Feeling super down after getting diagnosed! :(

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... and.. buy a comfort axe?

Ok, perhaps not but from having spent a little time in the Arctic circle, the long dark is no fun. Neither is SAD, or seasonally affective disorder that can make people feel down in Winter. Some things that may help with that are vitamin D supplements and getting some daylight balanced lamps for your home. A lot of regular CFLs and lights are quite 'cold', so a warmer version may help with mood.

Reactions: Prem51

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can change your future for the better, so focus on that.

Join the low carb programme - the videos, forum, downloads and to some extent the tracker pages will inspire and help. Go higher fat/protein initially to break the carbs habit. Seek out low carb alternatives to what you used to eat - some are better than what you were used to, others just interesting changes. Even if it is not as good, it's better than serious medical complications, so eat/drink the smart choices.

Measure and record not only bg, but what you eat/drink so you can see what causes what effect so you can increase control over time.

I've lost 23Kg so far since diagnosis 10 weeks ago - even people I don't know well like lifeguards at the pool where I exercise 2-3 times a week surprise me by noticing the changes - I've had to have formal clothes reduced in size and buy new casuals - and best of all morning bg has been under 6.5 for the last four weeks (from over 10 when I started recording). I'm still in the obese BMI range, so still have a way to go - but I'm already looking forward to getting healthier and setting new targets for myself.

Look forward to a healthier future and I hope the blues will melt away for you.

glucogirl6499

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hey everyone, My name is Hilmar I am Icelandic 33yo and I was diagnosed a month ago with D2.
I am just so sad that this is where I am at and I know I am lucky in many ways. I know a lot of people have it way worse but I feel like I have nowhere to share this.

I inject myself with Insulin now both Insulatard 1x and Novorapid 4 x a day if need be. And it always seems to be necessary. I feel constant guilt and shame about anything I consume. I feel better in some ways now after I got the Insulin but also I feel very strange and my mood is so unstable. I normally never lose control of my emotions or get angry but I feel like I am constantly having to put out fires that I caused with both friends/family and or just strangers that I am rude to because everything seems so hard now. I have no patience and I am very quick to feel like it's me against the world.

I do blame myself a lot because I should have been taking much better care of myself for many years and I have become overweight now. It's a strange thing as I felt I was doing "right" after quitting drinking alcohol over 5 years ago. But I quickly just replaced wine with sugar drinks in the evenings.

Evenings and nights are hell for me and I just can't stop thinking about food or sugar. I feel like I should be stronger and thank God for having a beautiful life. But I also feel like I can't do anything that makes me feel good or happy. The more I read the more depressed I get and I am just really struggling with this. Also, I feel like my BS is all over the place and I feel scared all the time if I am doing something wrong. I find it so hard to get motivated to exercise and just want to sleep or be in bed all day. I have cut out all sugar and I count my carbs. It's just a very sad life. Has anyone been here? Any pointers?

I'm new too this, last week - I'm finding staying in carb constraints hard, I'm used to savoury meals more than sweet stuff but portions the issue before without realising how excess it all was.
Now I'm NDH pre diabetes but on 2g glucophage a day.
Got a meter today, had lunch 4 chicken legs 4.5g carbs, 2 granary slices bread and a cappacino coffee with 2sweeters ( and 1.5 hours later I was 8.1) now I am on week 2 of oral steroids for asthma.
I suffer depression and would like to help say and make you believe "we can do this"
We have all these wonderful helpers, supporters with lots of knowledge.
Ok have a bad day but make that a promise that tomorrow will be a good day!
Try not to be scared, put all that scared energy in to a fight, with yourself where you shake yourself and say, " I'm stronger than I look, I'm stronger than I feel - now roar at yourself loudly (till the embarrassment makes you giggle!!

Ask someone on here if sugar free jelly is ok or sugar free water on ice that's fizzy or I drink freshly squeezed lemon in water - all the little bits get rid of my major melt downs - even cleaning your teeth because how awful stuff tastes when your mouth is just tingling with toothpaste. Draw or paint a success stamp in a book and write why you did that

This may be too basic and I'm spouting nonsense being new - just wanted to show support to you and boost you up ✍start writing down emergency tactics to go to like safe recipes, safe drinks (sugar free jelly ice cubes to suck keep your chin up high Strength especially in numbers (here)

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Evenings and nights are hell for me and I just can't stop thinking about food or sugar. I feel like I should be stronger and thank God for having a beautiful life. But I also feel like I can't do anything that makes me feel good or happy.
Hi Hilmar, welcome to the forum - we're all members of a club we'd rather have nothing to do with! i remember how scared i was when i was first diagnosed, finding myself in tears when i wasn't expecting to, etc.,etc. the good news is that your tastes can change and the cravings for sugar and carbs go away after time - but it can take a little while for your body to reset itself, so patience and hanging in there is needed. the really important thing is not to beat yourself up if you fall off the low-carb/low-sugar wagon - that doesn't make you a bad person, and it also doesn't mean that any efforts you've already made have been wasted. just keep going as best you can, and try switching to food like nuts when you're desperate for a snack. i would also really encourage you to try and exercise - as someone who would much rather stay in bed than do anything energetic, i know how hard it can be to make yourself be active, but it is really worth it - i dance around my sitting room every day, as at least if there is music playing, there is a chance that i can make myself get up and move! good luck and keep going. :)

Hansenguy62

Hey everyone, My name is Hilmar I am Icelandic 33yo and I was diagnosed a month ago with D2.
I am just so sad that this is where I am at and I know I am lucky in many ways. I know a lot of people have it way worse but I feel like I have nowhere to share this.

I inject myself with Insulin now both Insulatard 1x and Novorapid 4 x a day if need be. And it always seems to be necessary. I feel constant guilt and shame about anything I consume. I feel better in some ways now after I got the Insulin but also I feel very strange and my mood is so unstable. I normally never lose control of my emotions or get angry but I feel like I am constantly having to put out fires that I caused with both friends/family and or just strangers that I am rude to because everything seems so hard now. I have no patience and I am very quick to feel like it's me against the world.

I do blame myself a lot because I should have been taking much better care of myself for many years and I have become overweight now. It's a strange thing as I felt I was doing "right" after quitting drinking alcohol over 5 years ago. But I quickly just replaced wine with sugar drinks in the evenings.

Evenings and nights are hell for me and I just can't stop thinking about food or sugar. I feel like I should be stronger and thank God for having a beautiful life. But I also feel like I can't do anything that makes me feel good or happy. The more I read the more depressed I get and I am just really struggling with this. Also, I feel like my BS is all over the place and I feel scared all the time if I am doing something wrong. I find it so hard to get motivated to exercise and just want to sleep or be in bed all day. I have cut out all sugar and I count my carbs. It's just a very sad life. Has anyone been here? Any pointers?
I just recently got diagnosed too. Doc offered me meds i refused. I made a lifestyle change? Im 55 fit but love and crace candy sweets sugar. Its hard but u can do it. Take your time? High fat high protein low carb. I lost 13 lbs in 32 days.
I run.lift weights. Udont have to do that but maybe walk? Just get moving.u can do it. Im going back march for my blood work im determoned to lowery sugar. Lets do it. Yes?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Hilmar. I'm so sorry you're in the same boat as the rest of us. But, it does get better. The first months after diagnoses are a kick in the head though. You've obviously read up, and you're in an area where you can switch to the Nordic Diet easily, so that's a plus. But it takes a while for a body (and mind) to stop craving sugar, and you can be unpleasant to be around: Tell people what's going on! Dietary changes and insulin/medication affect your mood as it is, and getting a life-changing diagnoses doesn't help either. It is handy if people know and understand that, so you can put out social fires more efficiently. Be open about it, and there may be more support for your situation than you dared hope for. I used to put about 5 spoons of sugar in my coffee (4 in espresso), and the dutch put chocolate sprinkles on their buns, it's a normal breakfast/lunch-option... I never thought I wouldn't miss sugar, but I really don't. It's true, tastes and cravings change, it just takes time. You can do it! It's like kicking smokes or alcohol, really. The body just needs time to adjust, and the mind will follow. One thing you could tackle too... Try to stop kicking yourself around. The coulda-shoulda-woulda's don't make a difference now. You're genetically predisposed to get this condition, other things factored in, but if you'd known this was coming, you would have done things differently. But you didn't know, couldn't know. Now you do, and now you can act on it. But basically, give yourself a break, and some time. Time to figure out what works for you in diet and/or medication, time to accept what life's like now, time to adjust mentally and physically. It's not all going to change overnight, and hey, falling off the wagon happens. It's getting back on that makes the difference. Good luck from the Netherlands!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hej @HilmarHalfdansson !
Well done for making your first few posts. It seems you have already taken some important steps to get your head straight with your T2. The issue of moods/anger is perhaps something that your close family and friends need to learn about and understand with you. It's not your fault! High carbs, low sugar- several things can set you off.
As members have said, it does get easier. Take small steps for now and be gentle to yourself while you learn. All the best. NMD.