First day on the slopes with the Libre!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

Just thought I’d share I survived my first day (afternoon) back on the slopes! I’d forgotten how much effort it takes just to put your boots on and carry your skis!!
Thanks to the forum advice I kept my Libre in a lanyard and my Omnipod in a sock close to my skin for warmth!
My levels remained mostly within range although I did skip lunch which lead to a slight rise, Libre said 10 but monitor said 8 so it wasn’t too bad.
My main issue today was my hands and feet. At least 5 times I had a horrible sensation where my hands/feet were very cold and painful. Other than wearing an extra layer or two is there any advice to stop this happening?
It was pretty leisurely day so will see how I get on tomorrow, I’m expecting a drop in levels as I often see a late impact following exercise.

fb659c61a0780e34580922ea13fea1ae.jpg
2473a65ece704733aeee3d0cfb590e2c.jpg
1e891aef57c4a695327200f172fc81c4.jpg

Last edited:

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
My feet get very cold when cycling in low temperatures, but I discovered Lidl was selling heated insoles at £1.28 per pair so bought a few. I've found them just great. They are single use but last for over 7 hours. I also carry a couple of reusable chemical hand warmers which are pretty good for thawing my paws when they get too cold.
I'm reliably informed that Santa may be bringing me battery heated insoles. A very slim lithium battery that can be recharged is in the sole.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it might be to late for this advice but I am sure there is a thinsulate product for hands and could be in the boots you are wearing.

looking good on the slopes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tiredoftrying2017 - I'm a massive fan of silk or bamboo base layers. They tend to be very, very thin indeed, but actually not that delicate (this is knitted silk or bamboo), and exceedingly warm.

As is usually the case, these things aren't the cheapest, but they last years and the socks dry in about the same time as a pair of tights, so it is credible to rinse them out, if you can't justify enough pairs to last a holiday.

What sort of ambient temperatures are you experiencing there? It looks pretty parky. Brrrrrrrr!

Reactions: mytype1.life

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone, I’ll see if I can pick anything up

The temperature varied depending on how high we were but lowest was -9, highs of 3.

Reactions: himtoo

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even thin pop socks as a cheap extra layer on your feet can help keep them warm. And don't over tighten your boots so you can wriggle your toes!

Enjoy and feeling jealous, as we normally go skiing at Xmas but aren't this year when there is a load of snow in the Alps. Where are you?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even thin pop socks as a cheap extra layer on your feet can help keep them warm. And don't over tighten your boots so you can wriggle your toes!

Enjoy and feeling jealous, as we normally go skiing at Xmas but aren't this year when there is a load of snow in the Alps. Where are you?

Thank you!

I’ve got a extra layer on today so fingers crossed! Also have mittens. We are in Bulgaria.

Last edited:

iHs

We always used thin plastic supermarket carrier bags to keep our feet warm on the slopes. They worked very well and dried out in no time by turning them inside out. For hands we used the plastic hand protector gloves inside the boxes of hair dye. My partner also uses these to keep his hands warm when out cycling.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We always used thin plastic supermarket carrier bags to keep our feet warm on the slopes. They worked very well and dried out in no time by turning them inside out. For hands we used the plastic hand protector gloves inside the boxes of hair dye. My partner also uses these to keep his hands warm when out cycling.

Wow, great idea! I know what to do for any next trips. Thank you

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. I’m flying home today after a great trip. Even with the change in routine and Christmas I’ve managed to achieve a 7 day average of 7.6 - this is actually good for me but I know not perfect!
Looking forward to being back in a routine and no longer having to guess every meal if I’m honest!
26051c00fd5e6760397830fae07f1372.jpg
0ab2a0700317c1252cd91ee548f0102e.jpg
2ac521b915cb71272c0a9580b8d9f323.jpg

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. I’m flying home today after a great trip. Even with the change in routine and Christmas I’ve managed to achieve a 7 day average of 7.6 - this is actually good for me but I know not perfect!
Looking forward to being back in a routine and no longer having to guess every meal if I’m honest!
26051c00fd5e6760397830fae07f1372.jpg
0ab2a0700317c1252cd91ee548f0102e.jpg
2ac521b915cb71272c0a9580b8d9f323.jpg

Glad to know you had a great time!

Where did you go? Beautiful place!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
some great pics !!:)

and that BG 7 day average is pretty amazing
considering -- in a foreign country , guestimating carbs , colder weather , change in exercise routine.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have my very extreme envy, I can barely walk to the shops without falling over. Yeah, I know I'm an idiot and a newbie but jeez I would crawl over broken glass to be able to do that right now.