feeling quite discouraged

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've really been trying with the low carb thing ... and its 5 and a half weeks since I was diagnosed with a fasting level of 17. I' managed to bring in under 10 in a week and now I'm hitting 7s pre evening meal ... 3 times under 7 ... tonight the lowest ever at 6.7 ... but its always about 8 - 8.5 in the morning before I've eaten anything and post meals have been as high as 10. At the moment I feel if I cut anything else out I'll be eating air (mainly eating protein and salad for lunch and protein plus steamed veg for tea). Feels like I'm not achieving anything at all :(

Mileana

You've halved your blood sugar effectively - that's a bit more than nothing - well done, really!

You may need a bit of oral meds if you aren't taking them, to get the last bit of the way, but that's really nice results in a bit over a month.

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks ... I'm on 1000 Metformin ... which I think is what makes me discouraged ... it was 500 for two weeks then upped to 1000. I've seen so many people quoting 4s and 5s on diet in a couple of weeks that I just felt I must be doing something wrong.

shop

Hi Disneyfan,

I know that as a T1 I can't fully understand but I agree that you should give yourself some credit. We have to or it would be pretty **** miserable! Also you are going in the right direction. Everyone is different there isnt 1 fits all. The advice you have been given is obviously working you may just need to be patient.

I am sure that some of the low carb guys will be able to offer some better advice than me.

Just remember we are all individuals and well done!!

Lucy :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be a bit disheartening. But many people on here are starting from a much lower point than you. For example, I started on 9's for my morning test, and am now down (after 12 weeks) to around 7.2

You started at 17 and are now, after only 5-ish weeks, down to 8-8.5 so you have done far better than me.

So you are doing really, really well.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Try a small snack before bed an oat cracker with some peanut butter, cheese or ham, just to give a few carbs over the night that way it saves your liver dumping.

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all

After my frustrations this afternoon I feel I've had a small victory ... I roasted a chicken today and for tea have had roast chicken, roasted Mediterranean veg (onion, pepper, courgette) and some broccoli ... and (gasp) 2 roast potatoes ... 2hours later ... 7.5!!!! I'm so happy!!

MaryJ

Excellent Disneyfan,

I repeat what the others have said - you are doing brilliantly. The low 5's and 4's are peoples own targets and take time and lots of effort to achieve.

I dont even bother with the morning read as for me it's too unreliable. The Dawn Phenomenon can affect this read, what hapens is the liver says - good morning treacle here's some glucose to start you on your way. So you have a higher reading. To get a better idea of your fasting, read try doing it in bed the second you wake up.

Or just concentrate on the 2 hr after food read, that's the one you can influence the most.

Mary x

Cathy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Don't be too hard on yourself, you have done so well :) Figures below 10 are numbers I can only dream of!
Like you, I started off at 17...everyday, guarantee no lower than 17! 6 weeks down the line, even with insulin, I am still waking on 17!

It does get disheartening, but you, and I, will get there in the end :) These things take time.

Well Done ;)