Finland in January

Kateo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been searching the internet for how to keep my insulin safe while in an extreme cold climate. I use FRIO bags when travelling but have never travelled anywhere this cold before and FRIO say they can not guarantee their bags are safe in possible -20° weather conditions cos they’ve not been tested. We will be outdoors most of the time so will need my insulin with me but don’t know what to put it in. I thought this would be a quick search, a product widely used by T1’s would come up and I’d buy it but the best and only advice I’ve read is ‘don’t let your insulin freeze!’ How? Thats my question. (and shouting this at my phone hasn’t helped)

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have been searching the internet for how to keep my insulin safe while in an extreme cold climate. I use FRIO bags when travelling but have never travelled anywhere this cold before and FRIO say they can not guarantee their bags are safe in possible -20° weather conditions cos they’ve not been tested. We will be outdoors most of the time so will need my insulin with me but don’t know what to put it in. I thought this would be a quick search, a product widely used by T1’s would come up and I’d buy it but the best and only advice I’ve read is ‘don’t let your insulin freeze!’ How? Thats my question. (and shouting this at my phone hasn’t helped)
Just thinking logically here, could you keep it close to your body? How long are in you Finland for? (Sounds fun, if cold).

PeterBeggs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried a thermas they keep temperature really good , so probably you can use ur bag and still put the bag inside the thermas and close the lid. Idk just trying to help

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely do NOT use Frio - they keep insulin cool through evaporation/condensation. They do not insulate which is what you need in the cold.
In cold climates (yes, that includes -20 degrees in Finland), I just keep my insulin in an inside pocket.
You also need to keep a finger prick meter warm as it can stop working when it gets too cold. It does start working again when warm again.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carry insulin in a bag that hangs around my neck so that the insulin is under my clothes, over my chest.

Kateo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just thinking logically here, could you keep it close to your body? How long are in you Finland for? (Sounds fun, if cold).
We are only there for 4 days. 2 nights in a hotel, 1 night in a glass igloo and a night in the ice hotel!!! I’m very excited by the trip but don’t want 4 days of worrying if my insulin will make it… yes, I think I may try and find something that straps to me without adding any more bulk than I’m already planning on wearing! Layers… that’s the key (apparently)

Reactions: EllieM

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are only there for 4 days. 2 nights in a hotel, 1 night in a glass igloo and a night in the ice hotel!!! I’m very excited by the trip but don’t want 4 days of worrying if my insulin will make it… yes, I think I may try and find something that straps to me without adding any more bulk than I’m already planning on wearing! Layers… that’s the key (apparently)
Can’t help insulin wise but just wanted to say your break sounds fabulous- I’m a little jealous as I’ve always wanted to visit the ice hotel, have a wonderful time :)

Kateo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Definitely do NOT use Frio - they keep insulin cool through evaporation/condensation. They do not insulate which is what you need in the cold.
In cold climates (yes, that includes -20 degrees in Finland), I just keep my insulin in an inside pocket.
You also need to keep a finger prick meter warm as it can stop working when it gets too cold. It does start working again when warm again.
Thanks, I’ll do that. It’s good to hear other people say what they have actually done and works. I assume my sensors will work being underneath clothing (I use libre 2) and I’ll keep my backup finger pricker in the hotel / indoors to be safe

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume my sensors will work being underneath clothing (I use libre 2) and I’ll keep my backup finger pricker in the hotel / indoors to be safe
I would not be so sure about my Libre if I was out for most of the day regardless of the temperature. However, I have read others say they have issues with their Libre when it gets cold.
Personally, I would want to keep my meter with me - being away from home means my usual schedule is not followed so my BG may get higher or lower than usual and into the less accu range of a CGM.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some hand warmers, insulated bag and a robust thermometer should do the trick. I like the Whitby Warmers that run on lighter fluid. Do a test run (without insulin) in your freezer. Some BG meters don't like the cold either so keep it and test strips in your warm bag.

Reactions: Kateo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Our daughter built and spent a couple of nights in the Canadian version of an igloo, she said it got very warm and they all had to shed their cold weather proof outer layers.
I don’t know if an ice hotel or a glass igloo also gets warm but I’d take a frio just in case they do

Reactions: Kateo

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I’ll look into that too
I don't think you'll be able to take lighter fluid on the plane, but get some there and 100ml will keep everything warm for 4 or 5 days when off grid.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know if an ice hotel or a glass igloo also gets warm but I’d take a frio just in case they do
I don't think they meant it got over 30 °C in their Canadian igloo. No need for a Frio, which can only be used to keep insulin cool.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I crawled into the ice house, the Canadian igloo, and had to shed my parka, scarf, hat, jumpers. I also thought of shedding base layers but didn’t want to frighten the bears.

• Funny
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

Kateo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just as an update in case anyone else has the same experience… my daughter knitted me a pouch with a neck strap, the size of my usual insulin case that I wore daily over my first 2 layers and under everything else. It got to -30° when we were out one night watching the northern lights (amazing light show and a life highlight) and it worked beautifully. I also got the usb hand warmers which were incredibly effective and they kept my phone and the backup finger pricker working. My libre worked throughout. So thank you all for the help and advice. As ever it was invaluable.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
It sounds like a fantastic trip @Kateo . Thank you so much for sharing your cold weather tips.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77