Finally plucked courage to call Dr

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
When I finally got through the ever helpful receptionists (very sarcastic) said no appts. So dr is calling me tomorrow hopefully.

I realised over the weekend I’m on the highest doseage of my meds so I’ll ask if I can stay on (till I’m normal) but maybe drop dosage. I’m wondering if maybe it’s just a tad too high for me now.

Hopefully I won’t just get told to eat more carbs. Now I’m used to not eating (for the most part) I don’t want to upset that apple cart.

But I thought reducing dose to 5mg instead of 10 might do the trick, keep working ok my sugars but not make it ruddy hard work to keep them up to where I can work safely.

Was higher most of weekend (not surprising after jelly babygate, but today although started on the 6s by lunch was 4.5. Started getting the headache and the ratty so I ate a carb killa and that did the trick.,

But it is getting somewhat stressful trying to keep sugars down but but too down to where I just don’t feel safe. But down enough that I’ll hit normal figures in August.

Fingers crossed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well that was a dead end. Dr didn’t call and had left the surgery when I called to check. Apparently no longer a guarantee that she will call if requested.

First appt is 3/7 and it’s diabetic clinic so nurse will be there. Complete waste of tine because she will just drone on about how I need to eat carbs blah blah.

Really peed off and fed up.

I can ring for emergency but that means cancelling lessons and if it’s my learners that’s fine but sometimes I’m observing others teach so that’s 2 people affected not just me. And there are deadlines for those lessons.

I can call at 10 each day but I am usually teaching then so again same problem.

So stressed. Think I might just have to struggle on and hope the sugars behave.

Trying to get appt is as stressful as trying to keep levels safe enough to work.

Was fed up enough to have sweets but I didn’t. So one positive I guess!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your dr failed to keep a telephone appointment then they should reschedule another with a dr (not the nurse). If reception staff refuse then ask for the practice manager to explain their policy.

Well done on not diving into the sweets

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
If your dr failed to keep a telephone appointment then they should reschedule another with a dr (not the nurse). If reception staff refuse then ask for the practice manager to explain their policy.

Well done on not diving into the sweets

Wasn’t apt it was just a call back request but apparently it’s changed now

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You must push for an early appointment. In your job you do not want to be on too much medication making your BS go low. I would be ringing up again and pressing the point you need to speak to or see a GP quickly.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
What has changed? Meds or callback?

Call back. Apparently it’s now not a given you will get a call if you request it.

Would have been nice had they told me that on Monday.

Or yesterday. There were appts yesterday morning but I’d have have to cancel work so went with call. She even said I’ll try to get her to call before 11 before you go into lesson.

By 1.30 it had changed to well things have changed and we can’t guarantee a call back.

Complete waste of time.

You can only call at 10 and I’m generally working or at 8 for emergency.

Do t know if it’s worth seeing any dr because they don’t know me or the case. My dr knows everything so it’s easier and better.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do your surgery do “e consult”? Basically a form that gets reviewed and a response in 24-48 hrs. That response may be an appointment or a call or a prescription etc

Or actually book telephone appointments?

Or have access to out of hours appointments?

I understand that continuity is beneficial and I’d prefer it but any go should be able to review the medication and your responses to it. Will your dr actually remember? (Or just reread your notes) I don’t get the feeling that many really do as overworked and stressed as many are

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Do your surgery do “e consult”? Basically a form that gets reviewed and a response in 24-48 hrs. That response may be an appointment or a call or a prescription etc

Or actually book telephone appointments?

Or have access to out of hours appointments?

I understand that continuity is beneficial and I’d prefer it but any go should be able to review the medication and your responses to it. Will your dr actually remember? (Or just reread your notes) I don’t get the feeling that many really do as overworked and stressed as many are

I got an emergency appt with anyone today. Although to be fair they haven’t been as bad this week but they were last week.

Had sweet corn for dinner this week which is different and maybe causing higher. Although still got 4.5 Monday.

Was so stressed on phone as she was being typically unhelpful and rotveiller like I burst into tears and said I just need a b****y appt so she gave me that.

Although it means I loves work until 5.15 tonight as it’s smack bang in middle of day!

The stressful bit is the dealing with getting to dr.

And no, no booking calls no e wotsits nothing.

I may ask to speak to practice manager because it’s getting silly

Reactions: Serena51 and Evie-D

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
There we have it.

Got told by locus dr to eat more carbs to stop the drops. She wasn’t keen on me dropping meds which given she is locum can understand and why I wanted to see my dr.

I’ve agreed I will eat some berries at lunch time as they should be enough carbs etc to stop me dipping.

She mentioned dropping meds might slow down me getting into normal range or put my numbers up. Although she did say off the meds it was a hood diet but on my meds I do need carbs to stop the low sugars.

She didn’t like my fatty diet until I told her the facts, she then checked those facts by looking at my numbers and was shocked.

My cholesterol had gone down from 6s to 4s
My tri thingies had gone from 1.9 to 0.9.

Shame she was a young dr so would thing she would be bit more with the times but alas very much eat carbs.

But only good carbs like rice and only a little bit.
If still dropping in couple weeks I’ve to get a call back (I did explain that’s what I had requested to no avail)

Also requested meeting or chat with practice manager.

So off to get some fruit and some good carbs (not)

Reactions: Serena51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely crazy that drs want people to eat more carbs - that are demonstrated to be causing the damage - just so you can maintain a higher level of medication, especially when an true hypo (below 4) isn’t actually happening. Adding carbs might slow your progress or put your numbers up too!

She proved my point by agreeing your diet was good and it was only to cancel the excess meds (that cancel the carbs) that you need to up the carbs. How circular and counterintuitive is that.

Your choice what you do next. I think my opinion, and it is just that, is pretty clear and I wouldn’t let it go, or I’d be going rogue. Though I can understand why many or even most would follow official advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid this is what many doctors and nurses want us to do - eat to fit the meds, rather than fit the meds to what we eat. It is nonsense and counter productive. No wonder people end up on more and more meds and eventually insulin.

The decision is yours, of course, but if it were me I would be ignoring her. Why eat more carbs in order to raise BS levels so you can safely take your meds? You need to keep pushing this, or as @HSSS said, the temptation for me, if it were me, would be to go rogue and throw the meds in the bin. But that is me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add to my above post. As this doctor is a locum, she may be unwilling to change the meds your normal GP has prescribed. I can imagine it isn't a "done thing".

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Just to add to my above post. As this doctor is a locum, she may be unwilling to change the meds your normal GP has prescribed. I can imagine it isn't a "done thing".

That’s what I thought hence why I wanted to see my normal dr.
Think at this stage I’ll just add a bit of fruit and manage it.

If my hba1c drops I’ll work on dr in August and try to reduce or come off.

Wasting my time and money seeing a locum.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
First appt is 3/7 and it’s diabetic clinic so nurse will be there. Complete waste of tine because she will just drone on about how I need to eat carbs blah blah.

A complete waste of time? . . . . . .yet given the options you've mentioned, it is your best option, I suggest making the appointment.

This whole thing about carbs and how many carbs we should eat is a load of old cods wallop. Your medication should match your diet, not the other way round, end of story. You have chosen a dietary regime that doesn't require the amount of carb NICE suggests and that's it.

If you were gluten or lactose intolerant you'd avoid those things in your diet. If you had a nut allergy you'd avoid nuts. My wife can't eat kidney beans unless she wants to be ill. Your situation, my situation and a lot of type II people's situation is that we can't deal with the amount of carb they keep trying to make us eat. They would not tell someone with a nut allergy to carry on eating nuts and by the way here's an epipen with Adrenalin (epinephrine) for when you go into anaphylactic shock.

Reactions: AloeSvea and WuTwo

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
A complete waste of time? . . . . . .yet given the options you've mentioned, it is your best option, I suggest making the appointment.

This whole thing about carbs and how many carbs we should eat is a load of old cods wallop. Your medication should match your diet, not the other way round, end of story. You have chosen a dietary regime that doesn't require the amount of carb NICE suggests and that's it.

If you were gluten or lactose intolerant you'd avoid those things in your diet. If you had a nut allergy you'd avoid nuts. My wife can't eat kidney beans unless she wants to be ill. Your situation, my situation and a lot of type II people's situation is that we can't deal with the amount of carb they keep trying to make us eat. They would not tell someone with a nut allergy to carry on eating nuts and by the way here's an epipen with Adrenalin (epinephrine) for when you go into anaphylactic shock.

Waste if time because I know exactly what the nurse will say and that is exactly what the locum said yesterday which is you need to eat more carbs and you need to eat to allow for the meds.

My dr is more towards low carb and was happy the last time hence why I dont want to see the nurse but do want to see her.

Yesterday I lost £100 of work because I went to see a locum who spouted off about eating more carbs and wasn’t able to reduce the meds.

I’m self employed if I don’t work I don’t get paid.