Finger prick testing: things I wish I'd known from the start

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still only a couple of months in on this, and I thought it might be useful to compile a list of things I wish I'd known from the outset. (Actually, one I did, but I've seen others comment that they didn't.)

1) +/- 15% tolerance on the meter, on most tests, meets the requirements for accuracy. Read the leaflet that comes with the meter and strips, to see the accuracy of your specific device. 15% either way means that a true 6.0 can read anything between 5.1 and 6.9. If in doubt about a reading, re-test. Average out 3 or more if needed, or go with the two that are closest together.

2) You aren't trying to get blood onto the window of the test strip, you're trying to get it into the middle of a 3 layer sandwich through a tiny slot in the end. (I only discovered this, peeling apart a used test strip.) The best way to get a sample without accidentally smearing it is to touch the very end of the test strip to the droplet of blood at 45 to 90 degrees to your finger.

3) Clean hands can make all the difference for an accurate test result, but rinse and dry thoroughly, since any residual soap or water will break the surface tension of the sample and cause it to smear rather than form a droplet. Another recommendation I've seen is to finger prick, wipe the first sample away, squeeze some more blood out, and test that.

4) Probably the best/least painful test site is on the side of a finger or thumb, next to the nail, though not so close that the droplet flows onto the nail.

5) Many people don't replace their lancet after every test. Some do, though some replace daily, or even less frequently.

6) Factor in the cost of strips when choosing a meter. That'll be the bulk of the cost over time, and the cheapest meters don't necessarily have the cheapest test strips.

Additions, corrections and disagreements welcome. I'm not saying I have all of this right, or that my test meter works like everyone else's.

Reactions: Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great comments - but I think that different ppl have different 'comfort zones' on their fingers.
My most comfortable prick zone is on the finger pad, but out to the side, not anywhere near the middle. It means I can get 4 fingerpricks on each pad (2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock) before moving on to the next finger, allowing plenty of recovery time before I cycle round to the same finger again - although I prefer to use my ring fingers and little fingers, since they see the least use during daily life.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing i found is that if you can avoid it you should avoid the pad of your finger any way. The more you prick you slowly kill off the nerves, so if you use the pad of your finger you may end up loosing sensation in it (If its away from the middle this is less of an issue as you dont use that part of your finger for much that needs a sensitive toutch)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, very good comments, but much depends on the meter and type of strips. For example, I use an Accuchek Mobile meter in which the test strips are fully enclosed in a cartridge of 50 tests inside the meter., so there is no handling of the strip. The correct way with these meters is to dangle the droplet over the strip and let the strip suck it up without letting the finger touch the strip. I am also one that finds it more painful to use the side of my finger. I use the pads in different places and alternate the fingers on a rota. My thumb gives the most blood.