Finally getting a pump

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
The handset which you test and can change majority of stuff on does come with a case.

However, the case is not perfect and Accuchek know this. The place given in the case to hold the testing strips bangs against the on/off button on the pump so I have used an old SD codefree case for mine which is a lot better.
Not another case to cart around :-(
If Accuchek know it why don't they do something about it seems quite important hitting the on off button ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They ate doing something about it. By Jume they prob will have another case. They are well aware.

Its not another case to carry tound as you need nothing else. Thats it.. The tester is in the handset etc so you don't need another tester.

Honest the handset is the best thing since sliced bread!! It's the best!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Yeahh mid June I go on the dummy pump, so hopefully by early July when I get my own one the problem will be fixed :)

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They ate doing something about it. By Jume they prob will have another case. They are well aware.

Its not another case to carry tound as you need nothing else. Thats it.. The tester is in the handset etc so you don't need another tester.

Honest the handset is the best thing since sliced bread!! It's the best!!!!
Are you the only person on the forum on the insight? Doesn't seem many talking about it ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@ElyDave is too. Don't forget it isn't released fully to public yet..... We are guinea pig public:):):)

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have every confidence that you will love it. By June the sets will all be available and hopefully they will have sorted out the cases too.

You can PM me anytime.

I know I sound like an accuchek employee but I have no interest in the Company at all. I just simply love their pump and their customer service.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have every confidence that you will love it. By June the sets will all be available and hopefully they will have sorted out the cases too.

You can PM me anytime.

I know I sound like an accuchek employee but I have no interest in the Company at all. I just simply love their pump and their customer service.
Yeh me too I've never even considered anything else but them

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yeh me too I've never even considered anything else but them
Wait till you get it!! Lol.. You'll be as fanatical as I am.

Personally though the only thing I cannot get on with is their flex sets. Rapid d's steel ones are the only ones that give me consistent good levels. I know I'm lean and muscle more than fat but others I know that are children or more fat than me have better results on 6mm steel rapids....

Good luck and makesure 2 weeks before hand you do every timing of trsts, foods, getting up and 3am tests as well. Then they'll have the best info to go by to assist your set up...x

Reactions: 4 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya, I have finally been approved for the pump and was given two options, Medtronic Veo or Accu-check insight. I have decided on the insight as I really like the idea of controlling it from the handset and not have to get the pump out of my bra .

I'm just waiting on my start date now. I really hope I've made the right decision but suppose will never know as don't have anything to compare to.

Any advice anyone can give me for starting out would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited about the change but apprehensive about what to expect.

Thank Janny
Well done
i start my saline trail on 17 feb
did'nt get any options on pumps
but anything is better than nothing
it look like a have the medtronic.
WHO CARES

all the best
the start of a new way of life

Reactions: 3 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well done
i start my saline trail on 17 feb
did'nt get any options on pumps
but anything is better than nothing
it look like a have the medtronic.
WHO CARES

all the best
the start of a new way of life
Hope it goes well for you I'm sure whatever pump a person is given it will vastly improve their control :)

JannyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck Caretaker, hope it goes well for you.

Thanks DD for all your comments, there's certainly a lot to take in. This forum is fab, it's nice knowing other people out there in the same boat.

I just want to get started now but need to patiently wait for my start date and patience isn't my strong side

Lambey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to here such good reviews of the accu check insight. I started on the Combo in October and have just had a letter that Roche will honour an upgrade to the insight if I want it. Going to meet the rep next month.

Reactions: 5 people

vickstar10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went from being on the four a day injections, to being on the insight pump in December. Been a dodle to use. Your nurse sets everything up for you and uses your current insulin rates to set your 5 basal profiles. Then you get put onto the 3rd one for a week to see how much insulin you actually need as you'll need a lot less. You get told to reduce your background insulin the night before by half. The only thing you'll need to do yourself before getting put onto it is make sure you have the right insulin, and the test strips. You'll have to check your sugars a minimum of 6 times a day when on the insulin pump. You'll get sent a box in the post of 1 box of 10 8mm cannulas, 1 box of 10 8/70 infusion set, you can also order 8/40. You will also get a lot of lithium batteries which 1 lasted me 2 months. And some booklets, batteries caps, and the pump and handset, with a stylud, usb memory stick, lead and charger and a bag for everything. Be warned to be in when it arrives or you will have to walk a long way carrying something very heavy if you don't drive. Takes 30mins for the nurse to set up your basal profiles every time you go to your appointment, but it generally helps your diabetes management. My long term test has gone down to 46 when it was 114. You might loose weight also. I've lost 2 stone since starting on it december 2nd in one of the early group tests. So it is both good and bad, but hope it works well for you :)

Attachments

• 10431344_1503279266588630_5861234688523722783_o.jpg
    10431344_1503279266588630_5861234688523722783_o.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 221

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not all hospitals work this way.. Some you don't get anything until you get to the hospital.

The most important thing is that you pump person at your hospital gives you a script to take to chemist before you go on the pump...and a letter for GP informing GP of the change in insulin.

My dsn sent both script and letter to me so that I could take a cartridge on the day from home to the hospital when grtting the pump from hospital.. Not sent to home.

Then given just 3 basic sets and 2 tubes and told to phone accuchek for supplies.

Hospitals haven't got set standards of how they give pumps to patients. Some hospitals you have to order your spares through them! Not direct with accuchek.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Again, hospitals work differently with how you are managed on a pump.. Some will phone you at the end of the week, some you will be checked up after 2 weeks etc. Menwith the help of someone here was lucky that I started altering all my basals etc straightaway. Went back after two weeks and consultant almost fell off her chair in amazement and 99% left me to it from then on.

Hospitals vary with how they treat you pre and after pump.

JannyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I finally have a date, 27 April I go live. Can't quite believe how excited I feel