1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fingers hurt from testing ?

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by prickles1998, May 20, 2014.

1. prickles1998

prickles1998 Type 1 · Active Member

Does anyone elses fingers ache from testing ? Im beginning to get tough skin on my fingers where I test and they can be sore too . Does anyone have any ideas what to do with this maybe some hand cream or something ? Thanks x Nikki

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 4
  2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

I get the same occasionally. Do you use different fingers and use side of finger ? That helps a little.

3. prickles1998

Yeah I always change to different sides of fingers etc..I think I just have very sensitive skin unfortunately ..moisturising doesn't really help either so I dont really know what else I can do . Thank you though

4. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

Have it on the lowest setting that draws blood and change lancet regularly. If not, unsure what else to advise. Mine are pretty sore though ! Bummer :)

5. Jan68

Jan68 Parent · Member

HI my daughter was taught to use her arm (just below the elbo), as there are a lot of nerve ending in your fingertips and more painful.

6. prickles1998

Oh that's really interesting ..do you get much blood from it ? My meter is very temperamental like that ..it must have more than enough blood ..

7. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

Google: alternate site palm glucose.
    Your palm is ok for accuracy, arm is a half hour behind so it.s ok for fasting or before meal tests

8. lucyturniptree

lucyturniptree Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find that alternative sites tend to hurt more and give less blood than my fingers. Tried palms and arms and all sorts of other places. Fingers do hurt from testing, but I try to alternate and not use my "texting" fingers! Use I avoid the pads on my fingers as they hurt far too much after repeated testing.

9. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

I once tried testing my toes instead, thinking they must be similar to fingers (I was in hospital, so they were accessible). Take it from me, they are nothing like fingers: it was hard to get any blood, the prick was astonishingly painful and the site took much longer to stop hurting. And sucking the blood off was a challenge!

I found my stomach was quite a good place, but that didn't help much as I needed it for insulin injections. I did have some success with the fleshy bit of the side of my hand.

In the end I came back to the routine of using the left side of each finger in turn near the tip, then the right side, then the left again but nearer the knuckle, then the right. That gives a total of 40 sites, though they are rather close to each other.

Kate

10. sophsss

sophsss Type 1 · Member

E45 is a very good hand cream. I've used this since I began pricking my fingers earlier on this year when diagnosed, other than that I aren't sure what to advise x

11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some lancets are more painful than others use the multclx from accu chek and fnd this quite gentle but I only test a couple of times a day so am no expert
    CAROL

12. Blondie153

Blondie153 · Well-Known Member

We were given double base cream which is good a little greasy but if you out it on before bedtime

13. Alan S

Alan S Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Please read this: Painless Pricks

14. Hollister

Hollister Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Turn it on the lowest setting and change oyur lancet alot. It's more like bruising under the skin :(
    I have lots of scars on my fingers from testing, it's proof we're all soldiers :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. iScream

iScream Type 1 · Active Member

Make sure you replace the lancet each time you test your bs.

16. Kirstykanga99

Kirstykanga99 Type 1 · Member

Hi Nikki

You should try using different fingers maybe you are using the same finger.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook