1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Finding the elusive pattern

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by petsnponies, Apr 25, 2014.

1. petsnponies

petsnponies · Member

Hi all!

Does anyone here struggle to find a pattern with their blood sugars? I'm really trying to improve things for myself and part of that has involved writing down more. I now write down my blood readings (pre and post meal, before bed and during the night), I write down carbs eaten, insulin taken, exercise done. I'm even keeping a food diary. And looking back over my last 2 weeks results I can see numerous examples of me eating the same thing, same insulin, same exercise, etc and yet the variation in blood sugars from day to day is wild.

For example,

Yesterday I woke up at 9.3. I had a slice of burgen toast with peanut butter. I took 9 units of insulin. and one hour after my reading was 7.8.
    TODAY I wake up again at 9.3. I had a slice of burgen toast with peanut butter. I took 9 units of insulin and then went for a walk. My post meal reading (2 hours) is 9.7. What? Surely it should be lower because of the exercise??

There are numerous examples of this throughout my last couple of weeks records and I just don't know what to do. How can you possibly do this without being able to predict what your body is going to throw at you next?

2. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would look at your next reading - what was that? you will find the insulin is still working at 2 hours post. its useful for finding how much food spikes you but I dont read too much into it.

3. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You need to compare post meal values at the same number of hours after the meal. Testing after just one hour is bordering on meaningless. After 2 hours, if you are on insulin, is only useful for spotting hypos or foods that give you a high GI type of response. The crucial time for figuring out patterns would be 4-5 hours post meal. Often, this is before the next meal. Insulin bolus dose adjustments should only be made based on this +4 hour reading.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A walk won't have much of an effect on your blood sugar, particularly if you are used to that level of exercise.

Also if you are waking up at 9.3 each day you might want to increase your overnight basal dose. In turn that might minimise your problems during the day. With 9.3 as your morning reading, did you also take a correction dose in the morning?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook