Type 2 Feeling strange during the night

KerryD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I have had type 2 diabetes for around 4 years, it is managed very well, I have metformin slow release, I take three a day and have done for 18 months with no problems. generally I feel very well, however during the night on a couple of occasions I have woken up and feel as if I am going to faint whilst lying down, its almost like I want to crawl out of my own skin, its a horrible feeling, I thought that I may have needed the bathroom and got out of bed and then felt nauseous and I fainted, fortunately my husband helped me. Wondered if anyone else has these problems during the night? Could it be that both times I have been very active during the daytime and possibly not eaten enough?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Do you have a home blood glucose testing kit?
Really, the only way to tell if your feeling bad in the night is due to your blood glucose is by testing it at the time.

It may be a result of not eating, and being very active during the night, but it may also be something else.

It would be a good idea to see your doctor and discuss it with them. Fainting when you get up in the night is not normal, and you could injure yourself, so your doctor definitely needs to know about it!

Please let us know how you get on. :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Rosiegough_

Haydnpat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had type 2 diabetes for around 4 years, it is managed very well, I have metformin slow release, I take three a day and have done for 18 months with no problems. generally I feel very well, however during the night on a couple of occasions I have woken up and feel as if I am going to faint whilst lying down, its almost like I want to crawl out of my own skin, its a horrible feeling, I thought that I may have needed the bathroom and got out of bed and then felt nauseous and I fainted, fortunately my husband helped me. Wondered if anyone else has these problems during the night? Could it be that both times I have been very active during the daytime and possibly not eaten enough?

I have this too, I found it happens if I have eaten late in the evening.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You really need to visit your doctor ASAP. It could be blood sugars or blood pressure - or anything. My husband recently went through of phase of feeling faint and actually fainting on a couple of occasions - a blood test showed he was very deficient in Vit. D and B12.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds like my night time experiences. It wasn't until I tested my blood in the middle of the night and found my level was 3.5 that I realised I was having hypos in my sleep. I discussed this with my diabetic nurse and was advised of changes to make with my medication if I was getting good daytime control (which doesn't always happen with me!).
If I were you I'd go to the GP or diabetic nurse and see what they say. You can't really guess on this and need to test to see what's going on. Someone else's experience of something similar is not enough to go on for you health.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds to me more like a drop in blood pressure. Our BP should normally drop when asleep, but never low enough to feel faint or actually faint. I would go to your GP.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife has low blood pressure and it is sounding a lot like this is your problem. Or it may be very low blood sugars, did you test blood sugar levels when it happened ?
Either way .. Please talk to your Dr about this as it not something that should be left unchecked

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the interesting experience of getting lost in the bedroom when taking Metformin, despite normally being able to walk about in the dark with perfect confidence.
From what I have read Metformin causes a deficiency in B12, but that was the least of my worries when taking it.
You should talk to your GP and get your problems on record - I think that there is a lot of under recording of side effect when doctors have the idea that it is worth it for the patient to have the benefits of a medication.