1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fire Service and pumps.

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Jack2311, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Jack2311

Jack2311 · Newbie

Hi, this is my first post here although I have been diagnosed with T1 diabetes for quite a few years now. I am currently on multiple injections but my HbA1C has gradually increased ( mainly due to DP and insulin resistance ) to 70.
    My nurse suggested a pump which has been approved. I should be getting one ( not sure what one ) in a few months time.
    My concern is that I am a whole time firefighter and wondered if there are any fire service personnel here who use a pump ? If so, is there a certain make that is ok in a fire situation ? What are the negatives ? What should I do ? Lastly, what pump would you recommend ( I need one that can cope with fairly high doses due to insulin resistance ).
    Many thanks in advance.
    Jack :)

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Jack,
    Not sure about fire service but we have a paramedic on a pump as a member.
    As for type you’ll need to talk to your team because not all pumps are supported across the different CCGs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jack2311

Jack2311 · Newbie

Thanks for reply Diakat. I am unsure what pumps will be on offer as yet. I asked for a rough estimate on wait time and was told Spring.
    If anyone has any experience of pumps and extreme heat etc I would be grateful to hear from you.
    Thanks again :)

4. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, that’s a tricky one because insulin won’t survive in extreme heat and it could potentially damage your pump. I guess you’ll have to ask your team where they stand on you using a pump with a dangerous temperature for insulin and pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have the Medtronic 670G and from reading the guide, I should avoid exposing my pump in extreme temperatures below 5° and above 40°. So that’s something for you to think about.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You might want to find out what they offer sooner rather than later, I've just been trying to get a pump and found out that my hospital offer one pump (ie. no choice) and if you want a different one you need a very good reason and it'll take a lot longer as they need to put in an Individual Funding Request (that's the bit that will take the time - 5-6 months apparently)

7. Jack2311

Jack2311 · Newbie

Thanks for all your helpful replies. I will enquire what pumps are available and take it from there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jack, you can get grip bags to go over pump and keep it cool. I would suggest that would be essential. My concern would be the cannula and tubing melting

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook