fever tree tonic

viktoria

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi every one. Just wanted to ask about Fever Tree naturally light tonic water. During a tare night out Saturday I decided to have a gin and tonic before mt meal. I requested slimline tonic. This came in the glass with no bottle. I proceeded to drink, it was very nice!! I had another later on in the meal and this came with the bottle. Not a brand I had seen before I read the bottle. I was surprised to see it had no artificial sweetener but was made with fructose. This was the 2nd ingredient on the list. It contained 4.8g of carb. It was a rare treat to have alcohol and I made allowance for the gin. I normally keep my cabs below 29g a day and zero sugar. I do not eat fruit at all. I do feel I should have been given a choice or been told of the sugar content.should the packaging state more clearly the ingredients or is this bee in my bonnet buzzing wrongly. If I wasn't carefull and had a few even without the gin would I have over loaded on sugar??? Opinions please!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fever tree is a lovely tonic water. I hate all the rubbish you get in even the major brands. I'd have wanted to know what I was drinking though.

Did you tell them you were diabetic? I always do that as a precaution as I find some people don't take in the Slimline bit of what you say.

Swan2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi every one. Just wanted to ask about Fever Tree naturally light tonic water. During a tare night out Saturday I decided to have a gin and tonic before mt meal. I requested slimline tonic. This came in the glass with no bottle. I proceeded to drink, it was very nice!! I had another later on in the meal and this came with the bottle. Not a brand I had seen before I read the bottle. I was surprised to see it had no artificial sweetener but was made with fructose. This was the 2nd ingredient on the list. It contained 4.8g of carb. It was a rare treat to have alcohol and I made allowance for the gin. I normally keep my cabs below 29g a day and zero sugar. I do not eat fruit at all. I do feel I should have been given a choice or been told of the sugar content.should the packaging state more clearly the ingredients or is this bee in my bonnet buzzing wrongly. If I wasn't carefull and had a few even without the gin would I have over loaded on sugar??? Opinions please!!!
I don’t think it is a Bee buzzing in your bonnet incorrectly. Since all the pubs stopped selling proper diet tonic for fever tree and similar brands I have been complaining then last November I got diagnosed out if the blue with type 2 diabetes. The only true diet option is usually Diet Coke which is not much good if you are on a night out and want to sleep properly afterwards. I am just in the process of seeing how much a glass of the fever tree affects my sugar levels. I take my own tonic out now and ask to use my own with gin I purchase. It’s going to be difficult on a 22 hour flight next year though unless all the airports I fly through let you take more than 100ml bottles of tonic so I can take my own.

Reactions: jjraak

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Contacted Fevertree after a gin and tonic debacle about 5 years ago. Which had me injecting insulin in the night. Pretty unsatisfactory answer. What worries me is the fact that staff in pubs etc have no idea there is sugar in the light tonic.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have been given a choice or been told of the sugar content.should the packaging state more clearly the ingredients or is this bee in my bonnet buzzing wrongly. If I wasn't carefull and had a few even without the gin would I have over loaded on sugar??? Opinions please!!!
Imho, it's still a long way off before servers understand low carb as well as they understand vegetarianism or coeliac for example. Manufacturers may well understand them better but are loath to restrict their markets even more. They do comply with labelling laws, its the law that needs strengthening.

I find all the Fevertree light versions are far too 'sugary' for me. Currently they can get away with the packaging by using natural sweeteners which, in the UK , don't need further explanation. Even their soda water is "sweetened"

For us with diabetes, strict reading and interpreting of labels will be needed for many years yet

Swan2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Contacted Fevertree after a gin and tonic debacle about 5 years ago. Which had me injecting insulin in the night. Pretty unsatisfactory answer. What worries me is the fact that staff in pubs etc have no idea there is sugar in the light tonic.
Even my diabetic nurse didn't know it has sugar in it! I am slowly trying to educate staff in pubs, etc.

Reactions: jjraak

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Equally annoying is the fact they don’t make a sugar free version. Or if they do, the supermarkets and bars don’t stock it.