Feeling sick...

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Just wondering about boy child (age 13 diagnosed Dec). Constantly complaining of bad headache that doesn't respond to painkillers even when his sugar is not low. Tonight has bad tummy ache (ketones ok), took 8 thingies of bolus before dinner and then couldn't eat his food. Any ideas? Anyone else suffering from headaches? Should I make him eat something even though he feels ill? Should I just stop thinking about it all so much? :confused:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, does he feel hot to the touch at all ? and did he drink something sweet when he couldn't eat his dinner as Insulin was already injected ? Just get him to keep testing his BS ( or yourself) and try to get him to drink plenty of fluids. If he is ill then his sugar would probably rise. It could be the start of something like flu,cold, viral infection or maybe he is over tired,worried or stressful ?

I hope you get through the night alright and see how he is in the morning for school. Hope it settles down for him and he feels better soon.

RRB

Reactions: 2 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, does he feel hot to the touch at all ? and did he drink something sweet when he couldn't eat his dinner as Insulin was already injected ? Just get him to keep testing his BS ( or yourself) and try to get him to drink plenty of fluids. If he is ill then his sugar would probably rise. It could be the start of something like flu,cold, viral infection or maybe he is over tired,worried or stressful ?

I hope you get through the night alright and see how he is in the morning for school. Hope it settles down for him and he feels better soon.

RRB
Thanks Robin - I will give him a drink now as he is still awake! Finds school very stressful at the best of times... Let you know how he goes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You may find that the headaches and sickness feelings are symptoms of being stressed at school and may get to a stage of a Sunday night feeling... However if this is the case then you need to watch that the insulin is not given to him pre eating...

I had 14 units of insulin recently for a rare takeaway and promptly kept throwing up, couldn't keep any food down at all, even my glycogen and milk and sugar we're all puked up. I knew I needed ambulance help.... You and your son are new to insulin and will not be aware really of the dangers of feeling sick, still having insulin before food and then puking. If your son is feeling sick, try giving food first for these odd occasions as it is awful when you're puking thinking that you have so much raging insulin in you and you can't do anything about it...

I hope that this is not going to be an occurrence each Sunday. I know some parents find weekend doses for children are slightly different to school days. Same with school term and holidays.

Please let us know how your son is.

Reactions: 7 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone - wound up keeping him off on the Monday as he had a bad night and went hypo at about 12.30 and was in a right state in the morning leading to a missed bus and a minor breakdown on my part as I missed registration for my own class at school (and the shower went bang!) Had a long chat with the DN who has cut his lantus down a bit at night and said he can stop routine testing 2 hours after meals as he is ok at recognising hypos now in the hope that this will take a bit of stress off him. His discharge report from hosp arrived today - his ketones were 5.3 on admission - is that v bad do you think? Just curious. Thank you all for kind words and patience. Hope all well with you :)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in December too and went through a period of 2-3 weeks with random bad headaches. Fortunately they seem to have gone now. I think it's a common side-effect following the initial diagnosis.

I'm surprised at the 8 units of bolus - is he on NovoRapid? That seems like a lot for a newly diagnosed 13 year old, but I'm sure you've been told what to do and it's working okay.

Good luck and hope he's feeling better.

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pinewood, he is on Novarapid. Started him on 6 and moved him up cos he was so high. Now on 8 and 15 lantus. Got a clinic appt in a couple of weeks so think the plan is to discuss doses etc as now he is tending toward to low and may possibly be in a honeymoon thing. Brain permanently confused but my son seems to grasp it :)

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
Bless him, hope he's feeling a little better tomorrow!

I accurately remember round the same age, I was diagnosed age 12- feeling rough and had headaches for a while after beginning insulin treatment- had ketones present- a number of sick bay visits. Maybe his body will take time to adjust to the insulin regime! Things are probably a bit different now, but I remember a lot of teachers not understanding diabetes what so ever, I had one teacher refuse to let me each something sugary in a lesson because her "nan is diabetic and she doesn't need to".. o_O
I'm sure things are different now with better awareness and increased number of children diagnosed with T1, but make sure they're plenty aware. :) If I could go back to those days, one thing I'd change is eating more regularly and routinely whilst at school, as due to the timetable eating a big lunch at a set time once in the day didn't work well for me (caused me to yo-yo) eating less and more regularly throughout the day would have made things better I reckon.

I used to get bad headaches at that age when high OR low, but I only really get them these days if I've had a serious hypo.
I know how difficult it must be at his age to make him to do things! But encourage him to drink much more water than usual to flush anything out that could be floating around (which would probably be a good idea if he's coming down with something also). If he is coming down with illness be aware as i'm sure you know that his levels will be much more sensitive.

I could be wrong here, but something I found gave and does give me headaches is eating white bread/pasta which I assume is caused by it being fast release and converted into sugar very quickly- (just remembered this from eating white bread rolls at school!) Potatoes do something similar, although everyone is different.

"Should I make him eat something even though he feels ill? Should I just stop thinking about it all so much?"
Just make sure that before bedtimes especially that he has eaten something, hunger can be a symptom of both high and low blood sugars- speak to doc about insulin requirements/dietary requirements when ill. :)

I hope you're coping okay! It's a crazy thing to get your head around, but it'll be crystal in no time I'm certain. He will instinctively understand what his body is telling him over time and how it reacts and what to do etc!

Hope you're well
All the best

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Migraine? Very common in teenagers and can make you feel very sick. A friends daughter suffered for many years with just sickness, no head pain. Please don't assume the cause is diabetes.