Finally Sussed which BG monitor is inaccurate

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2, I'm not on any medication.
I use both the SD Code free and the CareSens Dual to monitor my BG levels.
A lot of the time, I test with both.
And there is consistently at least 1mmol/L difference in their readings.
With the SD Codefree giving me the higher reading.

Anyway, I started a fast last night. 14hrs in, I began to feel light headed, headachy, wobbly
(Hypo.....had struck.In my younger days I used to get a lot of hypos, when I restricted calories to lose weight)
At 18hrs into the fast, It was driving me nuts.
I then decide to end the fast and have a meal.
I had a big meal. low carb high fat, reasonable protein.
90mins later I am still feeling the Hypo.
I test and the readings from both BG monitors are as follows
SD Codefree 5mmol/L
CareSens dual 3.9mmol/L

My take away lesson is that finally I now know that the most likely BG monitor to have given me an inaccurate reading will be the SD Codefree, considering how hypoglycemic I feel.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2, I'm not on any medication.
I use both the SD Code free and the CareSens Dual to monitor my BG levels.
A lot of the time, I test with both.
And there is consistently at least 1mmol/L difference in their readings.
With the SD Codefree giving me the higher reading.

Anyway, I started a fast last night. 14hrs in, I began to feel light headed, headachy, wobbly
(Hypo.....had struck.In my younger days I used to get a lot of hypos, when I restricted calories to lose weight)
At 18hrs into the fast, It was driving me nuts.
I then decide to end the fast and have a meal.
I had a big meal. low carb high fat, reasonable protein.
90mins later I am still feeling the Hypo.
I test and the readings from both BG monitors are as follows
SD Codefree 5mmol/L
CareSens dual 3.9mmol/L

My take away lesson is that finally I now know that the most likely BG monitor to have given me an inaccurate reading will be the SD Codefree, considering how hypoglycemic I feel.
I have the same issue with different meters. One runs low and one high. I’ve been trying to strike a balance and find a bingo number but if I feel low or tear low on either, I treat it. My old meter seems to run low and my new one high and the high one correlates better with my A1C. However , the new one tells me I’m not hypo but I feel it. Very frustrating. So I decided 90 is bingo on the new one and I’ll focus more on staying steady with no spikes or dips and make that more of a priority than readings. Obviously keeping non diabetic readings and I do stay very steady already so it’s more of finding a reading I feel comfortable with in my brain

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 3 Meters & they all give a different reading although usually within 1 of each other so at the moment as I have test strips for all I will use all 3 until strips need replacing then use my codefree as trips are so much less exspensive rthan the other 2

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No meter is 100% accurate and you will get different readings on different meters that's why it is better to just stick to one as using more than one is confusing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is only a 1.1 difference in those readings, which can be common even using the same meter for consecutive tests. I see that sort of difference on my Accu Chek Mobile if I do consecutive tests. I'm afraid it is something we have to live with. I would advise you to put one meter away to be kept for emergency back ups and just stick to one of them otherwise a lot of confusion will set in.