Feeling useless

Tan31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people that like to be mean and horrible towards people well the world is not at its best now so always be kind
Hi everyone
I'm new to this and I'm type one diabetic was dignosed in 2011 I'm struggling with getting my blood sugars right and I'm on tablets for my depression I feel I'm down and moody most day :(:(

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Lots of advice and support on this site.

Join one of the many what was your blood sugar level threads and post your levels, good or bad, you will get support.

The expression eat to your meter is a helpful one and if possible keep a food diary.
It is not easy, but with encouragement it is possible to get some level of stability.

Mood swings and depression I can't offer advice as Mrs J my wife says I'm a grumpy old ba....., but I can confirm low sugar levels do make me irritable.
Stay strong and plan what you are going to do.

Reactions: karen8967 and Tan31

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Do you work do you have any hobbies do you volunteer for anything they all help?
I'm now getting near to 70 and not in too good a shape but I do get out and about quite a bit but .... I'm ok if I do nothing soon as I start driving kid sitting etc I go down hill pretty quickly and then have to stay home stay in sit still or lie down .... it's not easy.
My saving grace is having a hobby ... trying to make electronic/computer music and reading.
If that's you in the picture you'e young and presumably have energy that I don't.
Try finding a way of using that energy.
Burning up energy I find is one of the best medications going for all manner of things.

Reactions: Tan31

Tan31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people that like to be mean and horrible towards people well the world is not at its best now so always be kind
Yes I go for walks and take the kids out but I seem down more than happy

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yes I go for walks and take the kids out but I seem down more than happy
Happy seems to be an ever more elusive experience for more and more people in my view.
Youngsters demand respect without it ever crossing their minds what respect actually is and how people attain it .... you don't just get it and never did and I find this attitude is mostly with the younger men in my life/family.
A lot of people seem convinced that owning stuff will make them happy.
The latest this that and the other ... it doesn't and never will.
You get a nice new IPad or computer and in no time at all it's just an IPad or computer .... it was only special for a very short time and .... it was the object that was special not you not the person who maybe gave it as a gift.
Objects clothes and gadgets are special but fewer and fewer people seem to be unless of course they're famous or even infamous .... gotta have some rep ya know.

Another difficulty in this age of self and things is happiness is very often sought through pleasure .... I know because I've been there.
Happiness comes from contentment and joy.
It can't come from pleasure because pleasures are all around us in many forms and can even be purchased .... I know because I've purchased plenty in my time!
I can purchase pleasure in boxes skirts wraps takeaways showrooms etc it goes on and on.
A buzz is not happiness an object purchased is not happiness.
If these things led to happiness the world by now would be giddy with happiness and sadly it isn't.
Please don't think this is how I'm viewing you.
This is how I'm viewing the world from the experiences of my own life family youngsters friends youngsters and society in general which has never really been all it's been hoped to be but ..... we are definitely in an age of self and age of things like never before.
The consumer society and the me me must have I want and I want it now is rife all around me and as far as I'm concerned there's not a lot of ways out of this materialistic destructive mental prison we are building around our selves.
When do people actually stop and reflect .... look listen and or do nothing whatsoever?
Used to be normal .... just put your feet up and have a nicer cuppa .... no mobile no tablet no nothing else just the moment.
That simple pleasure no longer is it's now boredom.
We have achieved 24 hr daylight foods goods and services from across the planet and there seems to be unhappiness than ever with suicide figures across the western world on the up and up.
My answer?
Spirituality not materialism .... all you need is love .... and a of course a can of beans and the occasional beer.
Sorry for the ramble and I truly hope you find some inner contentment so that you can experience some occasional happiness.
Contentment isn't so hard to find as happiness but contentment can be a lasting basis for the fleeting moments of happiness we can experience now and then.
People who tell you they are content within themselves probably are and they have the foundations for happiness but people who tell you they are more than happy .... more than happy? or always happy are probably needing medication.