Feeling very rough

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No offence to the op, but an external energy source in the form of fats isn't needed.
Calorie restriction is, to decrease weight and improve insulin resistance.
The newcastle diet is 800 calories, and that seems to work for some.
Also a severe and rapid decrease in BS isn't the right way to go, if diabetes hasn't been diagnosed for a while, so more severe low carbing wouldn't be my choice.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am not saying high fat at all... But blimey, there has to be some.. This person is surviving with a 20st frame currently eating little more than a starvation diet....

There has to be some energy added in somewhere and carbs would not be tolerated well currently....so full fat cheese, full fat milk, full fat yogurt or cream... Just something to give some energy and muscle/organ strength....brain needs SOME fat... I am not talking about high fat @douglas99

Actually, the brain doesn't need fat, it uses glucose, or converts fats, body fats, protein, muscles, anything it can really.
I would imagine my brain survived on my stomach fat when I went on my low calorie diet. Then again, many on here would argue it died.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It wouldn't be my choice either.. But this is lower carbing without any other source of fat prob excluding milk in beverages or butter on toast perhaps.

Totally agree on getting levels down slower but not to stagnate....their should be a gradual drop each day.

I'm more concerned on the feeling so unwell still. I hope beverages and liquids are ones of good choice...i suspect so as hydration is very important too..

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
True, drink a lot of water, as your body will be using it's own glucose supplies, which are held in liquid in your bodies reserves, so you need to re-hydrate.

hoping

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am drinking mostly water some tea and coffee with one sweetener, all I have heard since Monday is your weight has brought this on, not the fact my mother my grandmother had it. So yes I am trying to eat a low cal low carb no sugar diet. I have spent all my working life doing 12- 18 hour days at work so am not 20 stone sat in a chair all day.
I can do whatever diet I need to but need to get away from how I feel.

I have said to the wife for the last 18 months that I felt rough but I have been able to carry on but Monday I hit a brick wall I tried to go back to work today but had to give in near the end of the day.
I just need to get rid of how I feel, its the feeling my head is going to fall off and my eye's, the fuzzy sight.
My doctor has told me to see him again on Tuesday, but can I feel like this until Tuesday I don't know.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am drinking mostly water some tea and coffee with one sweetener, all I have heard since Monday is your weight has brought this on, not the fact my mother my grandmother had it. So yes I am trying to eat a low cal low carb no sugar diet. I have spent all my working life doing 12- 18 hour days at work so am not 20 stone sat in a chair all day.

I have said to the wife for the last 18 months that I felt rough but I have been able to carry on but Monday I hit a brick wall I tried to go back to work today but had to give in near the end of the day.
I just need to get rid of how I feel, its the feeling my head is going to fall off and my eye's, the fuzzy sight.
My doctor has told me to see him again on Tuesday, but can I feel like this until Tuesday I don't know.

I was exactly the same.
I felt awful, everything ached, I fell asleep all the time, I woke up at night, it will get better.
As to the weight, I can't comment, other than to say, when I lost weight, I felt a lot better, and my BS came down..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hoping...

You are dealing with diet and drinking aspect well.

People can make assumptions largely due to the media (obesity/diabetes goes hand in hand) and your GP has that mindset too. However, you may find if you lose weight that your bloodlevels with all your diabetes & general health will improve. A lot of type 2's do find their diabetes control improves with weightloss.

If you are feeling that awful then perhaps phone the out of hours services phone number or go to a local walk in centre or the A&E. This I'm afraid is going to have to be your own choice. Only you can make that decision. I do sympathise as it is horrible being at the 20 mark.....

Incidentally. For veg, now its going to start to get colder.. You'll probably find that produce grown above ground will keep your levels less than veg grown in the ground.

Do you drink full fat milk? I would give that a go as a starting point. If you have too few calories initially your body will react and seems you are having quite low levels of carbs then you could also be having the "low carb flu symptoms" which wear off if you get them after about a week....

You may well be having a combination of these flu like symptoms and high levels making you feel ****...

Hopefully another type 2 will come along and advise. Sorry I am a type 1 of 30+ years, but I do still remember feeling so awful till my levels came down...

Keep posting, as there is a lot of help and advice here...

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are having a rough time.

Starting with fuzzy vision first, this is caused by the drop in your sugar levels. The eye contains fluid which contains sugar. As the concentration of sugar changes the fluids ability to bend and focus light changes causing fuzzy vision. Once your sugar levels stabilize at a lower level and your brain gets used to these lowered levels you should see your vision return to normal.

I agree with others suggestion that your symptoms are probably a combination of a diet that is both drastically lower in carbs but also in total calorific content. Your body should get used to lower carbs in about a week but you do need to give it some nourishment, so consider trying increasing food with fat in it ( go for normal rather than low fat versions of milk, cheese etc).

I would suggest that you use something like myfittnesspal to track how many carbs and calories you are consuming. Your current diet may be too low in calories and you could try setting yourself a less ambitious weight loss goal. It is important to lose the weight but it is better to do so steadily and slowly rather than overnight.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Wishing you the best

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

calorie restriction is ok, you lose weight faster. either way don't increase your protein above RDA of 50-60g
but if you go low carb and low fat, you will have less energy than low carb and the lost calories made back up with fats/oils lchf

it sounds like you have carb flu, which will go after the first week..the first week sucks
there are some links to it on the low carb craving link I gave you on page one.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @hoping. My suggestion would be to look at the newcastle diet - it is a very restrictive calorie controlled diet which mimics the effects of gastric band operations and has shown that it can reverse the effects of diabetes and you blood sugars are likely to stabilise within a couple of weeks. Do not do this alone - get the assistance of your HCP. Take the literature with you which you will get from the newcastle university web site. Afterwards stay on a lowish carb diet until you reach a target weight.

The newcastle diet lasts about 8 weeks so what is 2 months from the rest of your life! There are plenty of threads on the forum around it. So have a look around.

You can have a read of my first 3 month story from a very high level like you (finger prick test at about 11 of 24 on diagnosis) to normal levels as it may give you some insight into things. There is a link in my signature

Don't rely on the drugs alone - that way comes a life of misery and progressive worsening of the disease. Do something today and take control instead of being controlled.

Oh BTW I expect you are feeling awful because you have lowered your carbs drastically (known as carb flu) just keep going and it is likely to clear in a week.

hoping

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got up this morning did my blood before food and it was 20, had 2 slices of ham and a yogurt for breakfast did my blood again at 11.30 it was 15.4.
Felt a lot better when I got up and been able to do full day at work.
Things looking up thanks all.

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant news Hoping! Well done, that's excellent news. So glad you are feeling a bit better today:)