First day on dialysis

Sugar pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
banana's, fake people,
Today I completed my first training day for dialysis and also my first time at dialysing. Hopefully by Thursday I will be competent in doing this by myself and ready to do at home this weekend. It has been a very emotional roller-coaster for me and my family. I have been waiting for a transplant for 8months and 2 weeks and didn't think it would ever come to this. I have had type 1 diabetes for 29years since the age of 5. I just would like to say to all those newly diagnosed to enjoy life but don't become too complacent with your diabetes, listen to your body and the experts. Not sure the reason of tis post but just wanted to share my story. Love to you all xxx

Reactions: 10 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chin up. Are you getting sick of hearing this yet?
It would be overwhelmingly emotional to most people. From reading your posts here, I think you will handle it

Reactions: 5 people

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I completed my first training day for dialysis and also my first time at dialysing. Hopefully by Thursday I will be competent in doing this by myself and ready to do at home this weekend. It has been a very emotional roller-coaster for me and my family. I have been waiting for a transplant for 8months and 2 weeks and didn't think it would ever come to this. I have had type 1 diabetes for 29years since the age of 5. I just would like to say to all those newly diagnosed to enjoy life but don't become too complacent with your diabetes, listen to your body and the experts. Not sure the reason of tis post but just wanted to share my story. Love to you all xxx

very sorry to hear you are on dyalisis and it must be very scary, I am at a point in my life in early diabetes, I maybe heading with kidney trouble just waiting for me results back what the outcome will be and I would be so fearful to have anyone put me on dyalisis, i watched some video on youtube to see what it is like, and even read about it, and my heart goes out to you and other people having to go through this, i pray for those who are finding it hard, I pray for you and I hope all works out for you, support and guidance and love from those around you can be helpful, i can imagine the emotional strain when getting told you have to go on dyalisis must be hard, I am though glad you have done the course and is going forward the best you can, do not give up, be strong and i know you can over come the hurdle,there is no easy quick fix or answer to some things, I dread the day I end up on one i really do i think all who are on this is brave, sending my big hugs x to you my thoughts are with you.

Reactions: 3 people

Sugar pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
banana's, fake people,
Thanks so much everyone for your support. I have now completed my training and going it alone at home tomorrow night. The nursing staff have been brilliant and they do an amazing job. Even after just three days of dialysing my blood work has improved. I feel very tired and my muscles ache but feeling much more optimistic and taking each day slowly. Sending lots of love to everyone and big hugs to those who need one. Night ZZZzzzzz.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased for you! It will make a big difference, won't it?

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much everyone for your support. I have now completed my training and going it alone at home tomorrow night. The nursing staff have been brilliant and they do an amazing job. Even after just three days of dialysing my blood work has improved. I feel very tired and my muscles ache but feeling much more optimistic and taking each day slowly. Sending lots of love to everyone and big hugs to those who need one. Night ZZZzzzzz.
very happy to hear your doing dyalisis at home and your going at the pace your comfortable with, big hugs and thinking of you positively,glad the staff have treated you wonderful x

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity

Hope things improve for you x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The very best of luck, Sugarpie, I hope the dialysis goes smoothly for you, and that you get the transplant you need very soon. It's a rough ride, but there is hope - my friend had her transplant last year after ages on dialysis (she had a rare matching problem ), and it's revolutionised her life :)
Stay strong, and my thoughts are with you .

Signy