First appointment at new clinic tomorrow

cath67plum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My GP has referred me to a different diabetes clinic because I was not happy were I was.

I have my first appointment at the new clinic tomorrow? Nervous ... feeling 'not good enough' .... but also excited ... 'a different experience?'

I have been on a pump for 15 months but with little support. I want to become a better manager of my diabetes and be able to use the tools I have in particular my pump more effectively - so I'm thinking about what goals, agenda and questions do I want to set for my first appointment.

What would be on your list?

Catherine

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @cath67plum I think when handling sensitive subjects within the NHS we do have remember that as patients we do have rights, therefore we have to stand up and complain if we don't feel we are getting the right service/support we believe we should be entitled to, I've had to complain again to my surgery about a reduction in test strips for the second time in 3 years and was nervous about writing the letter but unless I stand up and complain then the surgery will continue to carry on this practice.

In regards to the support you receive with your pump, my experience has been to email my DSN every 3-4 weeks with my results which I download via Carelink, we then do a review and adjust settings where necessary, more often than not I will do it myself but as I want my DSN to support me we work together and I advise her when I make any adjustments, this arrangement works well as Medtronic Carelink can be accessed by her and she is receptive to emails and I get a quick response, I probably only meet her once or twice a year but most of our communication is email.

Reactions: tircoed

cath67plum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @cath67plum I think when handling sensitive subjects within the NHS we do have remember that as patients we do have rights, therefore we have to stand up and complain if we don't feel we are getting the right service/support we believe we should be entitled to, I've had to complain again to my surgery about a reduction in test strips for the second time in 3 years and was nervous about writing the letter but unless I stand up and complain then the surgery will continue to carry on this practice.

In regards to the support you receive with your pump, my experience has been to email my DSN every 3-4 weeks with my results which I download via Carelink, we then do a review and adjust settings where necessary, more often than not I will do it myself but as I want my DSN to support me we work together and I advise her when I make any adjustments, this arrangement works well as Medtronic Carelink can be accessed by her and she is receptive to emails and I get a quick response, I probably only meet her once or twice a year but most of our communication is email.

Thanks juicyj for your reply - I'm glad to read how you get help and support - I was thinking along those lines but was then worried that I might be asking for too much or that my expectations were too high!