finally got changed to animal insulin but some confusion

AdamkT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone just need a bit of advice if possible. So I have just been changed to hyperpurin porcine isophane from last night and although my levels are ok I feel very tired. I am also on humalog still as my nurse said to change one at a time.

Does it take a while to adjust maybe? I feel very weary and tired.

Thanks in advance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @AdamkT1

How are your blood sugars?

I use Hypurin Porcine Neutral but no long acting porcine as I'm on a pump. I changed to porcine from Humalog and felt better within a few days.

I didn't feel spacey at all. In fact, it was the Humalog that was making me feel ill and that was the reason I swapped.

AdamkT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @AdamkT1

I use Hypurin Porcine Neutral but no long acting porcine as I'm on a pump. I changed to porcine from Humalog and felt better within a few days.

I didn't feel spacey at all. In fact, it was the Humalog that was making me feel ill and that was the reason I swapped.

Hey Azure.

Blood sugars not too bad at all. Im still on humalog but diabetic nurse changed my intermediate from lantus then to humulin I now im on isophane porcine. Just wonderimg if I should stick this out. I did feel a little more clear headed earlier now just really tired and foggy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only you can make that decision @AdamkT1 It depends why you changed.

I changed because Humalog was making me feel chronically tired, foggy-headed, giving me GI upsets and awful aching joints and weak muscles. I'd say it was maybe 3 days to feel better, a week to feel good, and two weeks to feel fantastic - but that's just me.

I've never used isophane porcine only the porcine neutral.

It would make sense to do the full change, including changing from the Humalog to porcine insulin, and then see how you feel. There are other people who use porcine insulin here, so keep checking back :)

AdamkT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only you can make that decision @AdamkT1 It depends why you changed.

I changed because Humalog was making me feel chronically tired, foggy-headed, giving me GI upsets and awful aching joints and weak muscles. I'd say it was maybe 3 days to feel better, a week to feel good, and two weeks to feel fantastic - but that's just me.

I've never used isophane porcine only the porcine neutral.

It would make sense to do the full change, including changing from the Humalog to porcine insulin, and then see how you feel. There are other people who use porcine insulin here, so keep checking back :)

wow thank you. I am chronically tired and foggy headed. Thats why i wanted to change i was on humulin mix 70/30 without any probs then ten years ago put on lantus and hjmalog for a long time then four months ago changed to humulin I and I have to say I felt a lot better but not right still.

I read about the benefits some people had of using animal insulin and had my heart set on it so I think I should stick it out see my DN monday week and ask to change the humalog as well to animal. Its so frustrating as lantus and humalog although gave me great readings made me feel bad from what my bodies telling me.

thanks for the advice and sorry to be so confusing!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're welcome - and you're not confusing :)

Some people do have problems with human insulin - and the analogues in particular. I feel so much better on porcine. It might not work as fast as the Humalog, but it means I have my life back.

I hope it works out for you too :)

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used both and recently tried porcine isophane again after many years to see if it had a flatter profile, for me it didn't make much difference (to Humalin I) but I don't recall feeling any different, like @azure I do struggle with human insulins particularly analogues which do make me feel very tired and almost shaky so at the minute I take Humalin S and until recently Humalin I, I am trying Lantus again but have always done better on the original human quick acting insulins (humalin S, insulatard) which are slightly slower action to the more recent analogue insulins ( humalog/novorapid) It is a mine field and I think any change can make you feel tired and lethargic as you make an adjustment. I have a feeling a I might yet revert back to Humalin I!!! But trying all the same as we all have to, to find the best fit!! Good Luck:)

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AdamkT1

I don't want to defer too much from the OP but was interested to hear you are on Porcine in your pump? I tried a pump for six months on novo rapid which I have never got on terribly well with but it was the only option for me! I hypo'd so much on novorapid in the mornings at work (physical work but probably no harder than a gym workout!) I had to actually turn the pump off for two hours much to my DSN's horror! I had very poor support with my pump and actually received the best support from the reps!! I did ask at the time if I could use my trusted Humalin S or similar in my pump as the novo rapid made me feel so terrible and it just wasn't an option so when I saw your post I was amazed and reassured to hear you have porcine in your pump!!! I am in discussions about using a pump again but didn't think other insulins were ever going to be an option for it!
Sorry @AdamkT1 to get off track from your post;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@NinaB73 Despite what people might tell you, there's no reason you can't use porcine in a pump. I use it, others use it, and studies have shown it to be fine. It doesn't crystallise or cause occlusions. Theres absolutely no difference except you may need slightly more porcine than analogues, and you obviously have to bolus in advance. But now it's been shown that it's not wise to bolus just before eating (analogues big selling point when first introduced) then there's little difference.

Don't let them tell you otherwise :)

AdamkT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't want to defer too much from the OP but was interested to hear you are on Porcine in your pump? I tried a pump for six months on novo rapid which I have never got on terribly well with but it was the only option for me! I hypo'd so much on novorapid in the mornings at work (physical work but probably no harder than a gym workout!) I had to actually turn the pump off for two hours much to my DSN's horror! I had very poor support with my pump and actually received the best support from the reps!! I did ask at the time if I could use my trusted Humalin S or similar in my pump as the novo rapid made me feel so terrible and it just wasn't an option so when I saw your post I was amazed and reassured to hear you have porcine in your pump!!! I am in discussions about using a pump again but didn't think other insulins were ever going to be an option for it!
Sorry @AdamkT1 to get off track from your post;)

dont be sorry its fine lol

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm another one who uses animal insulin in a pump. I use Bovine though. As @azure says there is no reason why other insulin's can not be used in pumps.
Just remember pumps were in use way before synthetic insulin was ever invented. So if you think logically something had to go in the pumps and it sure wasn't washing up liquid ;)

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NinaB73 Despite what people might tell you, there's no reason you can't use porcine in a pump. I use it, others use it, and studies have shown it to be fine. It doesn't crystallise or cause occlusions. Theres absolutely no difference except you may need slightly more porcine than analogues, and you obviously have to bolus in advance. But now it's been shown that it's not wise to bolus just before eating (analogues big selling point when first introduced) then there's little difference.

Don't let them tell you otherwise :)
That's interesting @azure and this is all giving me something to think about! I often wondered why I couldn't use my trusted Humalin S! I think it boils down to the care and knowledge of individual Diabetes teams, mine offered one type of pump and one type of insulin!! It is certainly an option for me to try a pump again in the future and I may look into this further.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm another one who uses animal insulin in a pump. I use Bovine though. As @azure says there is no reason why other insulin's can not be used in pumps.
Just remember pumps were in use way before synthetic insulin was ever invented. So if you think logically something had to go in the pumps and it sure wasn't washing up liquid ;)
Good point!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as the insulin has a buffer, you can use it in pumps, as far as i know - more than 36 years ago i was on an NHS pump trial using the then formulation of pork actrapid, I use hypurin neutral now

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@AdamkT1 i use porcine insulin ( now also on a pump) and had 3 years on human insulin in the late 80s before switching back to animal after complete loss of hypo symptoms. When i switched back i switched both at once and my symptoms came back.
Good luck!

@NinaB73 i also use neutral in a pump. The initial response of my hospital was negative but i assumed it would be and i had brought along an academic article provided by iddt on using porcine in a pump. I'd also had a long chat with the author about the ins and outs. Basically providing the pump can manage the active profile of your insulin type and nearly all can do 6 hrs it shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to do more work yourself on the rates as the hospital and reps will claim they know nothing about it but that's a small price to pay in my book. You can also get lots of help here! Good luck if you try again.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i had 7 years on human insulin, very unpleasant years, in 80's , and changed back early 1990's, and always been on porcine on the pump. There has never been enthusiasm from medical professionals, and, on the pump, no interest, it is tolerated, but if there is any problem at all, suddenly the suggestion that maybe changing insulins will be a good idea comes up, even when i can't see how it could be relevant. My own experience is that i have to be careful with the different action profile, especially at night. eg if i eat just a bit later, the "tail" of acting insulin left over may go into the night, and the basal has to be reduced. As i only use a tiny amount anyway in the early hours, this makes for a very low rate, not understood by medics, who do not seem trained about Hypurin.