Finger prick test fasting 5.6

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. My cousin's husband has had 2 fasting finger prick tests that have both been 5.6. His doctor has said he's diabetic, which is now written on his notes so he will have to declare it if he gets travel insurance, etc. I would have said 5.6 was borderline or, at most, pre-diabetic. Any thoughts about this?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In the U.K it takes two HbA1c tests to confirm a diagnosis of T2 Diabetes or Pre Diabetes.
I suggest you advise your relative to request this test as a finger prick fasting test is imo not enough to diagnose.

Reactions: Ceebee2

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
2 finger prick tests of 5.6 and diagnosed as T2? ....You've got to be kidding.

D

Deleted member 308541

I had a couple of OGTT about a month apart to get diagnosed T2.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. My cousin's husband has had 2 fasting finger prick tests that have both been 5.6. His doctor has said he's diabetic, which is now written on his notes so he will have to declare it if he gets travel insurance, etc. I would have said 5.6 was borderline or, at most, pre-diabetic. Any thoughts about this?

Magisham, it would certainly be somewhat ususual for a diagnosis to be made on those numbers alone. I wonder if any other testing was done recently, or in the past?

It is possible to do an HbA1c test from a finger prick, and maybe they got the 5.6 mixed up with 6.5%, which would be just into the diabetes range.

Of course my last sentence is pure speculation, but I maybe wonder if something got a bit muddled along the way.

Reactions: Juso

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Magisham, it would certainly be somewhat ususual for a diagnosis to be made on those numbers alone. I wonder if any other testing was done recently, or in the past?

It is possible to do an HbA1c test from a finger prick, and maybe they got the 5.6 mixed up with 6.5%, which would be just into the diabetes range.

Of course my last sentence is pure speculation, but I maybe wonder if something got a bit muddled along the way.

Something must of got muddled up.

It reminds me of the 1940's written piece, "Send us reinforcements we're going to advance." The message gets repeated along the line many times amid subtle changes and ends reaching it's destination as "Send us three and fourpence we're going to a dance."

Reactions: Struma

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the posters above: simple finger tests shouldn't be enough for a diagnosis: has your husband had an HbA1c done?
Next, the numbers aren't high enough. A fasting result of 5.6 isn't enough for a T2 diagnosis either.

There may be some context or reasonable explanation for your doctor's decision, but I certainly wouldn't accept it without clear explanation and a second opinion: it's entirely possible your doctor knows little or nothing about diabetes, and made a careless call for the sake of convenience.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, any fasting finger prick test that is not also an HbA1c is followed by an HbA1c test analysed in a laboratory. If that HbA1c is borderline or not significantly above the diabetes range, a second HbA1c is normally done within 2 weeks of the first before a firm diagnosis is made.

I think it is likely your cousin has not given you the full information. For a T2 diagnosis, a finger prick fasting test (that is not also an HbA1c) has to be 7mmol/l or above and will be followed by an HbA1c. These are the UK "rules".

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was an hb1ac and a fasting venous blood draw to diagnose - so actually doesn’t meet nhs guidelines I now realise.

According to the “other” site WHO state diagnosis is dependant on a venous or hb1ac test and either symptoms or a second test https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...nitoring/new_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes. Interestingly they say hb1ac is less favoured and can be overruled by venous fasting or OGTT and shouldn’t be used in the first 2 months of symptoms

Nhs say https://www.england.nhs.uk/rightcar...8/07/nhs-rightcare-pathway-diabetes.pdf#page4 hb1ac, fasting or ogtt but it should be two tests (the same one) or one with symptoms.

Can’t locate a NICE criteria. None of these mention fingerpricks. So I am going with a dodgy gp or dodgy retelling of the circumstances.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was an hb1ac and a fasting venous blood draw to diagnose - so actually doesn’t meet nhs guidelines I now realise.

According to the “other” site WHO state diagnosis is dependant on a venous or hb1ac test and either symptoms or a second test https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...nitoring/new_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes. Interestingly they say hb1ac is less favoured and can be overruled by venous fasting or OGTT and shouldn’t be used in the first 2 months of symptoms

Nhs say https://www.england.nhs.uk/rightcar...8/07/nhs-rightcare-pathway-diabetes.pdf#page4 hb1ac, fasting or ogtt but it should be two tests (the same one) or one with symptoms.

Can’t locate a NICE criteria. None of these mention fingerpricks. So I am going with a dodgy gp or dodgy retelling of the circumstances.

According to your signature your diagnostic HbA1c was 54, but what was your fasting venous glucose result? Was it 7 or over? And did you have any symptoms?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having two venous tests 3 months apart counts for a lot. On 28th September 2016 I had a test and the results were as follows:
fasting blood glucose:13.2
Triglycerides: 32.2
Total cholesterol: 15.8

My doctor was an open-minded, intelligent type, and he said I could try to bring it down for a few months before he made a definitive call, so I ate very clean for a few months. My next test, on 30th November,2016 was as follows:
Fasting blood glucose: 3.8
Triglycerides: 1.3
Total cholesterol 3.9

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to your signature your diagnostic HbA1c was 54, but what was your fasting venous glucose result? Was it 7 or over? And did you have any symptoms?
A week after the hb1ac of 54 I had a 7.3 fasting that I insisted on as I was in denial about the whole thing. Dr and dn were happy to diagnose on just the hb1ac. No osmotic symptoms as required. Just overwhelming tiredness. But then I was also low on b12 and ferretin so hardly fair to say which was contributing what to that. And had recently had half my thyroid out so a lot of metabolic adjustment was happening then too. Had I been told I was a suspected diabetic and then given the 3 months assuming I reacted the same then I would not be diagnosed as the second hb1ac 3 months later was prediabetic. It’s all a little arbitrary in low diabetic ranges I think.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A week after the hb1ac of 54 I had a 7.3 fasting that I insisted on as I was in denial about the whole thing. Dr and dn were happy to diagnose on just the hb1ac. No osmotic symptoms as required. Just overwhelming tiredness. But then I was also low on b12 and ferretin so hardly fair to say which was contributing what to that. And had recently had half my thyroid out so a lot of metabolic adjustment was happening then too. Had I been told I was a suspected diabetic and then given the 3 months assuming I reacted the same then I would not be diagnosed as the second hb1ac 3 months later was prediabetic. It’s all a little arbitrary in low diabetic ranges I think.

They were within the guidelines with your diagnosis. HbA1c of 54 and a FBG venous test of 7.3 would confirm T2 for most GPs. My HbA1c was 53 but my blood glucose test was random and was 7. Taken not long after my lunch. As it was a random blood glucose test and was under the cut off at 7.4 (normal is under 11 for random) I had a second HbA1c, which was the same as the first, so I was diagnosed T2. My surgery stopped all venous blood glucose tests shortly after this. Everyone gets the HbA1c.

I agree, all these levels are debatable unless they are high.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were within the guidelines with your diagnosis. HbA1c of 54 and a FBG venous test of 7.3 would confirm T2 for most GPs. My HbA1c was 53 but my blood glucose test was random and was 7. Taken not long after my lunch. As it was a random blood glucose test and was under the cut off at 7.4 (normal is under 11 for random) I had a second HbA1c, which was the same as the first, so I was diagnosed T2. My surgery stopped all venous blood glucose tests shortly after this. Everyone gets the HbA1c.

I agree, all these levels are debatable unless they are high.
I just meant nhs say the repeat test should be the same as whichever was used the first time. I assume to compare apples with apples not pears. I was and am convinced by the diagnois as I failed both, albeit different, tests.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies. My cousin's husband has had an hbA1c done and I think he said it was about 43. Not diabetic myself and am only used to husband's much higher levels, but do read stuff on this site regularly and value the advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies. My cousin's husband has had an hbA1c done and I think he said it was about 43. Not diabetic myself and am only used to husband's much higher levels, but do read stuff on this site regularly and value the advice.

43 is definately pre-diabetic. The cut off level for T2 is 48 and above. 41 and under is non-diabetic.

Reactions: Juso

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 fasting are not pre-diabetic in my country (Norway). Your fasting blood sugar has to be 6.0-6.9 mmol at least two times for being diagnosed as pre-diabetic were I live.

Diagnosing someone for being diabetic with just a fasting blood test of 5.6 sounds strange to me. I think I speak for most diabetics when I say any diabetic would be happy to start the day off with such a reading.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It doesn’t make much difference at all with insurance if not on meds (metformin ok too I think). I have a worldwide annual policy with a fantastic company and it only assed £22 to my premium, mainly because of USA.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 fasting are not pre-diabetic in my country (Norway). Your fasting blood sugar has to be 6.0-6.9 mmol at least two times for being diagnosed as pre-diabetic were I live.

Diagnosing someone for being diabetic with just a fasting blood test of 5.6 sounds strange to me. I think I speak for most diabetics when I say any diabetic would be happy to start the day off with such a reading.
Thanks. I'll pass all the info on to him.