First HbA1c since diagnosis

lilcricket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my first HbA1c result since being diagnosed in late January of this year and am chuffed with the results!

31/01/23 - 92 (10.6%)
12/05/23 - 34 (5.3%)

I have been taking 1 x 500mg Metformin per day since January (the idea was to slowly increase the dose but after following a low carb diet there just wasn't any need to increase it further) and hopefully next steps will be to come off this completely and manage things through diet and lifestyle alone.

Looking back on how I felt pre diagnosis to now, it's like night and day. I have so much energy, which has meant I've been able to be so much more active and actually start to enjoy exercise which in turn has improved my energy levels as well. And the impact on my mental health as well has been astounding (in a good way!). Generally feeling very good all round and want to extend a big thankyou to everyone on the forums, and for all the information and advice - it really has been key to getting me where I am now and I'm, very grateful.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done!

I know that I’m type 3c and you’re type 2 but before my diagnosis I had no energy either. I thought it was because of anaemia but judging from how much energy I have now compared to then (and still with mild anaemia) it must have been the untreated diabetes — well, more likely anyhow, I’m not a Dr

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my first HbA1c result since being diagnosed in late January of this year and am chuffed with the results!

31/01/23 - 92 (10.6%)
12/05/23 - 34 (5.3%)

I have been taking 1 x 500mg Metformin per day since January (the idea was to slowly increase the dose but after following a low carb diet there just wasn't any need to increase it further) and hopefully next steps will be to come off this completely and manage things through diet and lifestyle alone.

Looking back on how I felt pre diagnosis to now, it's like night and day. I have so much energy, which has meant I've been able to be so much more active and actually start to enjoy exercise which in turn has improved my energy levels as well. And the impact on my mental health as well has been astounding (in a good way!). Generally feeling very good all round and want to extend a big thankyou to everyone on the forums, and for all the information and advice - it really has been key to getting me where I am now and I'm, very grateful.
Congratulations @lilcricket you've done so well turning your health around and brilliant that you've got your energy back - a very big incentive to keep it going. Well done

Reactions: lilcricket

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Super result and all your own work! We can say but you have to do, and you've read and listened and done it. You will be an inspiration to others.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

31/01/23 - 92 (10.6%)
12/05/23 - 34 (5.3%)

Fantastic effort on your part. Keep doing all that produced this result. Congratulations.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

31/01/23 - 92 (10.6%)
12/05/23 - 34 (5.3%)

Well done, lilcricket.

I was diagnosed about six weeks ago with a HbA1c reading of 68 (8.4%).

I was feeling really tired and couldn't concentrate, was off work for a few weeks, but now am on a staged return. I really do feel much better, even though I haven't really felt any newfound energy despite my new low-carb diet (well, way of life, really). Mentally, I feel much better too.

I'd like to echo your thanks to the people here who reassured me and encouraged me. I hope to mirror your drop in my next HbA1c test - I was given 1g of metformin, but after the flatulence and bloating, I decided to try diet only, and I'll tell my GP that I'll carry on this way until my next results. I hope they're promising.

I love a good news story. Keep it up! x