Finally diagnosed

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Just back from the doctors after my HBA1c test last week.

The prevous 2 HBA1c's within 10 days of each other were 57 and 10 days later 53. The doctor wanted to leave it for 3 months before testing again, as he wasn't sure if the high readings were due to a drug reaction I'd had. And the results of last week's test, 3 months after the last one is 48 and BG of 7.4

Is that good? The Doctor said it means I am Type 2 diabetic, but I'd have said I'm pre-diabetic? So not sure which is correct.

After the first couple of tests I'd put myself straight on to a very low Low Carb diet. I've never eaten cakes/biscuits or sugar, so I only had to give up pastry and high carb foods which wasn't too bad once I got used to checking the carb and the sugar conversion of foods.

So it looks like the low carb diet is doing the trick. The doctor has told me it can be treated by diet and no meds which is good. It was still a bit of a shock to find out I am diabetic, but I was half expecting it. Trying not to panic too much, and what to do with the 2 large tins of Scottish Shortcake I was given for Christmas? lol

I have an appointment on 1st June for some non fastng blood tests and a urine test, and then see the Diabetic Nurse on 9th June.

The only thing I've not done to try and reduce my BG level is walk more. I have difficulty breathing and asthma too so walking is very difficult for me. But I realise I must try to walk more to reduce the BG a bit more.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Muddles Yes I'm afraid you are diabetic. The diabetic range is anything over 47. But your HbA1c of 48 is at the lower end of the diabetic range and you should be able to lower it by diet and exercise.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes, welcome to the club (the one that no one wants to be a member of!)

Sounds like your dietary changes are working, but it may be worthwhile noting that if your HbA1c has dropped because of the changes, then you are still very much a diabetic - a well controlled diabetic.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that a lower HbA1c means that you are moving towards non-diabetes, because if you lapse in your diet, the bg will rise again.

Having said that, there are increasing numbers of people who (I am glad to say) are managing to reverse their diabetes and become symptom free, usually through weight loss and lowering the fat in and around their liver and pancreas. This enables them to work more efficiently, and cope with carbs.

No idea if you are at all overweight, but if so, you may find it interesting to look into this. It only works for less than half of people (fig taken from Professor Taylor's latest Newcastle Diet study), but for those people, it is lifechanging. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Thank you all for the replies.

I'm afraid I am overweight from when I gave up smoking 2 yrs ago. I piled on about 4 stones. At the moment I'm 15s 8lb. I'm 5ft 5ins so I should be about 11st but I had been 12 stone for donkey's years and that seemd to be the ideal weight for me. I have lost about half a stone over the last few months since going on the low carb diet, but I need to shift the other 3 and a half. I think my diabetes would improve then.

Exercise is where I fall down. I can't walk far as my hips are quite painful, although they get easier the more often I walk if I persevere, and I am quite breathless with either my asthma or because I'm overweight.

I don't have any of the symptoms of being diabetic, no thirst, don't urinate very often at all, just feel the same as I always have really.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm afraid I am overweight from when I gave up smoking 2 yrs ago. I piled on about 4 stones. At the moment I'm 15s 8lb. I'm 5ft 5ins so I should be about 11st but I had been 12 stone for donkey's years and that seemd to be the ideal weight for me. I have lost about half a stone over the last few months since going on the low carb diet, but I need to shift the other 3 and a half. I think my diabetes would improve then.

Exercise is where I fall down. I can't walk far as my hips are quite painful, although they get easier the more often I walk if I persevere, and I am quite breathless with either my asthma or because I'm overweight.

I don't have any of the symptoms of being diabetic, no thirst, don't urinate very often at all, just feel the same as I always have really.

Controlling your glucose and insulin levels thru carbs reduction and intermittent fasting would likely give you a good shot at losing weight as well. Do consider exploring that.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Muddles, it may not look that way right now but as a newly diagnosed T2 you are one of the "lucky ones".

Given that your HbA1C on diagnosis is quite low, and that it looks likely (from your weight and other issues) that your T2 is probably weight-related, that means that it is very likely (in my opinion) that a couple more months on a strict low-carbohydrate diet will bring you down to non-diabetic levels. In my case I went from 59 to 34 in 12 weeks, and have stayed there since. With a bit of creativity, and by dropping some old habits and assumptions about food (oh, I couldn't possibly have a roast without potatoes! oh, I couldn't possibly have curry without rice! that kind of thing), you can live a delicious foody lifestyle whilst normalising your blood sugar and dropping pounds at an amazing rate.

With time, and weight loss, I expect your issues with exercise will reduce. Although I would say that I have a bad knee which prevents me from doing my favourite exercise of running. My HbA1C rating was reduced ENTIRELY by reducing carbohydrates. I didn't do even one second of extra physical activity (I am starting to do that now, though, having joined a gym at work to use the crosstrainer and rowing machine).

Good luck and give us updates!

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
DevonBear you have given me new enthusiasm. I don't find changing diet a problem, infact I've been sticking to the no carbs diet pretty strictly, and if I do have them, its under 50g a day. I'd be over the moon if I could get my levels down to non-diabetic levels.

I know what I can and can't eat now, and I don't actually miss carbs that much if I'm honest.

I have invested in one of those half exercise bikes. You use it while sat on a chair or even sat on the sofa, and all it is, is a pair of pedals. You can change the pressure on the pedals the more you get used to it. And it's supposed to be as good as going for a real walk. I'll let you know how it goes, and if it helps with the weight loss.

Attachments

• minibike.jpg
    minibike.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 220

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I put on all my weight through giving up smoke too - well done for that! And welcome to the forum.
Keep up the low carb and do as much exercise as your hips/asthma will allow - the lighter you get, the easier it will get. Good luck and keep up the good work! :)

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Well I saw the diabetic doc last week and he was over the moon and told me he didn't know what I was doing but to keep doing it, and that my numbers were the best they'd ever been, and doesnt want to see me for another HBA1c for 12 mths.

I'm totally confused.
He said the HBA1c test result was 46 which he said was 6.4 But isn't 6.4 the old numbers?

So if my HBA1c test was 46 is that 46%, and if so does that equat to 6.4 or 7.5.

And if it's either of those does that mean I'm diabetic, pre-diabetic or normal?

I'm not on any meds for diabetes, I'm just controlling it by diet alone.

Some of the nurses at my practice use the old system some use the new, and the doctors are as bad, so you don't really know what your numbers are. When I had my first HBA1c back in January they said it was 57. So I assume that was 57%.

Am I doing ok? Am I reversing it? I can't get any sense out of the doctors or nurses, they really are useless at my surgery, you're rushed in and out before you can get any information.

I'm still on my low carb diet, but my weight has got stuck for the last few months and nothings moving #fedup

Last edited:

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
Well I fell off the wagon, and paid for it, mainly because I was given lots of choc at Xmas and I'd lost over two stone in weight and relaxed the strict low carb diet I put myself on.

The doc told me in November I was no longer diabetic and didn't want to see me for 12 months, and I thought I could relax a bit. So introduced a few more carbs into my meals. Not a lot, just a few, but enough to raise my BG.

Had an HBA1c couple weeks ago because I wasn't losing weight anymore, and My BG is up to 50 and my thyroid TSH is 4.8.

So I'm booked in for another test in a month. It will go back down a bit in a month if I stick to the lie/no carb diet but it'll take a month or so to get back to 46.

I don't want to go on Meds if I can help it, I've not had to take them yet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Constant vigilance!!
I'm afraid that is the only way - I managed to drop my Hba1c to 47, which is classed as prediabetc, but I accept that I am just walking a tightrope and the ground is no closer than it was, I am diabetic controlled by diet and I have to maintain by keeping myself balanced on that low carb line.
However - it isn't that bad. The food is great, and it means no tablets, so I am happy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I fell off the wagon, and paid for it, mainly because I was given lots of choc at Xmas and I'd lost over two stone in weight and relaxed the strict low carb diet I put myself on.

The doc told me in November I was no longer diabetic and didn't want to see me for 12 months, and I thought I could relax a bit. So introduced a few more carbs into my meals. Not a lot, just a few, but enough to raise my BG.

Had an HBA1c couple weeks ago because I wasn't losing weight anymore, and My BG is up to 50 and my thyroid TSH is 4.8.

So I'm booked in for another test in a month. It will go back down a bit in a month if I stick to the lie/no carb diet but it'll take a month or so to get back to 46.

I don't want to go on Meds if I can help it, I've not had to take them yet.

Its a pain, isn't it?
Although you are to be congratulated for actually catching it in time. Often things get a lot worse before people admit that they have lost the plot. :D
I sometimes think that finding the sustainable comfort zone is harder than the getting-control phase.