Fgl Taken From Bed Vs Moving A Bit

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Anyone have observed any difference in terms of taking fgl right after awaken while still lying on bed versus after going to the bathroom or after walking down a flight of stairs?

I suspect after moving around a bit the fbg may be around 0.5mmol higher.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t say I’ve compared it systematically, but I don’t notice any significant differences. When at home my testing kit is in the living room so a short walk is always involved. Away from home usually on the bedside table and trends are generally so similar as not to make any difference.

By far the biggest impact is what and when I eat the day before, along with timing of exercise.

Reactions: millenium

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @millenium, Thank you for the intriguing question.
Until some people do the test we will not know. And to do it properly there would need to be a minimum number of subjects, same type of monitoring device etc etc.
And if you think about it glucose meters can have an error range of up to 15 %, so a reading of 5 mmol/l is +/- 0.75 mmol/l.
So that exceeds the difference of 0.5 mmol/l you are wondering about.
A much more accurate BSL measuring device would be needed I think to test your hypothesis.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I think it can also differ between individuals. My subject is 80 years old. His blood glucose control mechanism may not be as precise as a younger person. Maybe using a trend device to measure over few days may be more suitable.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Anyone have observed any difference in terms of taking fgl right after awaken while still lying on bed versus after going to the bathroom or after walking down a flight of stairs?

For me personally, my FSLibre shows no change whatsoever between being in bed and then getting up. However, my BG will usually start rising just before I wake up, sometimes even before one of those 3am visits to the bathroom and sometimes like this morning, not deviate at all. No real pattern that I can recognise.

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine rises once a move around. If I scan my Libre just as I wake up it will be lower, but as I get up, dressed etc, it can rise 1-2mmol before settling back down over the next 30-60 minutes. I am insulin resistant (PCOS and type 2) so I always have the dawn phenomenon