones in a row.

Reactions: Timostags

Timostags

Faulty sensor. Had a few myself. Always have spares so you can put one on. Ring Abbot they will replace it. Don’t throw the old one away, they will send packaging for you to send it back.
It’s a shame with it being your first one. Don’t give up yet. I’ve just had 4 fantastically accurate ones in a row.
Yep spoke to Abbot customer support yesterday morning, they said they would send a replacement and it arrived today (next day!).
I bought another yesterday as I was really feeling lost without it, activated it today and the readings actually already seem alot more accurate than the previous sensor.