MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
quick query.

Just finger pricked an hour ago, test was 9.9 (I had a huge bowl of mixed fruit earlier as a treat) so that was expected to be high.

Tested before bed an hour later and it was down to 5.7 which I thought odd. So tested again on another finger. Result was 8.3 this time.

Tested again on another finger and it was a 6.8.

I know there is some leeway on these machines but that much each time?

Anyone else never have results this way? I'm not worried in any way, just curious.

Thanks

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure do !! And as an insulin user with tight control it is the difference between more or less insulin. Very frustrating!! Meters have a 15-20% allowed meter error. Shameless.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All meters have an error margin unfortunately, and the higher your BG - the wider the range. To comply with the newest ISO standards, your meter will be +/- 15% of your measured BG 95% of the time. Have a look at this link and charts for reference :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

If you had tested your BG (without washing your hands and promptly after handling your food) then it's entirely possible that it was a false reading due to foodstuffs on your fingertips impacting on the readings...

[USER =240838]@Kristin251[/USER], it's more an issue with CYA (cover your ****) liability to the manufacturers. There had to be an accuracy error margin as to compensate for external environmental factors on the strips, such as heat, humidity, age, etc.

Everything has an error margin, even us! I wouldn't be so hard on the wee strips:)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I generally keep arange between 80-100. It's har djot to be. If the error is 20 points off it is the difference between a half unit and a whole. I have hypos because of it. Fluctuations make me feel like junk. A strip error can put me in a bad situation. I get that everything has errors. I just don't like it

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrXile. What meter are you using? Many years ago I purchased an Accu check meter as a xmas treat. It's my understanding these meters are very good BUT after 2 weeks I gave up with it. The fluctuations in results just wasn't acceptable for me. I'm not saying the meter was bad it just didn't suit me, granted it may have been the strips but nonetheless I couldn't rely on the system.
Changed to Freestyle optium xceed and found it far more accurate and reliable. It probably isn't a better machine or better strips but it suits me better.
P.s I also drive a Skoda and have done for many years :):):):):)

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
@MrXile. What meter are you using? Many years ago I purchased an Accu check meter as a xmas treat. It's my understanding these meters are very good BUT after 2 weeks I gave up with it. The fluctuations in results just wasn't acceptable for me. I'm not saying the meter was bad it just didn't suit me, granted it may have been the strips but nonetheless I couldn't rely on the system.
Changed to Freestyle optium xceed and found it far more accurate and reliable. It probably isn't a better machine or better strips but it suits me better.

Hiya,

I actually use the freestyle optium neo, and never had any adverse results before that one night I mentioned. Odd.

I've had generally consistent results, all we can think of is that my hands may have been contaminated with something even though I've washed and dried well.

I also accept the 15-20% fluctuations of meters but those results just seemed to random.

I drive a Qashqai. Lol

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrXile . Have recently received the optium neo as an upgrade from Abbotts. Have been amazed how comparative tests between old xceed and new neo are almost identical.
Contacting Skoda next week to see if they'll upgrade me to a new Octavia vRS.:):):):):)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you say your blood was 7.0, that +/-20% difference gives you a range of 5.6 to 8.4 - all your results are within that range.

So nothing to see here, move along.........;)

at first glance they do appear to be 'random' - but they're not. At least we don't have to pee on little paper sticks and then match up colours.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you say your blood was 7.0, that +/-20% difference gives you a range of 5.6 to 8.4 - all your results are within that range.

So nothing to see here, move along.........;)

at first glance they do appear to be 'random' - but they're not. At least we don't have to pee on little paper sticks and then match up colours.
Aaaaaahhhhhhh the good old days.:oldman::oldman:

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
I guess I'm lucky to have small plastic testing strips. Thankfully it's 2017 and I don't have to struggle like some of yof may have with various implements over the years.

Good luck with getting the upgrade The Rower lol

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Optium Neo but don't get the glucose strips prescribed. When I compared to my Accu Chek that I normally use they were about 1mmol/L different.

What's wrong with Skodas? :nailbiting:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@db89 . Nothing wrong with Skoda's but don't let everyone know or the price of them will go up:)

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
My father had a skoda yeti - he took it back after 2 months

Reactions: therower