Feeling lonely

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya there ;) i got tagged in a comment above so saw your post
My name's Dana and you sound oh so similar to me before I started college in September.
To start off, you should never, ever feel lonely or not very confident. I know it sounds weird when you hear it- i didn't agree with it at first either, but think of it like this: you know people from your school yeah? and if none of them are diabetic, then that means that you're special. When you think of everyone from your school, what do you think? there'll always be people who come to mind first, but try to think about what makes them unique, what makes them them, and what makes them your friend?
We all know about different races how as first it was frowned upon that we are all mixed together. But now that we all live in a multi-cultural society it's made such a better world with a stronger, more varied sense of community.
We are all different, everyone. But some need more care than others, and others live life a little easier too. But where would we be without all the fun and adventure life brings us? ;)

If you want a little inspiration, my post "My 10 Year Story" should help to explain things a little better than I've just done. But don't read it from my perspective- after every paragraph compare it to where you are now :) which point you're at. because we're not machines and we all feel emotions and live the roller coaster of a life we've been given.

Remember- you've got diabetes- it's not got you. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya there ;) i got tagged in a comment above so saw your post
My name's Dana and you sound oh so similar to me before I started college in September.
To start off, you should never, ever feel lonely or not very confident. I know it sounds weird when you hear it- i didn't agree with it at first either, but think of it like this: you know people from your school yeah? and if none of them are diabetic, then that means that you're special. When you think of everyone from your school, what do you think? there'll always be people who come to mind first, but try to think about what makes them unique, what makes them them, and what makes them your friend?
We all know about different races how as first it was frowned upon that we are all mixed together. But now that we all live in a multi-cultural society it's made such a better world with a stronger, more varied sense of community.
We are all different, everyone. But some need more care than others, and others live life a little easier too. But where would we be without all the fun and adventure life brings us? ;)

If you want a little inspiration, my post "My 10 Year Story" should help to explain things a little better than I've just done. But don't read it from my perspective- after every paragraph compare it to where you are now :) which point you're at. because we're not machines and we all feel emotions and live the roller coaster of a life we've been given.

Remember- you've got diabetes- it's not got you. ;)
Thank you for reply, Ive read your blog and there are some things that are similar in our lives, but I think that being treated like someone "special" in bad meaning is the most annyoing problem.
I want to end this chapter of my life after finishing middle school and I want to start new "life" in high school. But I think Ill have to explain to new friends what Ive got, if I could eat that and other stuff and Im not sure if I had that patience. Being treated like a unindependent person by family or other known people. Maybe Im not adult but this is my illness I have to fight with in my whole life and I can take care of myself in some cases :(. Sometimes I find my parents too "overprotective" and they worry too much about me :(

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for reply, Ive read your blog and there are some things that are similar in our lives, but I think that being treated like someone "special" in bad meaning is the most annyoing problem.
I want to end this chapter of my life after finishing middle school and I want to start new "life" in high school. But I think Ill have to explain to new friends what Ive got, if I could eat that and other stuff and Im not sure if I had that patience. Being treated like a unindependent person by family or other known people. Maybe Im not adult but this is my illness I have to fight with in my whole life and I can take care of myself in some cases :(. Sometimes I find my parents too "overprotective" and they worry too much about me :(

This is gonna sound weird and you're gonna disagree with me but- hear me out. Tell your parents. Especially because you're going up to high school now. Heck, I couldn't inject til I was in year 10 and my nan still came to school to do my injections, but I knew that in order to grow up I had to change. Ignore the fear, Overcome who people think I am, and show them who I really am :)
It's honestly worth it! if you're moving on up to high school next that means you're year 8 if you're in the same tiers I was in, so you're about 12-13? :) You're still pretty young and you're still making an impact on your life :)
Focus on the main things, put the diabetes to the side and don't focus on it over other things. Don't go skipping insulin or not taking care of yourself or anything- but try to not think about it when you don't need to.
Seize the moment ;)

My college is a 2hr bus journey away from where I live- meaning I knew noone. And I completely forgot to mention I was diabetic. If your high school is with new people, you can either ask your teacher to mention it slightly in class or do what I did- just do a blood test when you're surrounded by people like you usually would. You'll be surprised- a lot of people are like "oh wow- you're diabetic. This girl at my school was but I didn't really know much about it" and others are like "whoa that's so cool- my friend used to have diabetes!"
People are at the age in high school where it's cool to be different and people accept it as the normal. No childish-ness like at first/ middle school. You can be you. As long as you show that you can manage it and that you're confident about it then they'll be better with you. Practice explaining in the mirror incase you're asked.

If you seem nervous or shy or on edge when explaining it, they'll see that you're uncomfortable to talk about it and wont ask you the necessary questions they should. Praise their curiosity. Thank them for asking or showing interest.
but above all. remember to smile!

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is gonna sound weird and you're gonna disagree with me but- hear me out. Tell your parents. Especially because you're going up to high school now. Heck, I couldn't inject til I was in year 10 and my nan still came to school to do my injections, but I knew that in order to grow up I had to change. Ignore the fear, Overcome who people think I am, and show them who I really am :)
It's honestly worth it! if you're moving on up to high school next that means you're year 8 if you're in the same tiers I was in, so you're about 12-13? :) You're still pretty young and you're still making an impact on your life :)
Focus on the main things, put the diabetes to the side and don't focus on it over other things. Don't go skipping insulin or not taking care of yourself or anything- but try to not think about it when you don't need to.
Seize the moment ;)

My college is a 2hr bus journey away from where I live- meaning I knew noone. And I completely forgot to mention I was diabetic. If your high school is with new people, you can either ask your teacher to mention it slightly in class or do what I did- just do a blood test when you're surrounded by people like you usually would. You'll be surprised- a lot of people are like "oh wow- you're diabetic. This girl at my school was but I didn't really know much about it" and others are like "whoa that's so cool- my friend used to have diabetes!"
People are at the age in high school where it's cool to be different and people accept it as the normal. No childish-ness like at first/ middle school. You can be you. As long as you show that you can manage it and that you're confident about it then they'll be better with you. Practice explaining in the mirror incase you're asked.

If you seem nervous or shy or on edge when explaining it, they'll see that you're uncomfortable to talk about it and wont ask you the necessary questions they should. Praise their curiosity. Thank them for asking or showing interest.
but above all. remember to smile!
I just want to tell that high school/college means in polish "liceum", where we go at the age of 16 and we finish it at 19(3 grades school) and Im going to that school. Maybe the college is correct word :).

So, I stay in my school, this will be my 10th year in this school. I know most teachers there, they know about diabetes.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just want to tell that high school/college means in polish "liceum", where we go at the age of 16 and we finish it at 19(3 grades school) and Im going to that school. Maybe the college is correct word :).

So, I stay in my school, this will be my 10th year in this school. I know most teachers there, they know about diabetes.

it shouldn't be too difficult then maybe if your teachers are the same? :) just try not to over think things too much then- try to show who you are a little more maybe?
be who you want them to think you are, but be proud too. Smile because you're different- everyone is. Nobody's the same and that's good- the world would be an awfully boring place if we were all the same person ^-^

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it shouldn't be too difficult then maybe if your teachers are the same? :) just try not to over think things too much then- try to show who you are a little more maybe?
be who you want them to think you are, but be proud too. Smile because you're different- everyone is. Nobody's the same and that's good- the world would be an awfully boring place if we were all the same person ^-^
But you know, I dont have any problems and missunderstadings in school. I always test my bs and take insulin. So im 15 yo going to college this year and hope it will change something. Smile is the thing I really need, I sometimes smile in school being together, its rather laughing of what somebody did or any funny joke.
Teachers dont treat me like a special person, they dont remind me of checking bs etc. Classmates dont treat me like someone special too, they even dont care when I check and inject during lessons(maybe the smell of insulin, dont like that).

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But you know, I dont have any problems and missunderstadings in school. I always test my bs and take insulin. So im 15 yo going to college this year and hope it will change something. Smile is the thing I really need, I sometimes smile in school being together, its rather laughing of what somebody did or any funny joke.
Teachers dont treat me like a special person, they dont remind me of checking bs etc. Classmates dont treat me like someone special too, they even dont care when I check and inject during lessons(maybe the smell of insulin, dont like that).

so what is it you want them to do? make a fuss out of it or help you feel like you're not as different?
at school I wanted people to acknowledge in case of an emergency, but also so they knew if something was wrong that it might not be something minor (like passing out for example- which thankfully has never happened). But at college, the teachers dont say anything unless im near enough wiped out. They've sent people out saying "now's time for a break" or something so that they don't draw attention to me because they know I don't like it- especially when I'm really low.
Ask your parents (or you do it)- just make the teachers aware of what you want to happen and put it into the care plan they should have or something? at the end of the day, the teachers dont have an exact rule to follow- as long as they don't put you in danger and are aware of what to look out for.
They're the influencers of the class- whatever they do the class is surely to mimic because they see it as the right thing to do :)

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so what is it you want them to do? make a fuss out of it or help you feel like you're not as different?
at school I wanted people to acknowledge in case of an emergency, but also so they knew if something was wrong that it might not be something minor (like passing out for example- which thankfully has never happened). But at college, the teachers dont say anything unless im near enough wiped out. They've sent people out saying "now's time for a break" or something so that they don't draw attention to me because they know I don't like it- especially when I'm really low.
Ask your parents (or you do it)- just make the teachers aware of what you want to happen and put it into the care plan they should have or something? at the end of the day, the teachers dont have an exact rule to follow- as long as they don't put you in danger and are aware of what to look out for.
They're the influencers of the class- whatever they do the class is surely to mimic because they see it as the right thing to do :)
Thanks for suggestions, Im gonna talk with my new form teacher in the college(after the first meeting with new class, on September). I'll tell her/him about diabetes at first and then about what to do when I feel low/high or(which never happened yet) I pass out. Didnt know about that, Ive only told them about symptoms and only general things because I wasnt that aware as now. Thanks

@azure When will I be able to send private messages?

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think either DCUK or JDRF do a template diabetic care plan to give to schools and it explains all about what to do in any possible situation- hope I've helped you? :)

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think either DCUK or JDRF do a template diabetic care plan to give to schools and it explains all about what to do in any possible situation- hope I've helped you? :)
I live in Poland so there arent these organizations.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all online- and there'll be substitute templates you can download for free somewhere :) it's just having a look that'll take the time ;)