Type 1 Feeling low

jim_200

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 two weeks ago and feeling quite low about it all. I'm still getting my head around it all and all the information I have been given.
I just feel like I want to carry on as normal but feel like I can't because I'm worried about my sugars go to high or too low.
I get in a right panic about it all as I've only had 1 hypo which also gave me a panic attack.
Does anyone else feel like This and what is your advice
Thanks

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes it is daunting for you but give yourself time to adjust it seems awful to start with but you will win in the end dont let diabetes rule you - you have to rule it!!!!
Believe me you will never let it beat you...
Friends on here will help and guide you keep strong.
Type 1 48 years and going!!!

Reactions: jim_200 and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jim_200 Welcome to the forum :)

Being diagnosed with type 1 can bring with it lots of different emotions, and there is alot of information to take in too, I remember feeling the same as you and being over whelmed with it all, am now 6 years down the line and I can honestly say that it does get alot easier.

Hypos do vary from one to the next, some can leave me feeling anxious so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually the hypo itself that made you feel like having a panic attack as the symptoms are similar, however hypos do pass fairly quickly, just make sure you treat with quick acting glucose, so glucogel, glucotabs, jelly babies, apple or orange juice until you are above 4 mmol/l, keep your glucose on you at all times and next to your bed too so it's easy to access.

Are you in close contact with your diabetic nurse ? Keep them informed of your hypos as you're newly diagnosed they may ask you to adjust your insulin, in time you will learn to do this yourself, but it's also helpful to know what caused the hypo too, so too much insulin or exercise, not enough carbs.

Keep talking as much as you can both to us and those around you, it will help you process your diagnosis to keep an open dialogue as you do need support, best wishes J.

jim_200

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a lot I'm in law contact with my nurse and have a lot of people round me that work for the nhs so are able to advise
It's just hard to adjust atm. Finding it hard to make sure I'm eating the right foods and drinks and enough food and when I'm out with friends its had making sure my drinks from the bar are diet or low sugar and turning down shots and things that I was able to have only 1 month ago.
I'm sure it will get easier but finding it quite hard atm x

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @jim_200. Welcome to the forum. 1st thing don't let T1D get you down, easy for me to say BUT you must control it and not let it control you. I can not remeber being diagnosed (tender age of 6, 45 years ago) so I cannot comment on what you are going through at the moment. Loads to take in at the moment, will seem like TOO much.
Remember to take loads of blood tests and write everything down, food intake, blood rests, hypos, hypers. As much info as possible to give to your diabetic nurse on diabetic doctor.
There are loads of people on here that can give amazing help and advise.
Keep your chin up mate

Reactions: jim_200

torib131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly how you feel. I was also diagnosed with type 1 2 weeks ago.
I think for me, and perhaps you, it's the fear of the unknown that's worse. You will have been bombarded with info that your not sure you've taken in properly due to being ill on diagnosis.
Yes some changes to the diet/lifestyle may be needed but it is a condition that's manageable.
My advice would be to write down any questions you have. And to take it all one day at a time. Everyday can't always be a good day-but you can face a bad day with a good attitude!

Reactions: jim_200 and Salvia